Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Post Change proposals to RadX and Capturing
So first, the RadX change proposal.
-Remove or Rebalance the Radiation damage bonus from RadX, keeping the wild bonuses and Rename the skill if necessary to fit.
-Buff Rad weapons to put them more in line with this change and allow more than just FC's to use them effectively.

-If the rad damage is mostly/entirely removed, possibly, focus some more slave oriented stats to FC's in order to specialize them beyond being either Fighterboats or Rad-Exclusive Mobile Laser platforms.
IE: Give a high slave exclusive Projectile speed bonus so they can be more viable in projectile usage compared to other classes that commonly use slaves (ShM/Gunner) and lets face it, 30% tracking from Bot Mastery does legitimately fuck all towards this goal. Could possibly add it into bot tweaking?
Alternatively, could only add moderate proj speed bonus and seperately buff the Tracking bonus rather than just a high proj speed bonus.
Slaves, and FC's specifically as they rely on slaves the most, need more incentive to use alternatives to Lasers.
As it stands, projectiles on slaves are extremely unreliable and thus inefficient and generally unused past a point as they don't hit often enough (much less so against fast targets) to justify their viability, this ends up in endgame slaves either being Fighterboats right now, or large clunking Giga Neut/Emp-Ray spammers.

And now, the Capturing change proposal
First off, i don't know how viable a change this is so take it with a grain of salt, but the fact that currently capping is a pain in the ass, and rather uninteresting as a mechanic is nothing new, and it's nearly exclusive to FC's to boot.

-Remove reliance on Rad damage
-Rework Converters into a moderate sized High Velocity Zero Tracking projectile with a fairly long range.
-Converters now utilise a Long lasting parasite called 'Boarding Party', while this parasite is in effect, the ship will not reduce past 1 shields or alternatively goes into the same state as Rad causes currently upon a supposed killing blow. Instead, it immediately attempt to equip a Controlbot and transfers to the player, if it fails due to insufficient hull, the ship would self destruct (To save you the trouble of reading chat).
-Converters now impart a knockback to the player firing them, and to their target on impact of their Projectile. (more for the feeling of impact when firing your crew at the enemy than anything else)
-Converters now have a long recoil to make up for the long lasting Parasite, they also add a parasite to the firing-player that reduces general stats by a percentage for the same time because you're literally firing your crew at the enemy.

This minimizes problems like, friendlies accidentally killing something you wanted to cap, since you can shoot it preemptively to the same effect, and it also lets you use any damage type to the same effect. Some AI could even have countermeasures to a Boarding Party Parasite to reduce the time you have to cap them after hitting, requiring a little strategy. The lack of tracking also means you need to line up a good shot against faster foes, although after hitting you don't have to worry about hitting them again for a fair amount of time.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:34 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post Re: Change proposals to RadX and Capturing
I once had a fleeting idea of just changing the Prismatic Conversion type devices to either be some kind of item you passively equip to make AI you irradiate to become bots or actively use on irradiated AI to capture them (like a ship scanner).

I don't really have much opinion on the Radiation Expert changes, as it's contenty-balance stuff.

Support

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:44 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Blue Dwarf wrote:
I once had a fleeting idea of just changing the Prismatic Conversion type devices to either be some kind of item you passively equip to make AI you irradiate to become bots or actively use on irradiated AI to capture them (like a ship scanner).

I don't really have much opinion on the Radiation Expert changes, as it's contenty-balance stuff.

The ship-scanner idea sounds pretty nice.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

The Emperor's Ray
vs
Dark Diablo's Trident.

Emp ray is rad, DDT is surgical. They're both roughly the same DPS, Damage, and Recoil. However, when you plug them into a slave, the Emp Ray has almost *double* the damage output of the DDT. Combine this with very low radiation resists in general and basically all I need to carry on my FC slaves is a radiation weapon and maybe some flavor backup weapon in case I run into something with a ton of resists to radiation (such as Qukuji'qii, with their 75% to radiation, or Green Battleships, with something like 85%).

->Radiation damage is so high that it is mandatory to have Radiation damage. On contrary, despite Physical damage bonus for Sniper class, it is NOT mandatory for every sniper to have a physical weapon 100% of the time.

->The high Radiation damage crowds out all other damage types except for niche moments with stupid high resist AI.

->Wild slaves with radiation weapons can be pretty extreme.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I don't like Radiation Expert either, because the bonus is so obviously there to make it easier to cap... but it ends up being very lacklustre and pigeonholing FCs into using the highest DPS radiation weapon they can find if they want to do good damage (Even on bots). I'd be very much in favor of a removal of Radiation Expert and a rework of capping mechanics. I like the concept of radiation damage as a damage type though.

If FC's got a nerf to Radiation damage and that skill was reworked, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 am
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

That's pretty much what i was going for, i don't mind if FC's get a small Rad BONUS, and i don't mind Radiation as a damage type, but it shouldn't feel almost mandatory to have.

Also, the rework i suggested to capping is by no means my concrete opinion of what MUST be done, i simply provided a possible method that seemed simple enough, if there's a better idea in the works or someone has something they want to share here please do.

The opinion on FC's not being specialized enough could just be me complaining out my ass, honestly, BUT one point i feel is and probably will be valid for a long while; Projectiles in general on AI- Specifically slaves and NOT fighters, or drones- become increasingly unreliable and unless i'm mistaken, people start to ignore them more and more in higher tech slaves and instead opt for the much more reliable set & forget laser weapons of whichever desired damage type.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:09 pm
Contributor

Projectiles tend to be ignored because AI are stupid and don't know how to use them to their maximum capability. If there was a way to make bots directly controlled by players I'm sure you'd see them used more often...

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Holding target with decent tractor ship is one way to boost effectivity of projectile weapons.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:24 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

MasterTrader wrote:
I don't like Radiation Expert either, because the bonus is so obviously there to make it easier to cap... but it ends up being very lacklustre and pigeonholing FCs into using the highest DPS radiation weapon they can find if they want to do good damage (Even on bots). I'd be very much in favor of a removal of Radiation Expert and a rework of capping mechanics. I like the concept of radiation damage as a damage type though.

If FC's got a nerf to Radiation damage and that skill was reworked, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Hold the fudge up.... you just said, "pigeonholing FCs into using the highest DPS radiation weapon they can find if they want to do good damage..." which FC bots don't ever do "good damage" regardless of the weapon, they just do less shitty damage. Regardless, you acknowledge that FC leans heavily on that bonus to have a hope of getting anywhere close to decent DPS... Then you say you want to see their only viable source of weapon DPS nerfed? Please tell me you're talking about swapping that with some other comparable weapon DPS buff (especially with the massive shit just taken on weapon slaves by fighters and the MF bot nerf)... because wow... I just can't make this make sense in any world...

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

But I mean... I don't play, so you can also just ignore me. I'm just here for moral support.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm

What would probably happen if it happens is removal of massive Radiation Damage bonus on Radiation Expert, replaced by a 20% bonus to Radiation Damage and a 70% Slave Damage bonus. You'd get more or less the same Radiation Damage, but you won't be pigeonholed into using *only* Radiation Damage, as it stands right now.

The capture mechanic needs to be overhauled because the second reason I only carry Radiation Damage is because that happens to be the damage type used to capture wild slaves. If I had Heat/Surgical/Mining damage, I might actually *kill* the AI before I could capture it.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:47 pm
Contributor

ShawnMcCall wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

Hold the fudge up.... you just said, "pigeonholing FCs into using the highest DPS radiation weapon they can find if they want to do good damage..." which FC bots don't ever do "good damage" regardless of the weapon, they just do less shitty damage. Regardless, you acknowledge that FC leans heavily on that bonus to have a hope of getting anywhere close to decent DPS... Then you say you want to see their only viable source of weapon DPS nerfed? Please tell me you're talking about swapping that with some other comparable weapon DPS buff (especially with the massive shit just taken on weapon slaves by fighters and the MF bot nerf)... because wow... I just can't make this make sense in any world...

I love how you took the worst possible interpretation of what I said... I admit "and that skill was reworked" is a bit vague, but if I'm talking about FC's being pigeonholed into one damage type because all the other damage types suck in comparison why would I propose just straight up removing damage?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Because Shawn is a fucktard reading off his phone while drinking coffee at his local Starbucks.

That's how he does it with every other topic and especially ones where the dev team says *anything*.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Max235 wrote:
Because Shawn is a fucktard reading off his phone while drinking coffee at his local Starbucks.

That's how he does it with every other topic and especially ones where the dev team says *anything*.

Actually, if you read, you would see that the post is posed as a question... and it was read off of my computer at home... learn to read, yeah?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

No, because you drink Satan's Drink, aka Starbucks.

Real men stay sober.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:56 pm