Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

Post Expand the Ship Tech Upgrade system through T22
What the title says. Currently in game there is a way to upgrade lower tech ships up through T19, this gives them a set number of augmenter slots depending on the class (ie, Light Fighters get 4 and only 4) and raises their tech level. Resistances and such aren't scaled up.

Currently, there's a huge number of ships below T19 that don't get touched, just because they're low tech stuff and can't fit decent augmenters. These are some of the most unique ships in the game, some of them have neat inbuilts and super items too. Why not add in upgrades up to T22 to allow them to see use?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Expand the Ship Tech Upgrade system through T22
Septagon wrote:
What the title says. Currently in game there is a way to upgrade lower tech ships up through T19, this gives them a set number of augmenter slots depending on the class (ie, Light Fighters get 4 and only 4) and raises their tech level. Resistances and such aren't scaled up.

Currently, there's a huge number of ships below T19 that don't get touched, just because they're low tech stuff and can't fit decent augmenters. These are some of the most unique ships in the game, some of them have neat inbuilts and super items too. Why not add in upgrades up to T22 to allow them to see use?

That was the original plan. However quite a few problems were brought up with it, because it's generally a bad idea.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

It throws away the sandbox nature of the game when only 10% of all ships get used. It also says "Lazy Developers!" because in the ideal world most ships would have a series of upgrade *items*, not tech upgrades, which give it other bonuses/stats rather than a straight tech boost, and potentially ruining some ships like Hotrod, Battle Sphere, and Blue Gamma (when you realize it'd still have 2 augs).

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

I'd love to expand this system up through T22, however there are some balance concerns with certain ships if they were to gain access to T20 and up augs (which are significantly more powerful than lower tech augs). Until those concerns can be address in a satisfactory way (which would hopefully not include nerfing several fun and unique ships into the ground), the T20/T21/T22 are on indefinite hold.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:22 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

1. Some ships would be overpowered as hell. Unt Faranji Wingship, with PU22, would have something like 1200 hull (which is great as a SD), but the Faranji Pulse Charger *TRIPLES* your damage output. Now give it T22 augs.

2. Most ships would not get used as the bulk of the players look for efficiency, rather than looks.

3. Some ships would end up being nerfed by ship tech upgrade usage, and thus never be upgraded. Battle Sphere, PBF, Hotrod, Blue Gamma, Eyezers. The BS is dropped to 2 augs, the PBF 2 augs, Hotrod to 4 augs, Blue Gamma stays 2 augs, and Eyezers stay 3 augs.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:55 pm