Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: STAR SONATA BOT
Level: 1012

Post Elliot Rogers
The media will try to ban video games because of this. Got dang....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/elliot-rodgers-killing-spree-what-happened/2014/05/24/207778ec-e3b2-11e3-810f-764fe508b82d_story.html

Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Comander Caius
Level: 4901

Post Re: Elliot Rogers
Lol, people like this are just so pathetic.
Likewise, if he was such a pussy to not be able to get any kind of GF, why not sell his shitty overpriced BMW for whores? The dude doesn't seem to have any kind of morals anyway.
If so many people would not have died, I would have found this dude funny as hell, the little shit that he is.

The Salty One wrote:
"Hur Hur someone 20X my level in a massive dreadnought... POKE"

Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 am
Profile YIM
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: Elliot Rogers
Idiotic people are going to find any reason they can to put the blame for this situation on anything except for where it belongs:

Large segments of our society view women in a particular way, and because of the subject-object relationship between men and women within those views, a subject expects the object to do what it is meant to do. If the object doesn't do what its meant to do, there's something wrong with the object. If none of the objects do what they're meant to do, then fuck all of those objects and we should just get rid of them.

That explanation makes perfect sense if you think about it as a relationship between you and a toaster. If you put toast in the toaster and it didn't go down or turn on, no matter what you did, you'd be irritated. If every single toaster you ever tried never worked for you, you'd say "Fuck toasters" and be pissed off whenever you saw one. In fact, if you saw other people use toasters and the toasters worked without ANY problem at all for them, you'd be enraged at how unfair life is because toasters don't work for you. And if they don't work for you, no one should be able to enjoy toasters.

I'm not pulling this out of my ass, he rationally explains his reasoning for wanting to remove women from society. He saw society without women as free of sex, where men would be free to just live their lives without being tempted by evil women. This guy is crazy ONLY in the way in which he chose to express his frustration. The Pick Up Artists community called him a faggot, because acknowledging him as anything other than a homosexual man requires you to wonder WHY he did what he did. And when you wonder and follow the rational steps you realize there is something wrong with the way the PUA community thinks about women.

Fox News called him homosexual. If they hadn't, and had actually did some deep analysis of his letter and his reasoning, they'd come to a conclusion that implicated the status quo. His actions are a result of the way women are viewed by a large part of society. Most men are not going to decide that women need to die, but a large majority of those men are going to try to figure out HOW to make women work the way they WANT them to work.

The similarity is subtle:

Quote:
This object isn't working, what do I need to do to make it work.

This person won't do what I want, what do I need to do to make them do what I want.

The emphasis is on the person, usually a man, desiring something. When his desire goes unfulfilled/is rejected the response (I hear about this from my female coworkers all the time) is to denigrate the woman and ask her "Why she's being such a bitch/stuck up/rude/playing hard to get." instead of realizing that THAT particular woman is not interested in fulfilling his desires.

His frustration with women is not something new, nor is it something unusual. Our society has a history of creating individuals, both reviled and revered, who damned the existence of womankind for making their life hell. Oftentimes, they would transfer the responsibility for their actions to the woman, totally offloading any sort of culpability on their part. Its easier to claim and believe a wicked women tempted you than to admit that you have no self control. Just as it is easier to claim evil women are tempting you with their bodies without putting out, instead of realizing that women have the same rights as you do and do not exist solely to fulfill your expectations.

If you don't think in this way normally, its really hard to put yourself in that mindset and understand it, so it may seem confusing. If you do, your reaction might be to immediately deny that you do it, all while totally understanding it. Denying that you do it doesn't change the fact that you do, and if you do you're better off acknowledging it and trying to understand where you learned to think like that.

Wed May 28, 2014 11:58 am