Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Post Re: Moving forward with the endgame - mods & content
s_m_w wrote:
I would like to comment on one particular statement:
Quote:
This game has alot of issue for solo players. Bringing solo players on your run just means you get less loot.

Objectively, this is not true.
Bringing more characters than required to kill a boss does not have any benefits to it. Which means if someone who multiclients brings an additional person, despite being able to do the content himself just fine, he may have to split the loot with said additional person.

This situation is identical to a group of friends bringing an additional friend, despite being able to do the content by themselves. It is one additional possible recipient of loot with no additional loot being dropped.
(Note: often loot seems to be handed out on a per-player basis, rather than per-character. This system obviously hurts people who bring multiple characters the most. I find it a rather strange decision.)

The two factors that make MCing so desirable is perfect availability and, for lack of a better word, pure communism. Every character of someone who MCs an entire squad will always be available, making scheduling redundant. This is a big, big factor. Every piece of loot gained by this MC squad will most likely use it in whichever way the entire squad gets stronger. There's no rolls involved. It's all for the greater good, in a sense.

I strongly believe that a dedicated and disciplined group of solo players with council-like loot distribution would be far more effective than a single player who MCs. More involved boss fights and more additions that reward activevely playing a character (Super Items, tweaks), combined with a bigger playerbase to reduce scheduling issues and perhaps tools to assist in forming squads should aid Solo Players in their progression quite significantly.

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding the point correctly, but you said that there isn't, objectively, an issue for solo players, then listed all the reasons why solo players have difficulties? If a player doesn't have to bring an additional player, but does, then usually there's an understanding that that player doesn't receive any loot.

For your last point, when I was on Imperium, which was all solo players, including me at that point, it had one of the worst loot distribution systems I'd been a part of. In fact I left the team because of how awful it was. Many of the points about solo players I'm writing from my own experience. In fact, when my characters were already maxed I pretty much gave out all my loot for an entire year to teammates who needed it, which helped them all much more than anything they could have done. Ironically MCing helped the solo players the most in this instance. I have known quite a few players who do this, and the reason I did it myself is because of several people being extremely generous toward myself.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Masterful wrote:
The Salty One wrote:
If you want to get rid of the old mod system, why not prevent mods/introduce a new system on t23+ gear and leave the old stuff to lose relevance? Maybe add slightly easier alternatives to modded weapons (etc.) like a straight up weapon slots -> stats item; could give extra super items lots, capacitor slots or just stat bonuses like the old system.

That's basically what this suggests.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to want to remove the old mod system entirely.

One thing I'll note is that most of the big expansions recently have wanted to keep an element of the side grade and new mechanics alive, or making things cheaper for newbies (subspace). There is no CaL+, VJOS+, ares sapper+ or whatever. Adding an entirely new T23+ zone with enough loot to replace all the old content will not only be a huge amount of work to do properly, but also make those old zones obsolete. I don't think the game has enough content to just throw the old stuff away- if nothing else the drop rates and build costs on *obsolete* zones would have to be adjusted.

As for the solo player thing, there's a simple thing people seem to overlook: MC-ers tend to have 1 or 2 combat characters per account. A solo player will want more- need more if they're going to fulfil a specific squad role. They can't field all those alts at once, so they are less effective. If they want to gear all those alts, they have to do more runs. Example: it takes 5 characters to kill RattieMoe. MC-er kills him 5 times and gets a ration for each character. Solo player's squad kills him 5 times- solo player wins roll, hopefully gets something he actually needs, then repeats to gear his other character.

On the flip side solo player just has 1 character and needs to get lucky with the RNG. Regardless, all the other stuff still applies. Hard to find squads, bringing legit nubs in need of gear = less loot for people killing it, is hard to find squads of nubs...

Last edited by The Salty One on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am
Content Dev
Main: s_m_w
Level: 1512

No, I can agree that there are issues. I was referring to:
Quote:
Bringing solo players on your run just means you get less loot.

Get the Beta Client here and test new features and changes on the test server

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am

The Salty One wrote:
Masterful wrote:
The Salty One wrote:
If you want to get rid of the old mod system, why not prevent mods/introduce a new system on t23+ gear and leave the old stuff to lose relevance? Maybe add slightly easier alternatives to modded weapons (etc.) like a straight up weapon slots -> stats item; could give extra super items lots, capacitor slots or just stat bonuses like the old system.

That's basically what this suggests.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to want to remove the old mod system entirely.

One thing I'll note is that most of the big expansions recently have wanted to keep an element of the side grade and new mechanics alive, or making things cheaper for newbies (subspace). There is no CaL+, VJOS+, ares sapper+ or whatever. Adding an entirely new T23+ zone with enough loot to replace all the old content will not only be a huge amount of work to do properly, but also make those old zones obsolete. I don't think the game has enough content to just throw the old stuff away- if nothing else the drop rates and build costs on *obsolete* zones would have to be adjusted.

I don't disagree with your points. It's just really difficult to find a way to let players catch up with over modded gear without harming players who dropped trillions into gear - which enkelin said would be the case. Simply grandfathering out of it is the most simple solution, which is A LOT of work, although I'm more than happy to support anything that works toward the end goal. As far as gear goes, I don't think it's necessary to replace all the loot. Most of the problems lie in weapon/shield mods.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

s_m_w wrote:
Quote:

Have a look at my edited post. It fundamentally means less loot unless you have a core of experienced people who do runs regularly enough to work well together, which is rare.

I can MC most content zones in the game as well as or better than a random squad and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. It can mean more work, yes, but is rewarded with more loot.

I feel the loot mechanics, power curve and active player base have brought us to the point we're at. At least some of these things need to be addressed or you won't see real change.

Edit: You're also assuming all characters are equally difficult to gear, which is false.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 am
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

I might not be at endgame, nor do my words carry much weight because of that fact, But i feel agreement with the point of this game in general not really needing an item sink, as sabre said.

Maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but things in the late/endgame look like they take long enough to obtain as it is.
Making an item sink so you have to get a single item tons of times just to get the perfect stats makes these items less accessible to the people that just need the item itself so that they can progress- because this arbitrary item sink jacks up the prices due to the fact people already having the item still want it, and these people more often than not have the means to buy at much higher prices than the items should normally be.

And that also applies to when one goes on a group run, because someone is always losing out- either some already at endgame doesn't get another item to attempt to perfect roll, or you don't get the item to progress.

This is made worse by lockouts that are ridiculously long, making just getting those items a pain in the ass as it forces you to either spend a LONG time waiting for lockouts to hopefully get a lucky roll for the item (or have a generous teammate), or spend credits on an overpriced item on the market.

At the end of the day, the fact that there is an item sink at all in this game is really weird and goes against logical progression imo, it just makes loot more difficult to obtain for players that actually NEED the item.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 am

Moonlightneo wrote:
I might not be at endgame, nor do my words carry much weight because of that fact, But i feel agreement with the point of this game in general not really needing an item sink, as sabre said.

Maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but things in the late/endgame look like they take long enough to obtain as it is.
Making an item sink so you have to get a single item tons of times just to get the perfect stats makes these items less accessible to the people that just need the item itself so that they can progress- because this arbitrary item sink jacks up the prices due to the fact people already having the item still want it, and these people more often than not have the means to buy at much higher prices than the items should normally be.

And that also applies to when one goes on a group run, because someone is always losing out- either some already at endgame doesn't get another item to attempt to perfect roll, or you don't get the item to progress.

This is made worse by lockouts that are ridiculously long, making just getting those items a pain in the ass as it forces you to either spend a LONG time waiting for lockouts to hopefully get a lucky roll for the item (or have a generous teammate), or spend credits on an overpriced item on the market.

At the end of the day, the fact that there is an item sink at all in this game is really weird and goes against logical progression imo, it just makes loot more difficult to obtain for players that actually NEED the item.

One of the ways that can solve that is by having a mechanism where players can just progressively buff or upgrade their gear, sort of like augmenters for items you can destroy/reset. A new mod system like this is ideally how T23/new content would operate.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am

Moonlightneo wrote:

The item sink is somewhat needed due to how slowly SS content is released. A possible alternative is having more neurobound rewards for individual players and standard loot drops for squads to roll on, but there has to be *something* worth grinding to upgrade. As annoying as it may be, bindomite actually does that very well- the chances of perfect mods on (non bugged...) binds keeps people binding, even creates a submarket for otherwise worthless gear.

Maybe my sense of value is skewed but most of the prohibitively expensive things I can think of would still be rare and expensive without bindomite. That's just a discrepancy in income and overall wealth between new and old players. Unless the market component of the game is gutted I'm not entirely sure how that would be resolved.

I'd argue the game needs more ways of recycling old loot. The junkyard was a first.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:43 am
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

s_m_w wrote:
Quote:

Still, I can't seem to understand what you mean. I can do alot of runs, alone; if I bring someone else I'd have to share loot with said person, and all he did was just *tag along* and did nothing.

I still can't see how a Solo Player isn't dependant of MC'ers, even if they buy their items, it has been acquired thanks to MC'ing. And using the Twisted system, with how Tokens work there Solo Players aren't left behind and even if they don't get any loot they can still progress and get items.

To those that are opposed to the Token system because you can *farm* them, you only get them from actually killing the bosses. Since the bosses have 1 week lockout now; it's not that straightforward to farm them like how you are describing it. It's just a matter of time.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Smw the crux of your retort requires # of actual solo players, and you do mention it in your last line, more players! Of course with a huge player base and a run finder everyone would be better off solo.

Masterful is obviously getting utility out of helping but I bet that would swiftly cease on the dawn of a new tech.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: CLXXXIII
Level: 6059

Masterful wrote:
s_m_w wrote:
I would like to comment on one particular statement:
Quote:
This game has alot of issue for solo players. Bringing solo players on your run just means you get less loot.

Objectively, this is not true.
Bringing more characters than required to kill a boss does not have any benefits to it. Which means if someone who multiclients brings an additional person, despite being able to do the content himself just fine, he may have to split the loot with said additional person.

This situation is identical to a group of friends bringing an additional friend, despite being able to do the content by themselves. It is one additional possible recipient of loot with no additional loot being dropped.
(Note: often loot seems to be handed out on a per-player basis, rather than per-character. This system obviously hurts people who bring multiple characters the most. I find it a rather strange decision.)

The two factors that make MCing so desirable is perfect availability and, for lack of a better word, pure communism. Every character of someone who MCs an entire squad will always be available, making scheduling redundant. This is a big, big factor. Every piece of loot gained by this MC squad will most likely use it in whichever way the entire squad gets stronger. There's no rolls involved. It's all for the greater good, in a sense.

I strongly believe that a dedicated and disciplined group of solo players with council-like loot distribution would be far more effective than a single player who MCs. More involved boss fights and more additions that reward activevely playing a character (Super Items, tweaks), combined with a bigger playerbase to reduce scheduling issues and perhaps tools to assist in forming squads should aid Solo Players in their progression quite significantly.

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding the point correctly, but you said that there isn't, objectively, an issue for solo players, then listed all the reasons why solo players have difficulties? If a player doesn't have to bring an additional player, but does, then usually there's an understanding that that player doesn't receive any loot.

For your last point, when I was on Imperium, which was all solo players, including me at that point, it had one of the worst loot distribution systems I'd been a part of. In fact I left the team because of how awful it was. Many of the points about solo players I'm writing from my own experience. In fact, when my characters were already maxed I pretty much gave out all my loot for an entire year to teammates who needed it, which helped them all much more than anything they could have done. Ironically MCing helped the solo players the most in this instance. I have known quite a few players who do this, and the reason I did it myself is because of several people being extremely generous toward myself.

BULLSHIT ALARM BULLSHIT ALARM

i know people dont like how i do my rolls

masterful was only for extremly short time on Imperium and before he even came into our team, he was back with his friends (RE) sharing accounts and multiaccounting to do pps farm 24/7, because we couldnt do it fast enough for him and he was angry because a new guy that wasnt even t22 got something he wanted.

he only stayed to get a shot on the merchant contriver that we build back than.

btw.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarSonata/com ... s_game_as/

i dont agree to most points i made back than but the topic is so old....

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:56 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Pontius123 wrote:
Tbbt made a post about Metal Income. 627 million metal per day from 22 bases sitting on at least 100 extractor slots. Reduce this by 100 because that's how much the factory uses to make each Steel Girder. Use conservative Steel Girder price of 10,000 credits per,

Everyone please excuse me, maxa and I need to go to the wood shed a minute here.

Extraction Expert on metals = 6/(.935^30)= about 45 metals per minute per extractor
45 per minute x 60 minutes x 24 hours = 64,800 per day per extractor
2 extractors x 100 spaces x 22 plants = 4,400 total extractors (no i will not assume anyone has 2200 undead miners until i see them)

64800 x 4400 = 285,220,000

10,000 sale price x 1000 metal per unit x 285 million metals = 2,852,200,000

2.8 billion a day is the kind of money i make from trading in pirate dubloon missions maxa. If the math you where telling me added up, this arguement would go a whole lot faster, but it keeps NOT adding up. They would need 10 times that number of bases on every major commodity to get the money you are crediting them with. SO unless you are asserting some one dropped 220 bases PRE Base Slot Revision, those numbers are not possible. I have the old Base Slot Calculator, the most you can get is 26 t9s if you have NO defenses at all. Even if he had the Undead Miners and used t16's, he STILL does not get there. And none of this even addresses the fact that he would need 50 stations a day buying JUST THE GIRDERS! Someone had fun trolling the server you guys.... no, not me, try again.

sabre198 wrote:
I dunno I for one was thinking Rendhghasts posts are getting up there I was finding myself agreeing with a lot of that post especially the retardedness of neurobinding everything as a solution which ultimately hurts the market as a side effect reducing V, the velocity of trade.

I had been looking for a signature quote for ages, ty!

The Salty One wrote:
On the flip side solo player just has 1 character and needs to get lucky with the RNG. Regardless, all the other stuff still applies. Hard to find squads, bringing legit nubs in need of gear = less loot for people killing it, is hard to find squads of nubs...

There as repeatedly been proposed a LFG chat channel, or alterations to the help channel allowing LFG to count as helping. If we have to wait for t23 to get that, I am going to be a very annoyed player.

Masterful wrote:
I don't disagree with your points. It's just really difficult to find a way to let players catch up with over modded gear without harming players who dropped trillions into gear - which enkelin said would be the case. Simply grandfathering out of it is the most simple solution, which is A LOT of work, although I'm more than happy to support anything that works toward the end goal.

Awesome, if all you had proposed was "T23 gear should not be Bindoable" you would again have had my full throated support. That is not what your original post said.

Moonlightneo wrote:
This is made worse by lockouts that are ridiculously long, making just getting those items a pain in the ass as it forces you to either spend a LONG time waiting for lockouts

TY sir, you have understood the core of my objections perfectly. This game needs to move away from daily and (i spit this word as i say it) Weekly lockouts. It is a reason we are loosing players. I have no clue where this idea came from, but moving forward lock outs should at most be 6 hours, and closer to 2 hours high end and 30 minutes low end. I would argue very strongly that one of the reasons late game players are so bored is that they are spending to much time waiting for lockouts to cool down.

PAUSE AND THINK. If you could hit the twisted mini's every 45 minutes, would the loot rolls be a problem? Would you even care about a couple of bad loot rolls? "Did not get the item you wanted? Hit it again. Someone else took it? Hit it again! Still no luck? Hit it AGAIN!"

The game i am used to is/was called Ragnarok Online. Most of the MVP's had lockouts of 1 to 2 hours and only a handful of high level late game MVP's might approach 6 - 8 hour lockouts. I think the longest was Ifrit at 11 hours.

When i first heard about week long lockouts, I assumed the person was telling some kind of joke.

I am uncertain whether to purpose this hear or elsewhere, but I offer the idea that lockouts should be reduced by a factor of ~24. 20+ instance Daily's should become instance Hourly's, Weekly's should be 6 hours tops, 20- Instance should be 30 minutes, and non instance should be 4-6 hours to ensure access to everyone. If you want to run cartwheels in Infernal, go bananas.

KonanCruss2 wrote:
I still can't see how a Solo Player isn't dependent of MC'ers, even if they buy their items, it has been acquired thanks to MC'ing. And using the Twisted system, with how Tokens work there Solo Players aren't left behind and even if they don't get any loot they can still progress and get items.

That is very nice, but i do not see how the proposal solves this. Lets say the token are fixed in number per kill. 5 solo players kill a boss, each gets 1 token. 1 MCer kills the same boss, he gets 5 tokens. Even if it was by character you would have 5 players with 5 tokens and 1 player with 25. This is not limiting MCing, it is handing MCers a bonanza. This would send a loud and clear message to all incoming players that the only way to advance is MCing, and if you cannot afford 5+ subs, find another game. Thumbing our nose at everyone who cannot afford $50 a month for a game is not a viable growth model. There are significantly more people who can afford $10 a month then people who can afford $50, i would guess by several factors.

I oppose this idea on the following grounds.

1) It will be a bonanza for MCers, which will send a negative message to incoming players, discouraging them from staying.
2) It will double down on the overlong lockout problem, which is also costing us players due to boredom
3) It will, depending on implementation, massively harm the existing Player 2 Player Market.
4) It will not address any of the problems the OP has purported it will, acting neither as a credit sink, nor encouraging solo squad play, nor solve the modded gear issues, nor help new players catch up.
5) It completely ignores a host of issues that ought to have higher priority, including, but not limited to, the tech 19-21 gap, overlong lockout timers, LFG problems, ect.

CLXXXIII wrote:

I could not have said it better myself, ty sir.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

CLXXXIII wrote:

i know people dont like how i do my rolls

masterful was only for extremly short time on Imperium and before he even came into our team, he was back with his friends (RE) sharing accounts and multiaccounting to do pps farm 24/7, because we couldnt do it fast enough for him and he was angry because a new guy that wasnt even t22 got something he wanted.

he only stayed to get a shot on the merchant contriver that we build back than.

What the fuck are you on about?

I had 2 accs when I was on Imperium, a Gunner and a ShM. You WANTED me to MC so we could do PPS. I started doing runs with RE toward the end because one of my friends came back to the game after a long break. When I joined RE I was one of only 2 active players.

I got angry with the roll system because, one run, there were 4 pieces of loot and one player somehow managed to end up with 3. There is absolutely no way in hell that is, in any sense, fair at all. Quite frankly I still barely use any PPS gear on the chars I had at the time, and the gear I do use Imperium either did not get, or does not drop from anything Imperium could have done.

As for the MNC, I was the one arguing for it not to be rolled on. I specifically said, to everyone, it should go to whoever could get the most use out of it. Even if I did stay on for a shot at it, I helped get it, so why is this an issue? This caused a shitstorm since one of the guys who'd done basically every run was an engi and thought it was their right to actually use the ship. I have no idea where it ended up going.

Irellok wrote:
Awesome, if all you had proposed was "T23 gear should not be Bindoable" you would again have had my full throated support. That is not what your original post said.

I've refrained from responding to your posts until now because, I know, you have either not read the thread or deliberately misinterpreted the information. The opening post says or implies, in no less than 3 places, that T23 should not operate until the current bindomite system.

1)
Masterful wrote:
[T23] would have to be immune to the problems which have thrown off game balance: mainly bindomite and stupid balance decisions (HM, Prawn).

2)
Masterful wrote:
[T23] would also have to be neurobound, or ideally operate with a new mod system.

3)
Masterful wrote:
Players who haven’t got the resources to sink into bindo’ing several hundred pieces of hydra gear can now reach an even footing in terms of gear power.

If your entire argument is because of this one mechanic, then your entire argument is invalid as you actually didn't read the post. Many of your other points show that you have no idea what you're talking about, because you've never actually done Twisted Zone: which is the model T23 would be based on. You have little to no knowledge of the endgame and how it operates, you know nothing about the bugs which have allowed endgame players to get ahead.

Quote:
1) It will be a bonanza for MCers, which will send a negative message to incoming players, discouraging them from staying.
2) It will double down on the overlong lockout problem, which is also costing us players due to boredom
3) It will, depending on implementation, massively harm the existing Player 2 Player Market.
4) It will not address any of the problems the OP has purported it will, acting neither as a credit sink, nor encouraging solo squad play, nor solve the modded gear issues, nor help new players catch up.
5) It completely ignores a host of issues that ought to have higher priority, including, but not limited to, the tech 19-21 gap, overlong lockout timers, LFG problems, ect.

1) I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at this conclusion, other than not knowing that tokens are neurobound.
2) This is not relevant to this discussion.
3) Depending on implementation is the key word here.
4) I have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion. I specifically listed the reasons it will encourage all these things. I suggest you re-read the first post when you have a knowledge of the way the endgame operates.
5) These are not relevant to this discussion.

This discussion is focused on the problem of ridiculously over-modded gear in the endgame, where long-time players have dropped trillions into getting items with perfect mods, something which players like you will never be able to do unless something changes.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm