Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: Drop Lockout timers by x25
Maybe they should of just increased drop rate and kept the low lock times on oly.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Well, maybe something for Olympus similar to how Subspace/Perilous Perilous Space works is neccessary? You're making a lot of sense Moonlightneo.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Not all that familiar with subspace tbh, i should probably do some of that content.
Im just pointing out as a player that's still pre T21, the enjoyment i can get out of the progression is severely limited once you hit T20, to the point of feeling counterproductive from a game design standpoint- arguably you want your players to have fun even after they do content with a lockout, but with a weeklong lockout you suddenly introduce a massive lack of anything that can fill that time gap with engaging, worthwhile play, because the interesting content you would need would have to be even bigger or more plentiful than the content used to progress- and this is why in something like WoW, or whatever, it works, because the team working on it is massive and can introduce side content that can fill those voids, either that or you have content you can actually grind and still feel like you're progressing statistically, issue with SS in T20+, is progressing statistically is prevented by Tech level and lack of itemization options.

-Tech level is then also prevented by the lockout because it's the only option to that particular progression. This is honestly 'fine', but could arguably be changed/added to.

-Itemization is again, also prevented by the lockout, as generally you wont find items that help you at all outside of the content you're locked out of. (though with my lack of experience in subspace, i would assume that it somewhat alleviates this, and the balancing pass that's happening to most of the gear or whatnot should also help), this is also why i made posts encouraging fun dynamics to gear/mods and referenced borderlands shields recently, but that's a different subject altogether.

Lockouts are arguably quite fine in concept, we just don't have anything worthwhile to do in the meantime, while waiting for them to end.
So then, in my opinion, we either need some content introduced to fill that time, or to reduce lockouts drastically- Or, as a midway, you could do both, for example, if oly were on a Daily lockout, i'd probably be more drawn in to trying to run it and actually playing the game. it'd also be more accessible, and once done, it shouldn't be hard to fill that 24h~ gap with something engaging that people can dick around with and not feel bored.
At the same time, i'd be fine with grindy alternatives to Oly, or a sudden influx of content that's actually interesting and holds a worthwhile value, at the end of the day i'm just talking out of my ass because i want to feel like when I'm playing after a lockout that i'm actually DOING something.
Sorry about the long rant, but yknow, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun. As it is, it feels like a chore :roll:

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:34 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Helius
Level: 3033

i think current system is fine.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

The current system is fine. The previous system was horrid. It wasn't just grinding lockouts in Olympus. You needed 9 other equally equipped players and you still took 2-3 hours. Then divide up whatever shitty loot you got between 10 people and you see why people ended up MCing that shit.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

I have enough trouble finding time to do all the lockouts as it currently is.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Moonlightneo wrote:
At the same time, i'd be fine with grindy alternatives to Oly, or a sudden influx of content that's actually interesting and holds a worthwhile value, at the end of the day i'm just talking out of my ass because i want to feel like when I'm playing after a lockout that i'm actually DOING something.
Sorry about the long rant, but yknow, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun. As it is, it feels like a chore :roll:

It's funny that you mention this, because from Tech 0-20 and Tech 22 all have content you can do that is not on a lockout at all as well as content that is on a lockout. I tend to agree with your point about there not being enough grindable, and meaningful, Tech 21 progress. I have no solution for it at present, but I do think it's worth taking seriously.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 pm
Main: The Real X
Level: 2941

Pontius123 wrote:
The current system is fine. The previous system was horrid. It wasn't just grinding lockouts in Olympus. You needed 9 other equally equipped players and you still took 2-3 hours. Then divide up whatever shitty loot you got between 10 people and you see why people ended up MCing that shit.
Meh i was soloing Oly, and it was taking about 2~ hours, So I don't know where you're getting this 3 hours thing from Oly was so easy once you had geared 5~ accounts to t21

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Real X wrote:
Pontius123 wrote:
Meh i was soloing Oly, and it was taking about 2~ hours, So I don't know where you're getting this 3 hours thing from Oly was so easy once you had geared 5~ accounts to t21

At the time, if you had an AWC, you were a god. There were maybe 10 AWCs in the entire game then.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

In the early days of oly bad players was a big reason for 3h+ runs. Juju with qa, z+, greener was the most common sniper build and it was suprisingly hard to convince people to upgrade.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 am

Antilzah wrote:
In the early days of oly bad players was a big reason for 3h+ runs. Juju with qa, z+, greener was the most common sniper build and it was suprisingly hard to convince people to upgrade.

Now people roll in with 5 T20/T21 characters and it still takes 2-3 hours. Admins simply halved the shield bank and did some minor droptable tweaks on Minis.

I listened in on some Traders, Salt&Pepper, RE, and TLOG runs on discord when they used it from time to time and 2 hours later, haven't killed the 5th boss yet. It was made more forgiving, but still takes a long fucking time.

@Blizzara

People wanted setups that could be used to solo dg. 3 CaL actually has a much harder time solo dging than Qa/Z+/Greener.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Pontius123 wrote:
People wanted setups that could be used to solo dg. 3 CaL actually has a much harder time solo dging than Qa/Z+/Greener.

Spot on. But absentis with 2 CaL, z+ was the norm - not triple CaL. But it was a setup capable of soloing t20 bosses and sustaining respectable DPS with mad thorax at oly.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 am
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

I'm pretty sure in the confines of this thread, the balance or lack thereof of any given content isn't exactly relevant to the lockouts of that content and how long they are.

That said, the (few) Oly runs i've been on only seem to take a long time because most of the time, people are MC'ing, and controlling all of those chars at the same time, takes time, or people insist on taking a short break to do irl stuff in the middle of the run (sometimes both).
Also ships be slow as fuck and a lot of that time is just moving from one boss to another.
Other than that, i do find it a tad irritating that Oly is more of a test of DPS than anything else and everything just tanks, a lot.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:34 am