Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Question For Computer Literate Individuals
So I recently got a new PC, and downloaded Skyrim on it. I am however having an issue where occasionally passing through areas without an abundance of light turns the screen almost completely black while traversing that area. I am not losing any frames per second and am not experiencing any performance loss in any way, save for the light just a few meters away from a fire fades to complete black for seemingly no reason? Anyone know why this would happen?

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:44 pm
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

Post Re: Question For Computer Literate Individuals
I found that carrying a torch in the game helps greatly. Or if you want to do it the cheaters way, turn up the brightness ingame.

And by that I mean the game is meant to be that dark. Welcome to the shadows.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

ShawnMcCall wrote:
So I recently got a new PC, and downloaded Skyrim on it. I am however having an issue where occasionally passing through areas without an abundance of light turns the screen almost completely black while traversing that area. I am not losing any frames per second and am not experiencing any performance loss in any way, save for the light just a few meters away from a fire fades to complete black for seemingly no reason? Anyone know why this would happen?

I believe this is how it's supposed to work lol. Turn up the ingame brightness :P.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:37 pm

No, because not even the words from the UI show up, I can bard make out (a) Open Door, etc... but then if I pause the game everything lights back up how it is supposed to.

Basically outside of well lit areas I am looking at a pitch black screen which is something I have never seen on the game before. For clarification I can be looking a a bonfire 20 feet away, but I step into the shadows and everything, to include the bonfire I am staring directly at fades into black until I reenter a lighted area.

The best way I could explain it would be an absolute lack of ambient light, while the light from the ingame light sources cannot travel out of, or even be seen out of the immediate area. I can stand in the blackness looking at a fire which I cannot see because there is not enough light in the area for me to see the fire if that makes any sense.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:02 pm

ShawnMcCall wrote:
No, because not even the words from the UI show up, I can bard make out (a) Open Door, etc... but then if I pause the game everything lights back up how it is supposed to.

Basically outside of well lit areas I am looking at a pitch black screen which is something I have never seen on the game before. For clarification I can be looking a a bonfire 20 feet away, but I step into the shadows and everything, to include the bonfire I am staring directly at fades into black until I reenter a lighted area.

The best way I could explain it would be an absolute lack of ambient light, while the light from the ingame light sources cannot travel out of, or even be seen out of the immediate area. I can stand in the blackness looking at a fire which I cannot see because there is not enough light in the area for me to see the fire if that makes any sense.

Oh that sounds far more complex. Did you pirate the game? Or is it a legit copy? Either way I would backup your saves and then reinstall.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:06 pm

ELITE wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

Oh that sounds far more complex. Did you pirate the game? Or is it a legit copy? Either way I would backup your saves and then reinstall.

Steam copy, and yeah, I assumed I was going to have to reinstall, but have been avoiding it lol.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:03 am

DO IT ANYWAYSSSSSSSSS

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:16 am

Fresh install didn't help me do anything other than not play Skyrim for an an hour :(

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:14 am
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

I've noticed that some graphics cards (As well as some monitors actually) have a built in auto-brightness feature that usually sucks. Essentially it will lower the brightness in darker areas to give you a "better" feel to the movie/game. Could you see if other games do it? Or is it just Skyrim?

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 am
Profile WWW

Golfman560 wrote:
I've noticed that some graphics cards (As well as some monitors actually) have a built in auto-brightness feature that usually sucks. Essentially it will lower the brightness in darker areas to give you a "better" feel to the movie/game. Could you see if other games do it? Or is it just Skyrim?

Just Skyrim. Arkham City, and Asylum (both very dark games) are running beautifully.

As an aside though; have you ever tried playing Skyrim as a sporadically blind stealth archer? it is slightly difficult.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Update; Fuck you Shadowmere, I forgot how much I hate your bitchass.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

This sounds like dynamic contrast.

It's a setting some fancy displays have to control the brightness of the back light based on how much colour there is on the screen (darker colours, darker back light).

If this happens outside of Skyrim, then that's definitely the case and not some weird Skyrim bug. There should be an option to turn it off somewhere, hopefully, otherwise you'll have to live with it.

Support

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:44 pm