Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

Post Remove Base Capping: It hurts newer players/teams the most
Base capping has always been retarded to me. And it does not bode well for the casual steam players either.

For example:

Cap & Demo 1 ada base owned by someone on Traders -> Traders loses nothing significant because they have both hundreds or more in storage, and are an endgame team with ample resources to replenish their lost base

Cap & Demo 1 ada base owned by person or team that consists of new players (you know, maybe players from the steam release) -> Player/team loses what is, to them, the culmination of all the hours they've put into base-building so far.

Now I have a job, and school, and I don't have a lot of time for SS, maybe an hour a day. But I pay the same subscription rate for the game as everyone else regardless of how frequently I play, so I don't think I should be penalized for having less play-time to dedicate to pumping out ada kits than a player who has to work fewer hours at their job and has no wife or kids or friends or family to talk to so they spend 12 hours a day on the game.

I don't leave valuable items hanging around on my bases, but with having ADD it takes me a lot of time to set the bases, and when I don't have a lot of time to spend in the first place, it punishes me to have my bases capped & demoed far more than it does someone on a top 3 team.

Base capping would be fine if, say, I paid $10 for 240 hours of playtime, instead of the ability to log in for 30 days.

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Post Re: Remove Base Capping: It hurts newer players/teams the mo
It takes a lot of effort to cap an ada kit. It doesn't take as much effort to cap a lower end kit, but you have ample warning against such cap, provided the attacker doesn't have the ability to straight up pvb your galaxy.

But I digress. Aren't you on your own team by yourself?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:34 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

We have been doing our best to make the base setup process as streamlined as possible so that you don't have as great a cost incurred if the base is lost.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Max235 wrote:
It takes a lot of effort to cap an ada kit. It doesn't take as much effort to cap a lower end kit, but you have ample warning against such cap, provided the attacker doesn't have the ability to straight up pvb your galaxy.

But I digress. Aren't you on your own team by yourself?

Ada kits don't come from AI bases, you have to build them. So how do you build them? You have to start with lower end kits and work your way up. In that situation, you can always get PvBed.

And I don't know if you know this or not, but if you don't have top tier kits, you're very open to getting PvBed, and since the vast majority of current players in SS are all endgame, the vast majority of any potential attackers I can guarantee all have the ability to straight up PvB.

I am on a team by myself, but I got attacked by people I've never had a quarrel with and I've never said much to, and I had half of my bases capped & demoed.

For the 8th time I've had my shit get capped & demoed. I lost some extensors and maybe a meager 2-5bil in commods and AI base factories/extractors. But what I really lost was large amounts of my time and effectively the subscription $ that I paid to play the game for the past month.

And that's really frustrating. I literally can't play SS for more than an hour or two a day. I don't have the lifestyle to dedicate more than casual playtime. I've been trying, for the past 6-7 years, to build up some ada kits and gear, and accompanying base augmenters. But for me, it's always been an insanely expensive investment, and every time I'm in progress of gathering and making the kits, gear, and augmenters, my shit gets blown up and I'm back to step 1.

I think it is bullshit that some random bullies have the ability to basically prohibit new or casual players from advancing in the game base-wise. I can't join a team because everyone's getting into big wars and I don't have the gear to adequately defend, and I guess I can't even be on a team myself because there are bullies who go out of there way to cap & demo a noob's worthless junk, and ruin their hours of hard work and waste the money they paid to play the game.

I wanted to play the game and be left alone, and you can blow my shit up but having the ability to totally erase hours of work is absolute bullshit because it hurts new and casual players the most, a group that I can guarantee steam consists the most of.

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:51 pm

My mandate is 5 ada kits per gal, but that is me as an endgame player. Anything less and I say 10 kits of lesser quality, such as Dem kits. However I'm cheap and if I'm NOT doing ada kits, I'm doing Laconia kits. I'm also lazy enough to buy Laconia Sheets off the market rather than produce my own. I can easily produce Titanium Sheets, though iirc the market is cheaper due to 27% build discounts on 1k item builds.

It doesn't have to be T20 kits, which is the beauty for teams who just want to fend off PVB. You just need to put down dps to murder the squad on the warp. If you can't insta-gib the squad, then survive long enough to grind them down or be undentable. I prefer the first choice with all that dps.

10 Laconia T20 kits are:

->200 Laconia Sheets, bought off market for 2.4b credits.
->200 Titanium Sheets, bought off market for 400m credits (wow no one is keeping them in stock), or built with 200m credits, 2m metals, 20k microchips (40k silicon), and 100k nuclear waste.
->5.7b credits for the 10 Normal, 10 Fortified, and 10 Laconia Kits individually.
->22m metals for the actual kit builds

Basically costs 10 billion credits. This is two characters worth of kits, though. Ada kits are much more expensive, but it's only 1 character worth.

My standard is at least 4 characters worth of *drones* in the galaxy, backed up by 5-10 defense kits. I also use augged and geared T16 EXE kits to provide additional cover from their magcannons and shield transferences.

My standards are based on a 1 account galaxy, though if you have two accounts, the Laconia kit setup can make your galaxy cheap and effective.

----

However, the biggest crisis I would have in your shoes is being on a team BY YOURSELF. If you think this batch of "pirates" are too much now, wait till Steam arrives. We're going to have lots of little attackers everywhere, and if you're all by yourself in a semi-valuable galaxy, expect it to be attacked and destroyed sooner or later by anything from little Shrimp and Porpoises all the way up to Nikola and Wrathful players.

Singles have shown that a small team if they put their minds to it can bvb despite being relatively low level and having low end bases. 10 people will look at 1 person in a semi-valuable galaxy and think "This can be OUR galaxy, not yours."

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm
over 9000!

What the most recent time you were PvBed and had your stuff rad demoed? And what kind of defensive configuration were you using?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:22 pm

anilv wrote:
What the most recent time you were PvBed and had your stuff rad demoed? And what kind of defensive configuration were you using?

earlier today. I had a couple t20 kits with armada and achilles augs, and a dozen annihilator drones. It would have been enough to hold off newer players or teams, but I cant really defend against a squad of t22 players. I have been attempting for awhile to build something better, but every time i get somewhere i get knocked back down. i would love to have enough ada kits where i would have to be bvbed but i dont seem to be allowed to get there. I cant even build t20 base gear in the EF layer. i've not had any ability to progress.

the galaxy wasnt killed to steal, it was killed just to be killed.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 pm
over 9000!

I think you are approaching this the wrong way. If you were to lay ten Lac T20s with regular Achilles augmenters and deployed the same complement of Anni drones, you would probably be immune from PvB and it would cost you much less, even if you somehow lost the gal.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:01 pm

anilv wrote:
I think you are approaching this the wrong way. If you were to lay ten Lac T20s with regular Achilles augmenters and deployed the same complement of Anni drones, you would probably be immune from PvB and it would cost you much less, even if you somehow lost the gal.

Yeah I know. Let me go build some lac t20 kits and base gear for them.... oh wait

I've been trying.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm
over 9000!

You don't need to build base gear for them. My estimate for the strength of the gal assumes X gear. As far as the augmenters go, they are instant builds. You can stockpile Promethium without a base and the raw materials they require are negligible. You could have all necessary base augs built in about 10 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:54 pm

->10 Normal/Fortified/Laconia kits (2-3 HPS, 1 SL of some sort, rest DPS)
->Backed by 4 characters worth of Platforms/Defenders (they don't have to be anni, you can build the Andaman ones from a T16 kit)
->Higher tech EXE/CA kits can fill in for additional dps/hps as needed. One non-STM kit is as good as 0.5 STM kit of the same tech level (so 2 T16 EXEs are equal to 1 STM T16)

(would be nice if there was a way to upgrade the kit itself, rather than just tech level, so you can start with a Normal kit, but through upgrades and NOT having to demo it...you can have an ada kit.)

If there was a market, I'd sell Laconia T16/T18/T20's.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 pm

This is nice and all, but do you expect new players building in WS to know that prior to getting capped & demoed?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 am
over 9000!

cej1120con wrote:
This is nice and all, but do you expect new players building in WS to know that prior to getting capped & demoed?

No, but I expect new players building in Wild Space to use what they have, i.e. cheap kits and gear. I don't expect them to become inexplicably fixated on the idea of using ada kits and SoLs when they have likely never even heard of these things.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 am

anilv wrote:
I don't expect them to become inexplicably fixated on the idea of using ada kits and SoLs when they have likely never even heard of these things.

No, but having their entire galaxy capped & demoed such that they have all their time and work totally erased by someone bigger than them doesn't sound fair

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

First I lol'd.

Then I realised real players with real kits are uncappable because of ada dampeners. So this makes perfect sense. Base capping as a feature is already kinda removed for stm kits.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 am