Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Post Add some flare to gear! (and AI too!)
Quoting myself on another thread, what i'm suggesting is probably far fetched and likely require's a ton of work. I'm just suggesting it at face value based on something i feel is lacking in SS, and that's diversity.

Moonlightneo wrote:
This may not be on the subject of mods particularly, but mods could potentially tie in to this, unique mods potentially adding some flare to otherwise boring, generic weapons, now i aint gonna bullshit and say i have the damnest clue about what is balanced or not, so i can't speak for how well this'd work balance wise, but the possibilities are here to make things more interesting than they are currently. Just as an example, one could apply a "Type" and or "variant" to every weapon, and add exclusive mods (or maybe something other than a mod) to those with the tag, IE: 50% additional Projectiles, or Fires several times at fractional power for the same energy, projectile splits up to X times every Y seconds/distance, etc.

I'm sure you already do this to an extent with some weapons, like chain transferences, lasers and projectiles with an AoE, so and so, maybe the code isn't there for some ideas, maybe it's difficult, but i just wanna get it out there that this game has more than just new bosses/ai and altered numbers for stats, things don't have to just go up or down, they can be on a completely different level of change. This doesn't just have to include weapons, either, shields for example, you could take borderlands as an inspiration, and add effects to them when they regen, are full, are low, etc its a freakin RPG for gods sake, add some flare! :P

Basically, through some sort of upgrade or random loot system, add some specialties to gears, like for example (could use more elaboration, on the idea) finding or upgrading

-shields to make them emit a non-self-damaging explosion upon being reduced past a %
-weapons that maybe do something unique, perhaps a projectile that splits after a distance, IE: a Magcannon that at a set range does a faranji flower effect (but with magcannon bullets) that do around a 5th of the damage each.
-energies that maybe overclock when reduced past a point gaining a ton of regen, and then overheat, maybe increasing damage and or RoF but drastically reducing energy regen for a time, or possibly just increasing all stats by noticable amounts, then debuffing on end.

this general idea is basically a homage to Borderlands, where the only selling point past the funny iconic storyline is the amazing weapons, shields and such that you could pick up or buy that enhance the experience (lets face it, borderlands without it's iconic Randomized weapons and such, would just be a generic shoot-em-up with a funny story)
It's probably asking a bit much to try and get the same experience in Star Sonata, but i feel we could use a little more flare with our gear, at the least it'd certainly keep every firefight feeling unique, as an issue i have with many games is there's always a metagame everyone falls under and flocks to by default, this may not change that fact, but could better individualize players and allow more non-meta builds to come to light alongside any mod system changes and such that happen in the near future. And it'd be nice if some AI incorporated a similar system, as it would make individual AI feel more unique than "oh its just another dg forgone boss with decent mods that happens to hit hard".

For example another reference, part of the reason i play League of Legends so much, is even if a champion has the same skillset every single game, the itemization they pick can make them work entirely in different ways, with every champion there are metagame builds that pro's use, but that doesn't set in stone the way you HAVE to build a champion to have fun doing it, and still have it work, using the new shaco as an example, he can build tanky to be annoying, AD to be a physical assassin, or AP to be infuriating from afar and lure people into deathtraps, all of which are viable ways to use him with the right mindset for each build.

Getting a bit off topic, but this is how i feel Star sonata should be, where you can do things how you have fun, feel somewhat unique, and still make a competetive impact, and i feel this should go double for the AI you encounter, if a new player see's a SBB as it is, they've seen every SBB save for maybe a boss with some unique things, where if things were a bit more unique and gear could have cool effects, an SBB a player see's in one galaxy could be drastically different from one they see in another, EVEN if the AI act's exactly the same.
And that's because all it takes is a single item or effect that differs in more than just stats like damage, shields or RoF, etc to make something feel more dynamic.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:13 am