Main: Buggy123
Level: 5141

Post Allow trading of space points.
Space points can be redeemed for a number of useful services that the average player would want, but might not be willing to pay real money for. They might be willing to pay credits for them, however. Other players may be willing to trade in real money for credits, and sell them to players. As such, I propose that we allow players to exchange space points for a item-equivalent, and then trade/sell them as they wish.

As I see it this will only result in increased income for the SS devs. The only source for space points is RL money, so in the worst case scenario, no one buys any with credits, and nothing changes. However I find it likely that some players would buy space points and sell them, and others would be more willing to grind for credits and then buy them with credits than with RL money. The market itself would determine the pricing and supply/demand.

This strategy has been implemented, and works quite well in a number of other games. The biggest two games I have experience with which do this are EVE Online and Warframe. EVE Online allows trading of both subscription time and premium currency/premium items, and it has been stable for over a decade and worked exactly as described with a similar player-driven market. Warframe allows trading of only premium currency (not non-premium currency) and most valuable items, and has a stable market. A number of other games I'm not intimately familiar with also do this - Guild Wars 2, Entropy Online, TERA (used to), WildStar... I could go on.

Finally, I'd suggest this because having these high-value items floating around could open up interesting PvP possibilities, such as attacking a team's galaxy because they have a lot of space points stored there, etc. EVE Online does exactly this and it helps drive entire categories of PvP, and while the effect would be more limited in SS due to different game mechanics, it could still prove to be a interesting addition.

Also, this is a bit more controversial, but I'd suggest allowing players to convert subscriptions into a item and buy/sell them as well, a-la PLEX from EVE Online. I suggest this for the same reasons as above, and because everyone already trades subscriptions for credits and the devs have largely capitulated and allowed it, so at this point we might as well just officialize it at this point. And surely, this happens with space points as well, although I have not personally seen anyone do it.

I mean come on, there is a post in the trading section of the un-official SS discord (which the devs have open access to), where a player posted a extensive price listing for buying and selling subscriptions without a alias. Just make it official at this point.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Post Re: Allow trading of space points.
the reason this isn't done yet could be because of laws and licensing or whatnot, i dont really know specifics of that crap, but regardless i agree.

+1

To add to your list, Archeage also does it, and i'd say that's a major point people miss when they call it P2W, making gold was never difficult, kind of a reason APEX is (or was at least) worth 500-600.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm
Main: Buggy123
Level: 5141

Moonlightneo wrote:
the reason this isn't done yet could be because of laws and licensing or whatnot, i dont really know specifics of that crap, but regardless i agree.

+1

To add to your list, Archeage also does it, and i'd say that's a major point people miss when they call it P2W, making gold was never difficult, kind of a reason APEX is (or was at least) worth 500-600.

I'm not sure if its a problem when it's one way, but I know for a fact that if currency can be exchanged both ways way (trade real money for ingame currency, ingame currency for real money), then you're subject to various banking laws. Entropia Universe does that, and they're one of the only ones that do that IIRC.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm

ah right, thats how it was, i think i played a game that did that but i can't remember.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:41 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

When we launch on Steam, we will be introducing an in-game item that you can pop open to redeem for Space Points. It will be freely trade-able between players in exchange for credits.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Oh HELL YES.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

anilv wrote:
When we launch on Steam, we will be introducing an in-game item that you can pop open to redeem for Space Points. It will be freely trade-able between players in exchange for credits.

Eve uses the name PLEX.

We should use the name ANILV.

This would be the perfect emp item.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

What they really need is more interesting things to buy with space points, aka more cosmetic things like cool skins.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

dreadlordnaf wrote:
What they really need is more interesting things to buy with space points, aka more cosmetic things like cool skins.

But Jeff and most of the dev team doesn't like skinned ships used "beyond their station". So that Parsley skin? Not an endgame ship. You paid 10$ for the skin.

Space Blue Beta skin? It and a T12 ship, no more.

etc etc.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

buggy123 wrote:
As I see it this will only result in increased income for the SS devs. The only source for space points is RL money, so in the worst case scenario, no one buys any with credits, and nothing changes.

Well I can tell you that this is not happening anytime soon. Believe me.

anilv wrote:

Ah, fuck.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:14 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

As Enk has said, this is coming in the very near future (I wrote the first code for this somewhere around 2 years ago so its been a long time coming). You'll be able to buy the item and then trade it in-game (userbases only, with some restrictions that make it impossible to "steal" it).

dreadlordnaf wrote:

We've got some more cosmetic types coming :)

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 am