Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Post An idea to make engines..a little more specialized
Just as a disclaimer, not expecting any of this to be considered seriously, with the scope of the changes i may be proposing. But as always i post here more as inspiration if nothing else.

Engines: Aside from affecting thrust and turning, engines do not affect speed at all unless added as a bonus, this is awkward considering a car with an age old engine would generally go much slower than the same car with an expensive racing engine, but somewhat understandable in the scope of SS. With that said i do feel this could be changed and could be an interesting change.

~Proposal~
-Rework engines to, (if they don't already) have varying statistical advantages and disadvantages (high thrust, low turning, moderate all rounder, etc)*
-Add in a flat MULTIPLIER to ship base speed based on the engine, that applies before mods & augs. IE: High speed (low turning engines) could have multipliers of up to say 1.4x for example, AI would incorporate the change ideally, so vultures for example would be a good reference for these. Ideally, these multipliers could go both ways, negative and positive, so an engine with abnormally high stats could lower the speed.
For an example, a Wingship V has 130 Base speed, this wingship tacks on an engine with high thrust and 1.15 speed mult, it now has a new base speed of 149.5 before augs, mods and skills affect it. Because this would affect engines specifically, everyone would have access to them and could pick and choose what they prefer, High maneuverability, high speed, or jack of all trades.

*Speed engines with a modifier for the speed stat should probably still have that modifier of course, though maybe different than current.

~Bonus Ideas~ These are more or less just some relevant idea's for new aspects of engines that may or may not be plausible.

-Add in specialized engines with slightly lower speed multipliers, average thrust/turn and an inbuilt called something like "Prototype Reverse Thruster" for example, which ideally would be a toggleable (like a self Aura?) that overrides S for braking to instead makes it reverse (a good engine likely, for seer's, Engi's and possibly the odd SD, just for the added maneuverability).
-Add in Low thrusting vis Energy Engines that tend to have lower than average stats, low size(generally speaking), varying speed mult, but cost elec while thrusting. I believe i had this idea already before, but i figure i'd revive it here.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:37 am
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: Freakachu
Level: 4759

Post Re: An idea to make engines..a little more specialized
i like this

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

/signed.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

/signed

Right now the only decent engine for close range dogfighting is dime motion; nothing else turns quickly without boatloads of gyro mods. The speed thing is covered by some shields, but these are travel only, with little in the way of actual protection.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

I'm not sure why you have such a hard on for the Dime Motion.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Pontius123 wrote:

I'm more of a bule ruin engine guy myself...

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:50 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Pontius123 wrote:

I literally just said why...

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Moonlightneo wrote:
-Rework engines to, (if they don't already) have varying statistical advantages and disadvantages (high thrust, low turning, moderate all rounder, etc)*

Engines already work this way. I always thought it was a rather prominent trade off, but if you're asking this perhaps it's not as clear as I thought (or maybe you see these things when you're looking at a spreadsheet of them).

Quote:
-Add in specialized engines with slightly lower speed multipliers, average thrust/turn and an inbuilt called something like "Prototype Reverse Thruster" for example, which ideally would be a toggleable (like a self Aura?) that overrides S for braking to instead makes it reverse (a good engine likely, for seer's, Engi's and possibly the odd SD, just for the added maneuverability).

This sounds like it could be... Amusing.

Support

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Engines already work this way. I always thought it was a rather prominent trade off, but if you're asking this perhaps it's not as clear as I thought (or maybe you see these things when you're looking at a spreadsheet of them).

In my opinion, it does seem like it works that way yes, but it could use a little more variation, especially higher in the techs, once i hit T21 and got a Coronae the first obstacle i faced was "oh crap, i need an engine" and my options for a capship user specifically, were extremely limited, especially because i'm not exactly a well funded player.
Blue Dwarf wrote:
This sounds like it could be... Amusing.

Glad it caught attention. The main reason i suggested it though is as influence from an old game called Subspace Continuum- One of the first online multiplayer games in existence- and the fact that me and my buddy played it quite a bit on the "zone" (servers basically, each one managed by a different person, different rules, stats, etc) called Hyperspace, where unlike the rest of the game it was much more of an RPG Shooter, one of the main basics of the game is you had no brakes, just forward and backward thrust, then turning.
I keep trying to get him to play this game but the lack of a reverse thrust keeps throwing him off, and he goes off and plays Subspace just for nostalgia's sake lol.
I know SS likely will not ever implement reverse thrusting as a basic mechanic, but a unique engine may be much more plausible, AND more interesting, no?

Either way, i included it as a bonus idea mostly as i don't expect much out of asking for it, i'm fine with the mechanics as they are.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:42 pm