Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

Post Re: NASA validates "impossible" EMdrive
MasterTrader wrote:
Yeah, I'm just going to leave off with this:

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

then i suggest you invest in some new tools.

Tenno wrote:
I would think that a scientist would be able to be polite and, likewise, be able to keep composure on the forums of an online video game, when someone questions your intelligence/RL occupation.

well, speaking for the scientists i have met (mostly lecturers), one the few common traits i have found them to have, is a profound loathing of stupid people and stupid questions.

they wont say anything when you ask a stupid question (or demonstrate that you're an idiot in some other way), and they dont get mean, but you can feel them facepalm internally, you can see the regret in their eyes over their decision to become a lecturer, even though they get 100K+ per year for doing it.

dealing with respectful morons drains the life out of you. it is physically and emotionally taxing in a way that words cannot describe.

the other common trait i have found them to have, is the enjoyment they get when an aforementioned stupid person with a stupid question, is disrespectful enough that they can really "open up" and say what they're really thinking.

you havent seen brutality until you've seen a lecturer tell a disrespectful undergrad exactly where, how and why they are wrong, why they are disrupting everyone else's learning and, and how they should be working at McDonalds rather than wasting everyone's time.

its like watching a MMA champion beat the shit out of an anorexic 20 year old. you'd feel bad if you didnt know who started it.

All in all, please learn to accept people with a diferent state of mind, and be willing to argue with any and all people, no matter how retarded said people must seem to you.

i do, i just dont tolerate disrespect, because i shouldnt have to. nobody should have to.

Poor Ron Paul has done that for years over years, reason why a 'small time' presidential candidate like him managed to garner as much respect.

he's also a doctor, which i think has alot to do with his ability to stay civil despite the absurd bullshit that has been directed towards him by fuckheads in the media.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 am
Main: Tenno
Level: 0

Master Trader might have been slightly overbearing at times, but that does not warrant you to turn to being a dick. Being smart or very good in a certain field sure as hell does not give you a carte blanche to treat everyone else, who doesn't know as much as you do in the given field, like retards. I am very good at Economics, but I rarely dis every single person I see that doesn't know as much Econ as I do.

It would seem to me like all you're doing on this thread is simply reinforce the idea that you are not worth discussing with, and that it's not worth reading your posts. Beforehand, I actually appreciated your views and what not, despite what everyone else was saying about you... but now that I see you can't stay civil on an online game forum, well... yeah.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: xXAlienXx
Level: 1322

I wonder what would need to be studied in order to recreate one of these EMdrives.
It would be an epic science fair project i'll tell you that. 8)

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 pm
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

Tenno wrote:
Master Trader might have been slightly overbearing at times, but that does not warrant you to turn to being a dick.

it does, but ONLY because of the way he replied.

he has every right to disagree with my opinion.

but when he does it in a dickish way, accusing me of not know what i'm talking about, despite the fact that i DO know exactly what i'm talking about, it gives me every right to act like a dick to him.

Tenno wrote:
Being smart or very good in a certain field sure as hell does not give you a carte blanche to treat everyone else, who doesn't know as much as you do in the given field, like retards.

i absolutely agree, disrespect towards those less intelligent is bad... except when it is in response to disrespect.

hober didnt come right out and say he thinks i'm a fucking idiot, but he implied it several times, and when someone does that i have every right to be an asshole to them.

i'm not a physicicst, and sure, the proponents of the EMdrive cant explain how it works

but the opponents cant explain how its creating the supposed "false readings" either.

neither side has theoretical backing.

and thats extremely important, because they're criticising the proponents for not having a theory to explain how the EMdrive works,

but the critics dont have a theory as to how the test setup could be creating false readings.

"its interfering with something in the experiment to give false readings" is a hypothesis too. it requires evidence, and an explanation, and the opponents have neither.

its extremely hypocritical. thankfully, NASA knows that the critics are being unscientific and hypocritical, and NASA has decided to commission further testing at other facillities.

i think that should speak for itself, NASA considers the EMdrive to be worth testing, they're willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars testing this.

and hober doesnt see that, but he still expects me to sit back and say nothing while he insults me for doing the same fucking thing he's doing?

when neither side has a theoretical framework that can support their hypothesis, the only thing that can support any hypothesis related to the EMdrive are the experimental results and the experimental design.

and BOTH support the notion that the design works.

hence, NASA's willingness to continue spending money on further testing.

i just think they should bite the bullet and test it in space, using the ISS as a test platform.

Tenno wrote:
I am very good at Economics, but I rarely dis every single person I see that doesn't know as much Econ as I do.

and if i rejected something you had said related to economics, and then tried to make fun of you for saying it, you'd rightly tell me to go fuck myself.

the difference between me and hober is, if i was to challenge the professional opinion of someone talking about the field they are an expert in, i wouldnt do it without evidence, and i'd post it as a question, and i sure as hell wouldnt try to make fun of them for saying it.

Tenno wrote:
It would seem to me like all you're doing on this thread is simply reinforce the idea that you are not worth discussing with, and that it's not worth reading your posts. Beforehand, I actually appreciated your views and what not, despite what everyone else was saying about you... but now that I see you can't stay civil on an online game forum, well... yeah.

you're entitled to your opinion, all i ask is that you look at the circumstances. hober's actions are extremely dickish, and he has yet to apologise for them.

Microsoft wrote:
I wonder what would need to be studied in order to recreate one of these EMdrives.
It would be an epic science fair project i'll tell you that. 8)

agreed. i think NASA should make a lightweight version and put it on the next ISS supply rocket. it might cost a few thousand dollars, but i think thats a small price to pay to prove once and for all whether or not the drive works, and its nothing compared to the monthly running costs of the ISS.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:25 am
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Gotta admit, I've never seen being a dick more well defended than this.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 am
Main: Tenno
Level: 0

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
Gotta admit, I've never seen being a dick more well defended than this.

Meh... I personally didn't consider MTrader's replies dickish, but oh well. I guess landswimmer might have a point...

Btw landswimmer:

"i absolutely agree, disrespect towards those less intelligent is bad... except when it is in response to disrespect."

I think you should not misinterpret unknowledgeable people for unintelligent people; there's a difference between intelligent, smart and wise people.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:35 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Wolf TPS
Level: 2569

Someone said something about CERN confirming that they'd detected FTL Neutrinos.

This is not true.

A single experiment observed what appeared to be FTL Neutrinos.

Attempts to repeat that experiment failed to support the observation, and the ultimate conclusion was that the result was likely an error somewhere in the initial experiment.

CERN has neither disproved the existence of FTL neutrinos, nor has it support them either through their experimentation.

About the overall topic, if any one doesn't buy into the EMdrive; natural laws can't be broken, but, like American laws, are typically full of loopholes.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:22 pm