Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3279

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Omate TrueSmart Watch
Samsung and the major phone manufacturers are caught in the early tracks of a smartwatch war.

Meanwhile, these guys already won the war: http://www.omate.com/

They've each got their smartwatches, and even qualcomm has joined in. Guess what none of them have?

It's Waterproof, android 4.2.2, 1.3ghz dual core snapdragon cpu. 512 mb ram. This thing is ME GUSTA.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

Post Re: Omate TrueSmart Watch
sorry. i am mindless apple customer and i need apple to make stuff that is exactly the same as what things they made before are

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Watches are not a technology worth investing in. Every company in this garbage race has already admitted that making the watch is not the challenge. Getting people to buy a completely obsolete technology that is, in every way, over shadowed by 8 different devices in your life is.

They have all already said that their main competition is not competing companies, it is the fact that there is no logical reason to ever buy a watch in this day.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:26 am
Main: Dexter
Level: 4383

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Watches are not a technology worth investing in. Every company in this garbage race has already admitted that making the watch is not the challenge. Getting people to buy a completely obsolete technology that is, in every way, over shadowed by 8 different devices in your life is.

They have all already said that their main competition is not competing companies, it is the fact that there is no logical reason to ever buy a watch in this day.

QFT

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 am

<Has a watch
<75% of friends have watches
<75% of their friends have watches

YEAH, TOTALLY A DYING TECHNOLOGY.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I would never wear just one watch. I prefer my arms to weigh the same.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 pm
Main: Dexter
Level: 4383

Perhaps it may vary on your location like many other fads do then. I know that where i'm located (Central U.S) I can't name any people who wear watches. However, I can name some older people (40+) who do wear watches. I'd never wear a watch my self.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:41 pm
Main: Curse
Level: 5572

i didnt wear watches simply because i didnt like how they felt on mah arms.

derpy is best pony

most fun to play with wings ^_^

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

I am in the military, and that is the highest concentration of watch wearers I have ever encountered (we can almost justify owning them because we can get them cheap, and having a phone on you is often frowned upon where having a watch is not), and you're still only looking at maybe 5-10% of people owning a watch.

As far as civilian life goes, I cannot remember the last time I saw someone wearing a watch in Oklahoma, and I will admit that I saw a handful of people wearing watches in California, then back to no people in North Carolina.

Cell phones, tablets, netbooks, MP3 players, ebook readers, etc... all of them come in compact packages and have all of the functionality that these watches will offer, plus much more. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this "race" is simply the product of technology companies headed by men in their late for forties to early sixties having no idea what the average 20-30 year old wants, so they are turning their resources towards useless bullshit that will never achieve a large enough audience to catch on.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 pm

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Cell phones, tablets, netbooks, MP3 players, ebook readers, etc... all of them come in compact packages and have all of the functionality that these watches will offer, plus much more.

Those devices have android 4.2.2. This is what gives them that functionality. These watches will also have that OS, thus giving them the SAME functionality. These watches also have similar hardware to those devices. So tell me exactly how they will be different? The only difference is that these are phones in watch size. On your wrist.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 pm
Main: Curse
Level: 5572

i dun even have a smart phone or anything like that or iphone, i use err, tracphone or similer shitty devices cuz #yolo

derpy is best pony

most fun to play with wings ^_^

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm

We Are Social (Social Media Outlet) wrote:
Figures from social media analysts We Are Social found that on launch day, the Galaxy Gear received 58,000 mentions on Twitter, blogs and forums.
The Galaxy Note 3 received 29,900 and references to Unpacked - the name of the Samsung event - totalled 5,400.
The #galaxygear hashtag got 5,090 mentions. Before the event there were 140,000 mentions for the Galaxy S4.
During the Unpacked event, We Are Social has created a gender breakdown of those who mentioned the conference.
Based on a sample of 11,931 Twitter handles, 81 per cent were male while 19 per cent were female.
The overall reaction on social media to the device was:
• Unimpressed: 41 per cent
• Innovative: 49 per cent
• General Positive Reaction: 10 per cent

The technology is unimpressive, and gimmicky. All projected sales so far have been low as fuck for every single company trying to bring one of these to market. You're talking about smaller screens which inherently give less functionality, smaller cases which will only allow for smaller less impressive components, and thus less impressive power and performance, not to mention most of the companies developing these right now are not in fact developing them as stand alone devices, they are mostly being announced as auxiliary devices to interface with your... you guessed it; Smartphone.

As for the only positive thing it brings to the table (smaller more manageable size), think about how many people you know right now that are rocking an Ipod Shuffle as opposed to an Itouch or Iphone, both have fully functional touchscreens and fill generally the same role, but the average consumer has already decided, larger interfaces and increased functionality are vastly preferred. These things are destined to flop, and there is no reason to think otherwise.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:11 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:
blerg

You must have missed the fact that this topic is talking about the Omate TrueSmart Watch. Not the Galaxy Gear, not the Pebble, none of those pretenders. Please analyze the correct device when you talk about it :P

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 am

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:
blerg

You must have missed the fact that this topic is talking about the Omate TrueSmart Watch. Not the Galaxy Gear, not the Pebble, none of those pretenders. Please analyze the correct device when you talk about it :P

Even then, good luck marketing the item successfully with such a low resolution. It will fill a niche market for people interested in them, but it will never reach the mainstream on levels that smartphones have. In addition to that, the omate will have to contend with being typecast into the roles that the major tech companies put theirs in because they simply won't have the advertising power to escape that.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am