Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Getting new laptop
I remember seeing threads like this in the past so why not. I am buying new laptop. Help me choose.

Before anyone suggests it, no I won't buy a desktop. I know desktops get good specs cheaper but only laptop works for my lifestyle.

I'm looking for laptop with best performance for my bucks. I don't want to pay extra for design. I hate Apple for life so not that. I have bad experience about HP so not that either. I have owned few Acer laptops in a row now. For whatever reason I have a feeling they are cheaper compared to some other brands and I really don't want to pay any extra for a brand. If Acer really is good performance for bucks, great. If not, prove me wrong.

My budget is 1000 €. I might settle for cheaper if I think that difference between 600 and 1000 € laptops isn't good enough to justify the price tag.

I'm slightly skeptic about laptop's airflow and cooling system.

Should I look for laptops with new versions of graphic cards or are slightly older versions better for value?

Are there any sites with reputation of selling laptops cheaper than other online shops? I live in Europe. Any suggestions for sites with good reviews for laptops?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Re: Getting new laptop
I was doing some research and found this one. It's quite cheap because of some new year offer.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:43 pm
Press Corps
Team: Aidelon
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 4233

I honestly don't know much about picking a laptop, but I do know that no matter what laptop you get it will be obsolete within a year, three at the outside. You could easily build a solid tower computer for 1k euro that, with minor upgrades from time to time, could last you upwards 5+ years.

That said, if you're set on getting a laptop you might consider taking a look at or posting on Tom's Hardware. I'm pretty sure they have a euro website, and there are tons of people there who know a lot and are always willing to help out.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 pm
Main: Kenshin Uesugi
Level: 11

Yoko_Kurama wrote:
I honestly don't know much about picking a laptop, but I do know that no matter what laptop you get it will be obsolete within a year, three at the outside. You could easily build a solid tower computer for 1k euro that, with minor upgrades from time to time, could last you upwards 5+ years.

That said, if you're set on getting a laptop you might consider taking a look at or posting on Tom's Hardware. I'm pretty sure they have a euro website, and there are tons of people there who know a lot and are always willing to help out.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Got my laptop about 2 years ago, still rocking it and itll keep rocking until it dies.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:32 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

If it's got an Intel GPU, run away from it, it's evil.

You can use these sites to compare benchmarks on hardwares:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Generally though, older generation high end is better than newer generation low end, for cost as well.

To put things in a bit of perspective. Jey's super awesome computer with more monitors than you could think to look at and like 24 or something crazy GB RAM, has GTX 450's. I use 650 Ti's. Although in a laptop you'll get low power versions which are appended with 'M' to indicate the laptop version (for nVidia GPUs at least, I don't know about AMD).

That said, AMD stuff tends to be less power hungry than nVidia/Intel (CPU), so if you're on the move a lot, AMD might be better for you. :)

Also, don't get a Dell.

Support

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Blue Dwarf wrote:
If it's got an Intel GPU, run away from it, it's evil.

This. A graphics card from 2003 can play minecraft faster than an intel gpu. (better than ~27fps on minimum settings is not hard, even for a .002k shader .275ghz card)

Tom's hardware in general is a good source of unbiased information(as far as I've seen).

In my experience, something highend but not power hungry will last a long time. Anything that is power hungry will seem like a waste later on when it no longer has the performance edge.

I really don't know how most brands stack up against eachother. Dell is generally good about its warranties(in my experience), but you will still get what you buy and they do get payed by manufacturers to sell only certain hardware(which has generally known defects).

My friend had an asus laptop, which, though it put out a lot of heat(when playing games while in maximum performance mode) it didn't overheat nearly as badly as most (intel gpu) laptops do at maximum load. You could hear the air blowing, but the fan wasn't loud and you couldn't hurt yourself with the heat.(this was around 3 years ago, don't know if things have changed with new laptops)

Seriously, I've had a dell laptop with intel gpu that actually managed to break of the plastic grate in front of the heatsink. Laptops made for handling heat do much better than low power laptops do. If you get the right laptop it shouldn't be a problem.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 pm
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Check those:
Asus n56vv (I recommend this one)
Lenovo Y580 or Y510 (might have trouble with intel's Turbo Boost in games)
Maybe Lenovo G500H

Look here for reviews:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/

Also
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Pro ... 436.0.html
Check TDP on processors, especially if your aiming for Intel Core i7, most of them are way heater than i5 and not much better in games.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 am