Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Post Re: fun facts
Cygnus wrote:
Why would an omnipotent god create a universe with billions upon billions of interlocking rules and then ignore all of them?
Why the fuck not? Besides, the rules are just explained in human terms, why should they apply in any other context? If by interlocking rules you mean physics, then you're sadly mistaken about there be a lot of them. There's literally only one, the rest is geometry and multiples of objects and swarms of objects. (an analogy is one rule for gravitation but with a lot of objects) Frame dragging, time dialation, thermodynamics, etc are all the same rule, you can blatantly ignore all of the human made ones as they only hold only certain constraints. ie Things like thermodynamics only holds for chaotic motion in an object without a specified order. Hell, heat can flow from cold to hot if you do it right.(sure "increase entropy" elsewhere, but there are ways around that yadda yadda tangent etc)

Besides, directions from the gods can be things like "turn left" and "slow down". They don't necessarily hold in all situations.

Besides, landswimmer's just yammering on about how certain people are hypocrites.

Honestly, science does examine if these things are true, it's mostly geology, archaeology, history, and the like but it still does.

Landswimmer is not saying that random events did or did not cause or not cause anything. He's just saying that believing in evolution is at odds with the christian faith, at least if you take the entire bible literally without considering the background behind it. People used metaphors back then too. Landswimmer accidentally linked in making things up with misreading. In reality, it seems like few christians have even read the bible, so landswimmer isn't really on to much. It's not that they misread anything, it's just that they don't bother.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:23 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Cygnus wrote:

A true scientist knows that it is futile to attempt to prove or disprove the existence of a god or gods, because such creatures lie outside of the realm of science. A true scientist keeps philosophy separate from science, because science cannot positively determine a moral question. Science is pure, and clean, and by attempting to use it in such a manner you dirty the name of all scientists.

Interestingly enough, scientists have historically only invoked God when at the limits of their comprehension. An example of this would be Isaac Newton, who didn't mention God in any of his works until he couldn't explain something... boom. God.

The notion of a god is just something people use to explain things to which they have no answer, and without any actual proof to support this notion it should be ignored... because otherwise everything inconvenient just becomes magic.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

Cygnus wrote:
In other words, god "making man out of mud" translates to single celled organisms evolving slowly... At some point there, the first "Human" was born, someone with the ability to self-criticize(IE, consciousness)

While that's a popular theory, >95% of historical Christian theology would demand your excommunication.

In my opinion, the only reason anyone would both call themselves a Christian and claim a belief in evolution is because they don't have the balls to stand their ground.

Of course it doesn't help that scientists these days usually claim to deal in facts as they peddle their hypothesis. What charlatans.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

I'm kinda surprised that so many people are defending landswimmer. He's not exactly the paragon of mental stability. Oh well.

Honestly, if you only consider fundamentalist christians to be 'real' christians, you're not being any better than them, at least in some respects. By that same logic, all muslims are fanatical suicide bombers, all jews are greedy, etc.

The vast majority of the christians that I know believe in evolution. I've heard pastors preach about it. You've gotta remember, christians tend to be conservative, and they tend to elect people even more conservative than them. That led to certain...unfortunate...things(Sorry Galileo!). But eventually they come around. The current gay marriage thing is a big part of that.

Like you said, oftentimes people who claim to be christians don't actually read the bible, or insert their own beliefs into it. Pulling from the Gay Marriage example from above, people often use the Sodom and Gomorrah story to say that gay people are sinful, yet it never specifies that they're evil because they're gay; in the context, it makes a lot more sense that they're evil because they want to gang-rape their visitors. Other references to it being an abomination to lie with "Strange Flesh" often translate more accurately to refer to angelic flesh, rather than flesh of the same gender.

People inserting their own beliefs into the bible.

Regardless, "Having the balls to stand their ground," in the context you're speaking of, is more being obstinate rather than being pure of heart and loving your neighbor as yourself.

Additionally, many historical scientists did not use god exclusively to explain things they couldn't understand; while they might have done that as well, they were also often seen as describing the universe as simple in a way that only god could have created. Being a scientist in no way disallows being a scientist; most scientists from history were devoutly religious.

As for the reference towards scientists dealing in "Facts" when they only deal in hypotheses...that is the silliest statement I've heard so far. Scientists work with facts and theories, they create hypotheses in order to attempt to disprove them. A theory, regardless of the name, is not some amorphous thing that is unproven and unproveable. Much to the contrary, a theory is as close to a fact as science can provide. When you've watched a billion rocks fall, you can come up with something like the Theory of Gravity, that says that things fall when you drop them(much more complicated than that, of course(please don't grab at threads)).

When personal beliefs come into it and starts to interfere with scientific rigor, it steps outside science and becomes pseudoscience.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 pm
Main: The_Ultimatum
Level: 4307

There is a lot of context in the first chapter of the bible that 95% of "real" Christians don't even know, or understand. The "7 days that the earth was made" was not in fact the first creation. Between the first and second verse of the bible, millions of years pass. The first verse, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth" was the first creation, where he made primitive life over a several hundred million years such as dinosaurs, insects, large sea life, and even neanderthals. Then he destroyed the earth: "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." And created it again. Evolution is very much a part of creationism, but you have to keep in mind that from the second creation all the way to now, is only a couple thousand years.. not much evolution can happen in that short amount of time (3000-5000 years.)

I'm not even a christian, but ive been in a church pretty much my whole life to understand why, and how people are able to believe such things.

Why would an omnipotent god create a universe and obey certain laws that he himself created? I don't know, you are going to have to ask him yourself. :P

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... dowsig.png

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 pm
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

The thing about the bible is that it gives a lot of info, but there's still plenty that isn't included in the manual. As a gamer, I see things from a gamer's perspective; when I play a game of Age of Empires, the game is much less fun if I use cheat codes to win. When I can carefully, elegantly play the game according to its own rules and win, that's the ideal situation.

That said, it's always fun to spawn a couple hundred machine gun cars and blast my way to victory.

Along the same lines, I feel like god has to have turned off part of his omnipotence at some point in the past, because there's no such thing as free will if you know what will happen in the future. I'm a very strong believer in free will.

But all that tells you is that everyone has their own beliefs even if they're nominally of the same religion.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:00 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

But at the same time you're controlling or perhaps "inspiring" people to do things in games, I mean, heck, I wouldn't want to harvest the same berry bush for a hundred or so years nonstop.

It does seem like God has "turned off" his omnipotence, but honestly, wouldn't it be more fun to do it as a human? Just outright setting the state of a planet to "without war" sort of defeats the purpose of the excersize. It's like building a skyscraper legit in minecraft, I mean, I'll still use creative mode, but I'll do it on a superflat world with villages turned off.

You could just look at it as "creating a race with an interesting past". I mean, just having the UrQa flying around isn't all that fun, just let the simulation run, maybe steer the star out of harms way, make it so asteroids narrowly miss, that sort of thing. Just setting a race to the state of "interesting past" doesn't make it interesting. It can, but it's just not the same as having a hand in it or watching it unfold.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I would set up (or ask someone like Hipixel) command blocks to spawn increasingly difficult mob waves as I build a skyscraper, because it way more fun to simulate the Tower of Babel than fly around in Creative Mode...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:30 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

potato8 wrote:
Between the first and second verse of the bible, millions of years pass.

There's absolutely no reason to say that. Either verse 1 is a summary of the chapter or, my personal theory, it means what it says and that explains the second verse with the earth already being there, but "without form and void".

Cygnus wrote:
Along the same lines, I feel like god has to have turned off part of his omnipotence at some point in the past, because there's no such thing as free will if you know what will happen in the future.

How does me knowing whats gonna happen make you not have free will? open theists... I shoulda known.

Cygnus wrote:
As for the reference towards scientists dealing in "Facts" when they only deal in hypotheses...

Don't misquote me. I said popular scientists tend to overstate their case, which is in fact what makes them popular. See following point for details.

Cygnus wrote:
Much to the contrary, a theory is as close to a fact as science can provide

That was in fact where I was sorta going with that, but didn't really want to go there. Neither science nor theology deal in facts as the word is commonly understood. Most people (non-scientists in particular) assume certainty because uncertainty makes them wet themselves.

I understand something of uncertainty; a little knowledge of statistics is surprisingly helpful. The theory of gravity is something I'll grant you without qualm because its appears to be highly accurate in describing certain non-relativistic interactions between objects. Humankind evolving from mud has nowhere near the kind of overwhelming evidence; its statistically improbable. It is however the only naturalistic solution available, so the naturalist mind concludes it must be true! After all, in an infinite universe even the statistically impossible is possible, right?

Why do I bring all this up? Simply to suggest that what many purport to be a "scientific fact" is in fact statistically impossible.

Fine, I've misused statistics. But show me the other zillions of planets with unintelligent life and then we'll talk, k?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 pm
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

Cygnus wrote:
That is, of course, assuming that the two are mutually exclusive. Why would an omnipotent god create a universe with billions upon billions of interlocking rules and then ignore all of them? maybe god created the universe and man created the rules?

maybe man created the rules, and created an imaginary "enforcer" to ensure those rules do not get broken?

maybe the christian bible is just a collection of stories, put together by a roman emperor in the centuries after the death of a man who had philosophical insight so great that people considered him to be the son of god.

just because the bible is false does not mean god does not exist. if the bible is false it just means the bible is false.

Also, how do you expect to make primitive, scienceless people understand cellular biology? They don't even know what a cell is. so? human intelligence is mostly cultural, there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER why a perfect being wouldnt be able to explain biology to humans using scientific language that would allow them to understand it.

there is however, alot of indication that the people who wrote the bible were not "perfect beings", there is alot of indication that they were HUMAN beings.

again, there is nothing that can disprove god. but the bible is not god. there are plenty of things that can and do disprove the bible.

In other words, god "making man out of mud" translates to single celled organisms evolving slowly, over millions or billions of years, into eukaryotic organisms there is no valid reference to the evolution of cell nuclei, there is no mention of anything that even comes close to it.

if the bible is an "analogy" or "metaphor" for how live evolved chemically, it is a very flawed one.

, into primates and finally into humans. there is no mention of primates becoming humans. At some point there, the first "Human" was born, someone with the ability to self-criticize(IE, consciousness) what if that ability isnt a "have it" or "dont have it" thing, maybe its something that develops gradually, like how with children when they grow up, they gradually get smarter and smarter until they become fully functioning adults who can wipe their own asses.

, and chances are they were born in a jungle-like equitorial area. Boom, you've got Adam in the Garden of Eden. Maybe they were born with the ability to self-criticize but did not, and then a female came along and offered them sour fruit. They ate it, they got sick, and suddenly criticized themself for listening to a woman, and thus the first actually human intelligence was sparked. that is honest to god, the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

if the story of adam and eve is a metaphor for anything, it is a metaphor for intelligence itself. the more intelligent a being is, the more capable of suffering it is. insects can be physically hurt, but it is extremely unlikely that they can experience psychological suffering like humans can.

but that would imply that the universe is god, and evolution is god, which does not fit with the literal interpretation of the bible. the "punishment" of god, for taking the advantages of intelligence, was the requirement to take the disadvantages of intelligence.

You'll note that there is no mention of times between the exodus from the garden and the first major civilization. There are charts of heridity, but we have no idea how long people lived back then. Some people theorize that the biblical "Fruit of Life" was a type of plant that contained a retrovirus that changed the way human tellomeres functioned, effectively extending human life, easily explaining how people back then were claimed to have lived for nearly a thousand years. you should not listen to those people, because they're fucking retarded.

And there is a historical event at some point where the vast majority of the human predecessors were wiped out. This is a fact. It's been proven by heridity. that is correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam
Quote:
A paper published in March 2013 determined that, with 95% confidence and that provided there are no systematic errors in the study's data, Y-chromosomal Adam lived between 237,000 and 581,000 years ago.[2] Earlier studies have estimated the date for Y-MRCA as between 60,000[3] and 142,000 years ago.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
Quote:
Mitochondrial Eve is estimated to have lived approximately 200,000 years ago,[3] most likely in East Africa,[4] when Homo sapiens sapiens (anatomically modern humans) were developing as a population distinct from other human sub-species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory
Quote:
The Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 50,000 years ago,[28][29] which may have resulted from a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[30]

According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000-10,000 surviving individuals.[31][32] It is supported by genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 to 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[33]

Now they don't have any idea how MANY people were left, but it was in the hundreds range. thousands actually. Boom, Noah's Ark. nope. it was a volcano, and a volcanic ice age.

sea levels DROPPED.
A few people build boats and escape the floods, again, there were no floods. it was a volcanic ice age. and when they come to land, they're in a place where the old Tree of Life no longer exists, or maybe it was wiped out by the flooding. So people don't live as long, and that brings us to the beginning of the more 'modern' biblical period. there is a theorised source for the "great flood" myth, but it isnot related to a "near extinction"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_ ... hypothesis
Quote:
The Black Sea deluge is a hypothesized catastrophic rise in the level of the Black Sea circa 5600 BC due to waters from the Mediterranean Sea breaching a sill in the Bosporus Strait. The hypothesis made headlines when The New York Times published it in December 1996, shortly before it was published in an academic journal.[1] While it is agreed that the sequence of events described did occur, there is debate over the suddenness, dating and magnitude of the events.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now all of that could be true, or it could be total BS. its the latter. But how are you going to prove it? with science. How can you prove that it was random events, and not God, that caused the flood? by looking at the evidence?

i am not disputing the hypothesis that god exists, i am disputing the assertion that the bible is correct.

you cannot prove or disprove god, but you CAN prove or disprove statements made by the bible.

How do you prove that it was evolution, and not God, that caused the first spark of what we define as 'consciousness'? that is a null hypothesis, since "god" cannot be quantified and conciousness has not been quantified.

but i'm not trying to say anything about any "metaphysical" god that is everywhere and nowhere and is all powerful

i'm trying to say that the bible is complete bullshit

i'm trying to say that no all powerful, all knowing god would create the bible as we know it, unless the bible's sole purpose was to mislead humans into murdering each other for god's entertainment.

That's why I decry you. You claim to be a scientist, and yet you speak like a philosopher. people dont listen to scientists, because people are stupid. people listen to philosophers. they dont care about the periodicity of elements, or the mathematical beauty of physics theories, they only care about the philosophical implictions of these discoveries.

i speak like a philosopher when discussing science, for the same reason that parents speak like babies when they talk to their babies.

Do you know what a Sophist is? It's a term from ancient greece, where a specific subset of people attempted to perfect certain schools of rhetoric in order to win arguments. They were criticized by the well known rhetoricians, like Plato and Socrates, because they were immoral. They bragged of winning arguments from a point of weakness, even though they knew they were wrong, while Plato and Socrates and their contemporaries were concerned with discerning truth through their words.

A true scientist knows that it is futile to attempt to prove or disprove the existence of a god or gods, because such creatures lie outside of the realm of science. correct. but the bible has no such immunity. the bible makes claims which CAN be verified, and in every single case, the bible has been proven either wrong, or so incomplete that any truths are incidental. A true scientist keeps philosophy separate from science, a "TRUE SCIENTIST" is someone who has a degree, and does SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH. whether they dabble in philosophy is entirely up to them. carl sagan did, neil degrasse tyson does, stephen hawking does, literally every famous scientist ever, has dabbled in philosophy.

philosophy based on science is the only way for scientists to become famous outside of the scientific community.
because science cannot positively determine a moral question. actually, in most cases, it can. its called ETHICS, and it is REQUIRED STUDY for undergrad science courses at university. Science is pure, and clean, and by attempting to use it in such a manner you dirty the name of all scientists. science is a method, a method which can be used to verify statements about testable systems. the bible makes many such statements, and has been proven wrong many times.

if christians followed the scientific method, it would take only a SINGLE false prediction for the bible to be completely thrown out. it has not been.

So take your drivel and get it out of here. Nobody wants to hear it, and nobody cares. no. you dont have leg to stand on in accusing me of being unscientific. YOU take YOUR drivel and get it out of here.

Good Day.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

The Biblical Flood probably did exist, it just didn't almost annihilate the human race. The "Biblical" Flood is most likely the Mediterranean flooding into the fresh water Black Sea. There was a series of large (for the time) human settlements, and there is a layer of fresh water down there with fossils of fresh water marine life dating to that time period.

The end result was that a lot of people were displaced. Chances are that all the flood stories that originated around the area from Europe to India was that same event.

And, how big is "the world" they were talking about. My world is the immediate area around the city I live in, same goes for almost all humans on Earth. The "flood that destroyed the world" may have been the "flood that destroyed the immediate and nearby areas where I lived". For people that don't walk 30 miles every day anymore, (like, farmers) an event that destroys hundreds of square miles just destroyed everything you knew. Your world.

The Garden of Eden was probably a real place, but...not a christian place. There are remains of a civilization that lived on what was a tropical island in the Persian Gulf. This society worshipped snakes. The island today is only just a big sand dune with a few building and artifact remains left.

That was probably paradise, but if read into christian history, you'd know that christian leaders always depict the head or main religion of other societies as their devil. Ba'al is the Hittite/Canaanite Zeus. However in the Hebrew languages, "Ba'al" translates as "Lucifer, Satan, and the Devil".

So if your society's main god or religion was based on snakes, guess what snakes are going to represent in Christianity. Just be glad dogs and eagles weren't worshipped, or the history of the United States and the British Empire would have been much different.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Cygnus wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that so many people are defending landswimmer. He's not exactly the paragon of mental stability. Oh well. u mad?

Honestly, if you only consider fundamentalist christians to be 'real' christians, you're not being any better than them, at least in some respects. By that same logic, all muslims are fanatical suicide bombers, all jews are greedy, etc. its not a generalisation. "all jews are greedy" and "all muslims are terrorists" are generalisations.

"all christians beleive the literal interpretation of the bible" isnt a generalisation, its a PREREQUISITE for being a christian.

if you dont beleive in the literal interpretation, and you beleive evolution, then you arent a christian.

just like how you cant be a chemist if you dont beleive and understand the foundational theories of modern chemistry

The vast majority of the christians that I know believe in evolution. if they beleive evolution, they are not christians. christians beleive in what the bible says, and it is impossible to beleive in two mutally exclusive things while understanding both. either they dont understand evolution, or they dont understand the bible. I've heard pastors preach about it. and so you know, just how perverted the system has become, that it openly pushes ideas which contradict its foundation. its almost like if the US government had a program to spy on everyone, despite the constitution prohibiting such things. You've gotta remember, christians tend to be conservative, and they tend to elect people even more conservative than them. That led to certain...unfortunate...things(Sorry Galileo!). But eventually they come around. The current gay marriage thing is a big part of that. if a christian supports gay marriage then they are not a real christian. the bible explicitly forbids homosexuality. you cannot "Reinterpret" those passages, you can only ignore them. and ignoring them is not only "unchristian", it is also "unscientific"

Like you said, oftentimes people who claim to be christians don't actually read the bible, or insert their own beliefs into it. YOU ACTUALLY GET THE POINT!

why cant you recognise that it applies to all christians who do not interpret the bible literally?

if there was no garden of eden, there was no original sin, and jesus died for nothing, and "jesus dieing for our sins" is what holds all of christianity together.

removing the literal interpretation of genesis is like removing the main load bearing pylon in a building. the whole thing just collapses.

Pulling from the Gay Marriage example from above, people often use the Sodom and Gomorrah story to say that gay people are sinful, yet it never specifies that they're evil because they're gay; in the context, it makes a lot more sense that they're evil because they want to gang-rape their visitors. Other references to it being an abomination to lie with "Strange Flesh" often translate more accurately to refer to angelic flesh, rather than flesh of the same gender. leviticus is concise and explicit. men who lay with other men must be stoned. whether that is a reference to burying people up to their necks in sand and pelting them with rocks, or smoking marijuana, i do not know. but the bible says it.

and genesis says that everything including humans was created in 7 days. and that completely conflicts with modern science. beleiving the bible prohibits you from being considered a scientifically minded person, and beleiving modern science prohibits you from being a christian.

genesis forms the foundation of christianity, and genesis conflicts with science more than any other part of the bible.

People inserting their own beliefs into the bible.

Regardless, "Having the balls to stand their ground," in the context you're speaking of, is more being obstinate rather than being pure of heart and loving your neighbor as yourself. what, so people cannot do that unless they tie their beleif in god to a book filled with lies and half truths?

Additionally, many historical scientists did not use god exclusively to explain things they couldn't understand; while they might have done that as well, they were also often seen as describing the universe as simple in a way that only god could have created. Being a scientist in no way disallows being a scientist; most scientists from history were devoutly religious. and yet, these words we're written by someone who in his last post, criticised me for bringing philosophy into science

how can you consider the bible to be so important to your faith in god, when you dont beleive half the stuff the bible says?

make up your mind cyg, you cannot say philosophy in science is bad, and then use philosophy in science to try and legitimise faith in the bible.

albert einstein beleived in god, but he thought the bible was a complete load of shit.

anyone who beleives in god, and beleives in modern science, is of the same "religion" as albert einstein.

as science has progressed, more and more scientists have disavowed god, and almost every single one has disavowed the bible. science is not something that began perfect, and that means that later conclusions and more recent trends are far more indicative of truth than historic trends and early ideas.

you arent a real christian if you beleive in evolution, and you arent a real christian if you dont go to church every weekened. there are no real christian scientists. there are plenty of "deist" scientists who beleive in a god, but there are no real christians who are real scientists.

As for the reference towards scientists dealing in "Facts" when they only deal in hypotheses...that is the silliest statement I've heard so far. scientists deal in evidence. Scientists work with facts and theories, scientists work in evidence, theories and hypotheses. they create hypotheses in order to attempt to disprove them. correct. A theory, regardless of the name, is not some amorphous thing that is unproven and unproveable. correct. Much to the contrary, a theory is as close to a fact as science can provide. correct. When you've watched a billion rocks fall, you can come up with something like the Theory of Gravity, that says that things fall when you drop them(much more complicated than that, of course(please don't grab at threads)). correct.

When personal beliefs come into it and starts to interfere with scientific rigor, it steps outside science and becomes pseudoscience. correct.

i dont care what you tell other people, i only care what you tell yourself.

if you beleive in evolution, then the bible is not connected to your beleif in god. the bible is not sacred, and nothing in the bible should be considered correct until scientifically proven.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Cygnus wrote:
The thing about the bible is that it gives a lot of info, but there's still plenty that isn't included in the manual. As a gamer, I see things from a gamer's perspective; when I play a game of Age of Empires, the game is much less fun if I use cheat codes to win. When I can carefully, elegantly play the game according to its own rules and win, that's the ideal situation.

That said, it's always fun to spawn a couple hundred machine gun cars and blast my way to victory.

Along the same lines, I feel like god has to have turned off part of his omnipotence at some point in the past, because there's no such thing as free will if you know what will happen in the future. I'm a very strong believer in free will.

But all that tells you is that everyone has their own beliefs even if they're nominally of the same religion.

that is not a christian beleif. you are a deist/theist. your beleifs relating to god are formed from your own philosophical conclusions.

and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

just stop calling yourself a christian. because you arent one, for the exact same reason you're not a scientist. your beleifs may be influenced by christianity, but you are not a christian, and your beleifs may be influenced by science, but you arent a scientist.

SkyTitan wrote:
But at the same time you're controlling or perhaps "inspiring" people to do things in games, I mean, heck, I wouldn't want to harvest the same berry bush for a hundred or so years nonstop.

It does seem like God has "turned off" his omnipotence, but honestly, wouldn't it be more fun to do it as a human? Just outright setting the state of a planet to "without war" sort of defeats the purpose of the excersize. It's like building a skyscraper legit in minecraft, I mean, I'll still use creative mode, but I'll do it on a superflat world with villages turned off.

You could just look at it as "creating a race with an interesting past". I mean, just having the UrQa flying around isn't all that fun, just let the simulation run, maybe steer the star out of harms way, make it so asteroids narrowly miss, that sort of thing. Just setting a race to the state of "interesting past" doesn't make it interesting. It can, but it's just not the same as having a hand in it or watching it unfold.

that is not a christian beleif. your beleifs relating to god are formed from your own philosophical conclusions.

that makes you a deist/theist.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Cygnus wrote:
Like you said, oftentimes people who claim to be christians don't actually read the bible, or insert their own beliefs into it. Pulling from the Gay Marriage example from above, people often use the Sodom and Gomorrah story to say that gay people are sinful, yet it never specifies that they're evil because they're gay; in the context, it makes a lot more sense that they're evil because they want to gang-rape their visitors. Other references to it being an abomination to lie with "Strange Flesh" often translate more accurately to refer to angelic flesh, rather than flesh of the same gender.

Gal. 5:19-21 (17 Works of the Flesh)

Read'm, know'm, love'm.

Ill even give you a little plagiarized background to kick things off.

"4 Sins of Lust"
1. Adultery– Greek: moicheia, unlawful sexual relations between men and women,
single or married (Mt. 5:32; Mt. 15:19; Mk. 7:21; Jn. 8:3; Gal. 5:19).
The Greek:moichao, commit adultery (Mt. 5:27-28; Mt. 19:18; Mk. 10:19; Lk. 16:18; Lk. 18:20; Jn. 8:4; Rom. 2:22; 13:9; Jas. 2:11; Rev. 2:22)

2. Fornication – Greek: porneia, same as adultery above besides all manner of other
unlawful relations (Mt. 5:32)

3. Uncleanness – Greek: akatharsia, whatever is opposite of purity; including
sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, and all other forms of
sexual perversion (Mt. 23:27; Rom. 1:21-32; Rom. 6:19; 2 Cor. 12:21; Eph. 4:19;
Eph. 5:3; Col. 3:5; 1 Th. 2:3; 1 Th. 4:7; 2 Pet. 2)

4. Lasciviousness – Greek: aselgeia, licentiousness, lustfulness, unchastity, and
lewdness (Mk. 7:22; 2 Cor. 12:21; Gal. 5:19; Eph. 4:19; 1 Pet. 4:3; Jude 4);
wantonness (Rom. 13:13; 2 Pet. 2:18); filthy (2 Pet. 2:7). Lasciviousness is the promoting or partaking of that which tends to produce lewd emotions, anything
tending to foster sex, sin, and lust. That is why many worldly pleasures have to
be avoided by the Christian – so that lasciviousness may not be committed.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 am

Also if you didn't previously know this, the bible was not written in english (OMG MIND BLOWN) so pretty much throw every single thing you previously knew about the christian faith out the fucking window if you aren't someone who is actively pursuing knowing and understanding the language that the faith was founded in. (assuming that you are not a forever living being and just happened to be there when it happened.)

Listen, we are social creatures. There is a certain level of understanding I am willing to give the human mind in finding understanding and absolution about those big "life" questions. And frankly I enjoy the good that can come from these beliefs. There are soooo many major religious systems that the modern world still recognizes, and they are all believed in the same tenacity and stubbornness (well maybe some more than others.) Also, to think how many ancient gods and idols that are lost in time is mind blowing. Every culture had their own belief system around the world based on their geography, and some of them were obviously more historically driven and recorded than others. What I am trying to say is that the written word has always been a form of social interaction between past and future, but to really understand how the author of those texts had intended for us interpret what they wrote we would need to first know the fucking language it was originally written in, and what context it was written in.

The way I see it is this. There needs to be some kind of observable evidence of some kind to support what you believe in. If you see someones fucking arm grow back within a few seconds after it had been chopped off with no kind of crazy alien cellular regeneration tool (this would be in the back of my head if i actually saw this) used after some christian guy preyed for it. Then by all fucking means believe that. I know this is kind of the "doubting thomas" way of seeing things, but fuck it, when all said and done, thomas was probably the only one there who had any common sense.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next