Team: Insectoids
Main: PreyingMantis
Level: 813

Post Smaller Client Download
It really would be nice if we could download a much smaller client, particularly a Coloured-Polygon 3D-Graphics based client, with plain filled colour GUI, that way the download package wouldnt need to be FULL of hundreds of meg of huge-texture images and we'd only be downloading all the scipting that makes up the game!!!!

Seriously, im sick of downloading 750 meg of mega huge textures that I dont use after I choose "DDS" and "LowQuality", every time I quit and decided to come back.

Just a Coloured-Polygon 3D would be a farily small package, and would suit any players needs enough, especially if he has an old clunker (!), and should come down to what, about 150mb at most?!

Give it a thought will you please?

There could be a few options there maybe:-
* Mega Small Colourfull Polygon plain GUI Package
* Low-Res Low-Quality Only (DDS Textures included only!)!

Thanks.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Smaller Client Download
Nowadays, most games expect you to download 10+ GB to play. This seems very small by comparison.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:41 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I downloaded World of Warships again. 10g download, 5g update.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Buddy, the only game you can reasonably expect to be under a gig these days is Pong. Welcome to the 21st century, get something that isn't a toaster if you want to play video games.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 am
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

I have games sizing up to 70 Gigs on my hard-drive, if you cant handle a measly couple, find a way to go back in time so your computer is freakin relevant.

The games in specific in case anyone is wondering...

ARK: Survival Evolved

Black Desert Online (or BDO for short)

TERA (though i might delete this, since i haven't and don't really plan on playing it anymore)

And just to mention, way back when i started Maplestory, that game took i think, maybe one and a half gigs, tops, sadly i don't have it installed right now, but i'm pretty sure it now sits above 10 from all the updates it's received.

TL;DR - If you cant handle file sizes from a game as tiny as SS, your rig is ancient, upgrade or gtfo.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:00 am
Main: Almighty Pixel
Level: 4

We have employed compressing textures down from 32bit to 16bit png's and that did compress it from 1.4GB to 600MB~. Could perform the task again on the newer textures to squeeze more compression in.

I do agree some more methods could be employed such as converting all the sound file formats to .ogg format.

Current reading from a Windows machine (Size on Disk):

decls 48KB
game_data 312KB
Models 103MB
shaders 160KB
sound 142MB
Textures 301MB
UI 23.7MB
Star Sonata.exe 6.14MB
patchbot.exe 628KB

When cache (dds) is generated it totals to 918MB on top (use ultra settings on client)

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

maybe me but when i see a game is only like 120meg download I automatically assume its shit or some sort of flash game for lunch break.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Moonlightneo wrote:
I have games sizing up to 70 Gigs on my hard-drive, if you cant handle a measly couple, find a way to go back in time so your computer is freakin relevant.

TERA (though i might delete this, since i haven't and don't really plan on playing it anymore)

And just to mention, way back when i started Maplestory, that game took i think, maybe one and a half gigs, tops, sadly i don't have it installed right now, but i'm pretty sure it now sits above 10 from all the updates it's received.

TL;DR - If you cant handle file sizes from a game as tiny as SS, your rig is ancient, upgrade or gtfo.

On my Xbox One, Halo 5: Guardians reaches about 95 to 100 gigs, about half from updates I think. I think SS is pretty fine right now in terms of client size, though some compression never hurts (which as Pixel pointed out, he has already compressed a lot of stuff).

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:57 am
Main: Gwennifer
Level: 1349

Moonlightneo wrote:

Maplestory is 9.2gb now, yes. From what I can tell, it's a lot of uncompressed audio and simply higher quality sprites.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:03 am

I figured as much, my point was that when it started off the game was tiny in size, compared to most other games you could play at the time, which were at least several times larger.

Nowadays i expect a game to be 15-25 gigs on AVERAGE.

And i've noticed ones that are larger than that are usually higher quality (the kind of quality my current crappy GPU stops my PC from running at) or just larger in overall content, meanwhile SS sits at- according to the steam beta client at least- Just over 1.5 gigs.

That means to me, that SS's size in general is about the same as Maplestory like, TEN WHOLE YEARS AGO.

The growth of Technological advancement is fast over the years, gigabytes are now pretty minuscule in terms of Hard drive space, getting your hands on a 1 terabyte hard drive is about as easy as going to the nearest tech store and buying one for like $100 or searching online, that's cheap enough that it should be pretty easy to get alongside what is nowadays considered "Average" for computer parts like CPU's and GPU's- likely worth more than that terabyte of space.

In regards to download speeds, if you can't patch SS- arguably one of the smallest still running MMO's to date- in a reasonable few minutes, you've probably got internet that's ancient also.

To just make an example, because of my circumstances, i'm tethered to wifi through my phone, and my speeds aren't extraordinary, but they're around what i'd say is average these days.
Imo, if you sit below 1/4th this download speed, you should look into getting better net, cus at those speeds you're gonna spend quite awhile waiting for downloads/updates. Streaming content aught to suck balls too.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:13 pm
Team: Interstellar
Main: tr1p1ea
Level: 3130

Sorry but 'it's modern day' is a bs excuse for being lazy talent-less devs that have turned a game that should weigh in at a considerably smaller size - stupidly large.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Star Sonata is stupidly large?

What do you call every other game then?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:26 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

tr1p1ea wrote:
Sorry but 'it's modern day' is a bs excuse for being lazy talent-less devs that have turned a game that should weigh in at a considerably smaller size - stupidly large.

happy to look over your github repository?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
tr1p1ea wrote:

Or, and here's an idea;

Maybe, just maybe, 3D textures and models take up more space than sprites.

Nevermind the massive increase in content since C1 was last updated (Olympus). That would have increased C1's size too.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Personally i found the change from 2d to 3d in SS completely arbitrary, and kind of ruining the arcade-ish feel it had when i first played back when i was just a wee f2p with the lv20 cap.

tr1p1ea wrote:

Glad to see another moron that can't read all of the points regarding how SMALL that SS truly is compared to everything else, move along folks, nothing to see here, just an ancient toaster using crybaby

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:53 pm