Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post WS AI EMpires suggestion
First Enk, i know you asked that i not do a wall of text, but i was specifically asked to on discord, as per image here
https://i.imgur.com/TANBmfC.png

I decided to do some scouting through wild space as interest was shown in getting a t20 missile factory. Frankly, i am ashamed of what i saw. I would be embarrassed to build galaxies like this on earthforce layer. I am flying through system after system with 2-4 defense kits and....nothing. 10, 12 20 planets with not one extractor between them.

Now i fully understand why taking every available system when the only way to attack is BvB is a reasonable strategy from a player perspective. It means your galaxies are permanently safe. What it also means is that no one can contest territory mid uni if they want to get in, and if we actually got a whole team of people joining at once they would promptly leave when they took one look at this.

I have two proposals i have thought of.

1 ~ Have AI empires or Termites deliberately target underutilized systems to discourage sprawl. That is, either AI empires or Termites would specifically target systems that had very few bases, or preferably very few planetary base slots occupied. So if a team put 4 defense kits in a system with 12 planets, but did not actually set up extractors, that system would suddenly be swarming with enemies. Conversely, i you have a small team in a 6 planet galaxy, who has all 6 covered in bases, they will be left alone.

2 ~ Allow teams to place Drones in a system regardless of ownership or the number already there, up to the team limit. Effectively make DvB an option, so you can attack a weakly defended system with drones. This would require either massively ramping up Andaman drones, or introducing Achillies drones, or allowing t20 drones to be built on earthforce layer.

3 ~ Make PvB a thing again. I know, I know, i was the loudest critic of 13, i will not pretend otherwise. And i do not like free range PvP either, HOWEVER, this sprawl is going to cripple any hope of getting full teams to join. And yes, i know, i am worried about berserk rage teams as well. BUT that is not most teams, and we want most teams to join. This is the worst of the options, but it is the simplest.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: WS AI EMpires suggestion
I actually like the 2nd proposal.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: WS AI EMpires suggestion
Just reposting my direct message responses here so everyone can review.

1) We are already planning to make AI empires put pressure on weak points like underutilized buffer gals. We just want to roll them out without that code for the first uni to make sure the baseline mechanics work correctly.

2) It's not a bad idea to look into DvB, but that idea has too many dependencies that we aren't ready to touch at this time.

3) It's not on the table to make PvB viable again, but I think once we do #1 and maybe rework the shape and texture of WS, you won't feel this is necessary.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:34 pm