Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

Post Write better combat/death shouts for enemies
So, this is probably low on the current list of priorities, but it's something that's been in its current state for half a decade or more now. Certain enemies in the game have combat dialogue of a sorts that shows up in the local galaxy chat. This is all fine and good, but most of the dialogue and lines are painfully cringy.

A good example would be the death shouts bosses in random DGs can give off. In a game where over the past few years slaves were renamed to bots and crack whores renamed to """entertainers""" in preperation for the Steam release, having DG bosses who shout "Well twist my nipples and call me Sally!" when they die seems like a bit of an oversight.

Again, I know this seems like a small thing, and it is, but those lines of dialogue can add a lot of character to an enemy and mean the difference between players seeing them as a mobile loot box, or as something more interesting. A good example being Timotheus (well, some of his dialogue at least, some of his lines are a bit worse than others).

Heck, if it's possible for a sort of script of the current in game shouts and what situations/for who they play to be provided and posted somewhere, I and probably other people would be more than happy to take a look and work on it.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:15 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Write better combat/death shouts for enemies
If you would be willing to just start rewriting dialogue that you don't like, I would be happy put my weight behind it. Unfortunately, not every dev who's ever worked for SS has been a gifted linguist…

Just link me a Google doc with your proposals, indicating clearly which lines from which bosses they are intended to replace.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:19 pm

I don't have any particular examples off the top of my head aside from well, every single DG death shout I've seen. I'm basing the "and others" bit off memories from a while back of certain bosses. They may have been fixed, but given that a lot of mission dialogue is still in a bad state I doubt it.

Is it not possible for a text file or just info dump of current in game shouts to be done? I understand if it isn't, but it would make things much, much easier. I don't remember every shout, which boss did it, and in what situation. Having to go through and kill enemies manually just to know what lines they have would be exhausting.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Actually, while we're on the general subject of writing, what would you guys think of me doing a sort of Dark Souls-esque item description for the basic series of ships (what are they, who made them, do they have any quirks and so on) in most AI bases? It's an idea I've had for years now but never got around to doing. Flavor text and fluff is something SS needs more love in!

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Can you work up an example of what you have in mind?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Code:
            <ONENGAGE>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] You dare challenge me? I am the master of this Dungeon!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] How'd you make it past my guards?!!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] There's only one way to win a campaign, shout, shout and shout again!</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONENGAGE>
            <ONPLAYERKILL>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] LIKE A BOSS</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Like a pro</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Oops, did I do that?</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Pop goes the weasel</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONPLAYERKILL>
            <ONDEATH>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Can a boss relax for once?!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Well bugger me with a fish fork</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Well twist my nipples and call me Rita</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Always look on the bright side of life!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] My colonies! All that lost money!</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONDEATH>

Are the DG shouts.
Some of them are quotes from British sitcoms (mainly Red Dwarf and Blackadder), the rest are just vague statements I made up.
"Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!" is specifically from Red Dwarf, as well as "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
"Well twist my nipples and call me Rita" I think is Blackadder. "Well bugger me with a fish fork" and "The only way to win a campaign is to shout, shout and shout again!" are both definitely Blackadder. Of course, "Always look on the bright side of life!" is from Monty Python.

I'd be happy to add more, and perhaps remove some. Currently nearly all DG bosses can get shouts which when actually playing I've sometimes felt is a bit weird and should perhaps just be removed.

Support

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Code:
            <ONENGAGE>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] You dare challenge me? I am the master of this Dungeon!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] How'd you make it past my guards?!!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] There's only one way to win a campaign, shout, shout and shout again!</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONENGAGE>
            <ONPLAYERKILL>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] LIKE A BOSS</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Like a pro</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Oops, did I do that?</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Pop goes the weasel</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONPLAYERKILL>
            <ONDEATH>
               <PICKSHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Can a boss relax for once?!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Well bugger me with a fish fork</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Well twist my nipples and call me Rita</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] Always look on the bright side of life!</SHOUT>
                  <SHOUT>[%name] My colonies! All that lost money!</SHOUT>
               </PICKSHOUT>
            </ONDEATH>

Are the DG shouts.
Some of them are quotes from British sitcoms (mainly Red Dwarf and Blackadder), the rest are just vague statements I made up.
"Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!" is specifically from Red Dwarf, as well as "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
"Well twist my nipples and call me Rita" I think is Blackadder. "Well bugger me with a fish fork" and "The only way to win a campaign is to shout, shout and shout again!" are both definitely Blackadder. Of course, "Always look on the bright side of life!" is from Monty Python.

I'd be happy to add more, and perhaps remove some. Currently nearly all DG bosses can get shouts which when actually playing I've sometimes felt is a bit weird and should perhaps just be removed.

Always look on the bright side of life made me happy.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Always look on the bright side of life made me happy.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 pm