Team: Zephyr
Main: Devil'sEye
Level: 5406

Post Question
Alright, so here's a question.
Whom would you prefer to call a successful dev, the guy who developed Flappy Birds and earned a fortune or SS devs?
Jey, what do you have to say here? Your opinion really matters :P!

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm
Profile YIM
Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Post Re: Question
SS devs
i see no other devs being able to create so much mess and bugs

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Thats apple and oranges :P.

Now keep in mind, this is my personal opinion nothing more.

There are quite a few misunderstanding in the domain. A game developer is a great many things (and very rarely all of them). Programmer, graphic designer, concept designer, content developer, story writer, network administrator (server/client) , project manager (and the various sub separations) and many more.

Flappy birds is more of a marketing and design thing, than programming or anything else really xD. Its something designed and built to cater to the masses by creating a very simple yet infinitely challenging game and competition (ideal for mobile market since its full of empty "gamers")

Star Sonata on the other hand, is a much larger universe than Flappy birds (even the haters among you cannot deny that simple fact !), its not designed for the masses and never was. Its a sandbox game at the core, with a somewhat dynamic universe and lots of player controls over it.

As for me, as a developer I would fit more into the programmer, network administrator and a little bit as project manager than any of the other listed categories.

Now as for the original question, I suppose it would depend on how you define successful. If you go with money / period obtained, then it would depend on how much flappy birds was selling for (or how much they got from the ads) but either way, its very likely that, by that metric, Flappy bird dev was more successful than SS dev.

You can also check at how much people want it, In which case, Flappy bird wins again considering people have paid premium money over ebay and the likes for used phones with Flappy birds installed when the game was removed from the app store, I cannot imagine someone ever buying a pc for the sole reason that it contain SS on the harddrive !

Finally the part you were waiting for, one at which i believe SS win high hand over Flappy bird. Variety and playing duration. Many players (me included altho quite a few beat me on that side), have played Star Sonata for well over 1000+ hours over multiple years. On the other hand, while I do not possess the numbers, I am quite certain that the average hours played / players on Star Sonata is vastly larger than Flappy birds could ever reach xD. This personally is where i see proof of Star Sonata having at least, some kind of success.

There are very few games nowaday that will get more than a few dozen hours of playtime before they get dropped, even in the AAA titles.

It does not mean we are perfect, because we are very very far from it xD. The game is filled with bugs some incredibly annoying, other longstandings and a few goes into both categories! There are balance issues, crashes, lags and all sort of weird things happening. So much so that sometime I end up staring at them and wondering how the hell this ever happened !

At the end of the day, ill pick Star Sonata over Flappy birds any time, both as a game and as a work place. (I could not feel happy working on something so simple as a one button game xD)

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:48 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

In my job the things that make our company the most money are the most boring least technically challenging shit. I wouldn't consider myself successful as a techie if that's all I had to do although my boss probably would but he's a noob :)

So yeh it's personal opinion

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

flappy bird didnt have an entrenched playerbase full of high level players who care only about their own prosperity, at the expense of the game's success.

to be fair, it is a failure of leadership to listen to those self-serving short sighted players...

but to be even fairer, pretty much every government on earth has the exact same problem, pandering to the wealthy at the expense of everyone who isnt wealthy.

colonies should have been rebalanced years ago, but they werent, and they wont ever be.

the flappy bird developers just got lucky, and the SS developers were incredibly unlucky.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: Devil'sEye
Level: 5406

Thanks all, and u especially Jey. Just couldn't log on to give a reply.
And yeah clearly I would go with SS devs aswell. Just wanted to know few guys opinion on this matter ;)

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:46 pm
Profile YIM