Team: Traders League
Main: Trenton
Level: 1615

Post StarSonata2 Lite
StarSonata2 "Lite" - Download

I remember the days when SS (1) used to be about 150-180mb (2D) Client. The size of SS (2) Today is around 1gb, as we all know. I do believe it (2) could shrink significantly!

So how about a "Lite" version of SS-2 Download?! Use 22khz 8bit Audio samples and Textures (etc!) down to 1/3, perhaps 1/4 current Resolution!!

Cutting the audio down like that should result in significant savings and still be more than enough quality to enjoy the game. No need for massive 44/48khz (or higher!) 16bit audio to be happy.

No doubt a great bulk of the current client's download is graphics, perhaps most of it, so I see no reason, in the same light, that much less resolution to texture (bundle) files resulting in significantly lower texture resolutions wouldnt be a bad thing, especially if your not playing on a freaking 4k screen and your not zoomed in to the max to look at your ship!

Basically, its the old school method of giving people a lower download cost, and in actual fact, a faster performing client that doesnt use as much precious resources! More for perhaps mc'ing or other software!

I for one would applaud the quick development of this "Light" download, and given the likely performance increases, perhaps so would allot of other players.

I reckon that the download should be able to shrink to downloading about only 200-300mb in total!

Downloads cost money, and the telco's are still trying to make maximum dollar off of us these days instead of giving us 5 times more data for our money!

StarSonata2 "Light" Download package please. Easy enough, right?!

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:09 pm
Team: Traders League
Main: Trenton
Level: 1615

Post Re: StarSonata2 Lite
Adendum:-

SS2-Lite : Principle ways to reduce file data and increase performance

Have the Client only present the option of "Lite" instead of "Low/Low Detail" etc in the startup Options.

Dont use fancy Ray-Trace like "Light Maps", after all the light sources should still result in the 3D Engine displaying correct intensity's for textures at distance and angle. Increased performance and less files!

When inplementing texture resolution reductions for the "Primary"(Combined) singular texture-composit files, have the verticies for individual textures reffer to percentage position from x by manner of width & y by manner of hight instead of resolution based count coordinates. This way the implementation is quick, from data-position to formula (when creating indivudual object textures in vid-ram) and a simple "Tool" can convert the data to percentages for file relativity.

A batch conversion for all the Audio files should suffice. Have the client either call the libs for low "Fidelity" audio or just play the lower quality file formats. Nice performance boost there, especially for complicatedly-noisy dg's or boss runs etc!

Dont use extra weapons effects like heaps of trails or muzzle flashes or lots of impact graphic to boost performance, once again, in "intense" situations. ie. Set Lag-Killer's more advanced configurations to a form of "Lite" precedent. Thus perhaps remove these files from inclusion also.

Use an ACTUAL Screen-Mode for the "Full-Screen" Option! This will increase performance significantly due to task-(time share)relativity, and more importantly, OS-Level Related-Work as the OS lets the software run its own relativity instead of "Relating" it to a Window amidst the Desktop or Another Desktop free full effectively buffered screen!!

That's about all I could think about for now after a night on the wine.

;-}

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:55 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Re: StarSonata2 Lite
Loading a Youtube page in 2019 uses around 50 megabytes. The page itself, to say nothing of the video.

Get off dial-up.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 am