Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Make General Sub Skills independant skills.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61757

This has previously been suggested in part, i would like to suggest it again. The six general class sub skills are so below par that there is really little to no reason anyone would take them over the class specific sub skills. Bot PHD is about the only one that is worth it, all the rest could be removed with little effect.

Make these their own category of skill, similar to Bar skills or Sen Skills. Since they are pretty wonky, i would recommend working them into lunacy somehow, but any solution is fine to me.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:09 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

Post Re: Make General Sub Skills independant skills.
Centered is damn good, but honestly Out of Combat Regen is normally part of the game and not a skill when it comes to MMOs.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Tbh it should just be something like 1% shields regen per second in stasis OR your flat amount from your shield if it would regen faster. Whichever is greater.

This means bank shields would take a minute and forty seconds (in my example number) maximum to regen to cap in stasis, whereas a regen focus where they'd regen faster than that would still be able to utilize it.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:14 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Several general advanced sub skills are insanely strong. I strongly disagree with OP.

I still think centered and shake it off type of mechanics should be added to all characters by default. Flat +50 shield regen when docked was a step towards good direction.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Antilzah wrote:
Several general advanced sub skills are insanely strong. I strongly disagree with OP.

I still think centered and shake it off type of mechanics should be added to all characters by default. Flat +50 shield regen when docked was a step towards good direction.

We've talked about this before... Jeff disagreed although tbh I forgot the arguments he made at the time.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

DarkSteel wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

We've talked about this before... Jeff disagreed although tbh I forgot the arguments he made at the time.

A little birdie told me that his argument was that it would make choosing centered/shake it off less viable. Which is a shit argument, because it means that 2 of the general adv subskills are literally just filler bullshit that should instead be default regen mechanics. Welcome to SS where we hide necessary mechanics behind unnecessary layers of bullshit.

#ReasonsToPlayWoWInstead

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:04 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

A little birdie most certainly did not communicate that to you properly, that wasn't the reasoning behind it at all. It's an ongoing process, if we can address the issues raised we might be able to get it implemented.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Antilzah wrote:

Shake it Off: +500 shield charge and +500 energy charge while in stasis
Centered: +500 shield charge and +500 energy charge (Effect is canceled on firing or taking damage, requires 15 seconds to reapply)
Strategic Deployment: +50 speed (Effect is canceled on firing or taking damage, requires 30 seconds to re-apply. Also affects bots)
Resilient: 100% chance on damage to gain +50% resistance (90% for bots) for 1 second, effect can occur at most once every 30 seconds
Bot Ph.D.: +4 combat bot slots
Droney: +1 temporary drone deployment slot

Not seeing it. Could you please name them and why they are strong? The only one i would even consider is BOt PHD which i have already said might be better as an independent skill with obscene skill requirements. There is simply no reason a seer or a sniper would ever choose that over their class adv sub skills. Something like ten of every Ada Module in the game would make Bot PHD prohibitively difficult.

Other then that...what? Droney is nice, but Computer engineer is better. Resilient...one second resist increase every 30 seconds...I main a zerker, don't make me spit coffee laughing that hard. Strategic Deployment is a travel skill. Centered and Shake it off are basic regen mechanics that are standard in a dozen other mmo's (which usually have you sit down). What is OP there? Besides bot PHD.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

IMO both Shake it Off and Strategic deployment should be regular game mechanics, not skills, the rest are fine though i question why i'd every choose resilient over Droney or Bot Ph.D

Like i said before, shake it off should be a basic mechanic of a 1%ish Shield Regen/s or your flat regen, whichever is faster.

Strategic Deployment should be a reg game mechanic simply because nobody likes moving at the pace of a fucking snail while not even in combat.

Edit: actually to elaborate on my last point. Strategic Deployment should take the speed of a ship and- for example -increase it by a flat AND a % Based on how far it is from..i'd say half the speed cap.

Speed cap, if im not mistaken, is 700 which makes half 350.

Just for the sake of an example, lets say, 1 flat + 1% per 5 speed below 350... so about 0.2% per 1 below 350.
Which gives a theoretical max of 70 + 70% speed, if you have 0 speed initially.

So lets say your ship goes... 50 Speed. 350 - 50 / 5 = 60
50 + 60 + 60% = Either 176 or 140 depending on whether you apply the 60% AFTER or BEFORE the flat increase respectively.

Now lets say a ship goes, 300 speed. 350 - 300 / 5 = 10
300 + 10 + 10% = 341 or 340 Depending on whether you apply the % AFTER, or BEFORE.

The Speed gain difference between the examples is 126(or 90) VS 41 (or 40), Actual difference being 85 (or 50), which makes it clear that those on the lower end of the speed charts get a pretty sizeable benefit over those that already have speeds above average.

These numbers are literally just pulled from my ass, but the point i'm trying to make is there, if you think of them, there are much better ways to implement this kind of "skill" without having it require SP, and while benefiting everyone in a situation where it would help them, helping those that need it most, much more than it helps those that don't really need it at all.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm