Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Zarcon
Level: 1269

Post Elite: Dangerous
Did anyone play the old Elite games? Commodore 64, commodore Amiga Versions?

Im really excited about this, its a new Elite, its almost ready by the looks of things, its been on kickstarter and has raised 1.5m in backings, take a look....Discuss

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... -dangerous

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Thaj
Level: 2058

Post Re: Elite: Dangerous
I sure did. I played the original versions on C64, MSX, and later on PC at that time. (Was 286 machine with 20MB hard drive and EGA Graphics). Elite is still in my top10 of games. I never liked any of those advanced versions however. So it will be interesting to see how i rate this new upcoming one. :)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 am

There are several Dev Diary vids that are posted, it looks extremely promising :) If you read also, it pushed every computer to its limits to squeeze every KB of performance from the coding and the machine, and they are doing the same for modern day PC's, I agree though, in that day, it was such a huge game in that there was no end to it, which was unusual for that era, it was one of the first sandbox games which was so successful (but looking at youtube video's of it, was horrible gfx lol)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 am

Gfx were horrible if you compare it to nowadays standards. But actually they were quite ok for that time. It was like you said probably 1st of it's kind as being sandbox type of game. Yea it was huge. That was exactly why i was so carried away about it. Another thing was that it used vector graphics. And if i remember correctly only PC version (maybe Amiga too) were the only incarnations where the vectors were actually filled.

And when i got my hands on the PC version version. There was no going back to play with the "inferior" platforms. Experience of the game play was just so much better on PC compared to C64 or MSX. Unfilled vector graphics and slowness of graphics combined were just too much.

This sandbox type was blessing and a curse at same time. When you had actually done everything there was to do. (Levelled up to Elite and bought all most expensive gear) Game didn't really offer anything more. Ofcourse there were missions once you were able to change the galaxy 1st time but that just wasn't enough.

I kinda solved the problem just by starting over again. And trying to play differently. There were couple of approaches to how to play. Play as miner, bounty hunter, pirate, trader, or mixed combination of them all. Since it was solo game space was quite empty.

Nowadays the original concept just wouldn't work. Imagine you have few hundred star systems in five or so different galaxies and all of them are exactly the same graphically and by construction. When you enter star system you are always behind planet and you have to fly to other side where the star base is. Always the same fly ... always some AIs attacking you. Always same sun just the opposite of planet and star base. lol

I will look into this new incarnation. I am definately interested to know what is the approach to really have more content there. And how they avoid the bad things about original concept.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:18 am

Thaj wrote:
Gfx were horrible if you compare it to nowadays standards. But actually they were quite ok for that time. It was like you said probably 1st of it's kind as being sandbox type of game. Yea it was huge. That was exactly why i was so carried away about it. Another thing was that it used vector graphics. And if i remember correctly only PC version (maybe Amiga too) were the only incarnations where the vectors were actually filled. Its 20 years ago, course they were :) but it was 3D which, at the time was cutting edge

And when i got my hands on the PC version version. There was no going back to play with the "inferior" platforms. Experience of the game play was just so much better on PC compared to C64 or MSX. Unfilled vector graphics and slowness of graphics combined were just too much.

This sandbox type was blessing and a curse at same time. When you had actually done everything there was to do. (Levelled up to Elite and bought all most expensive gear) Game didn't really offer anything more. Ofcourse there were missions once you were able to change the galaxy 1st time but that just wasn't enough. I agree in a way, but, isn't that the same with all games of that time? once you'd completed it, that was the last time you played, at least with this there were other challenges etc

I kinda solved the problem just by starting over again. And trying to play differently. There were couple of approaches to how to play. Play as miner, bounty hunter, pirate, trader, or mixed combination of them all. Since it was solo game space was quite empty.

Nowadays the original concept just wouldn't work. Imagine you have few hundred star systems in five or so different galaxies and all of them are exactly the same graphically and by construction. When you enter star system you are always behind planet and you have to fly to other side where the star base is. Always the same fly ... always some AIs attacking you. Always same sun just the opposite of planet and star base. lol

I will look into this new incarnation. I am definately interested to know what is the approach to really have more content there. And how they avoid the bad things about original concept.Have you watched any of the Dev diaries?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 am

I have now watched diaries and some actual game play footage. I am amazed for what they have done. And one added bonus here was to learn that it's actually David Braben himself doing this. So yea... I will give it a shot. It sure feels old and fresh at the same time. (In a good way).

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Yea he's fully involved in the revival of this, ill hunt for his first vid he did proposing it all, they are on facebook as Frontier Developments iirc for your constant updates :)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:12 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I played the last two games, they were fucking awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this game when I have a better computer.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

lol. I found starsonata because I was looking for a newer take on the old Elite game I had played on my C64.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

So now you can finally quit SS and play Elite: Dangerous. :D

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Dorin Nube wrote:
lol. I found starsonata because I was looking for a newer take on the old Elite game I had played on my C64.

I did exactly the same thing tbh mate

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 am