Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

Post Why Sports Do Not Help You at Fighting
Recently, I've been getting a lot of comments that martial arts is not effective in real fight scenarios. There's also this misconception that athletes are tougher and better fighters than ordinary joes or nerds. This is only true for boxers, wrestlers, and to some extent football and hockey players. Here is a list of reasons why non-combat sports such as lacrosse or basketball are useless at preparing you at self-defense.

1) The opponents they face - A good martial artist is capable of taking on people much larger and physically imposing than they are. Athletes typically limit themselves to people their size or smaller, their strength or weaker, etc. Athletes fight by physical superiority alone.

2) Aggression- You may think that sports would make people more aggressive and ferocious, giving them the mindset they need to take on their opponent. Turns out that's not the case. In just about every non-combat sport, hitting someone equates to an immediate foul, and in basketball and lacrosse, tacking someone also results in a foul. Full contact sports such as football allow one to tackle, but only when the ball has been passed. Soccer is a full contact sport, but these players are typically small, weak, and flop to the ground all the time, so their fighting capabilities are even less. These rules discourage aggression, not encourage it.

3) Technique- Swinging a lacrosse stick, dribbling a basketball, or kicking a soccer ball aren't anything like delivering blows and are therefore useless in a fight.

Conclusion: If people are going to say that martial arts is not helpful in a real fight, then a non-combat sport is even less helpful. Sure, rules and restrictions make martial arts matches less representative of realistic fights, but sports has rules too. The purpose of playing football is to get better at football, not better at fighting. Same holds true for the rest.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:09 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Why Sports Do Not Help You at Fighting
You would be so much better received in the community if you tried this:

"Some people I know have argued that sports make you better at fighting. I disagree with them. What do you guys think?"

instead of this:

"Some people I know have argued that sports make you better at fighting. Please read my response to them below."

The first one gets people interested in having a discussion (assuming they find the topic interesting). The second one gets people thinking "cool story bro."

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

anilv wrote:
You would be so much better received in the community if you tried this:

"Some people I know have argued that sports make you better at fighting. I disagree with them. What do you guys think?"

instead of this:

"Some people I know have argued that sports make you better at fighting. Please read my response to them below."

The first one gets people interested in having a discussion (assuming they find the topic interesting). The second one gets people thinking "cool story bro."

Can we just report him for spam and leave it at that?

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:56 pm
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

Anybody who thinks size is the most important factor in a fight, which is a typical misconception that floats among jocks, is a bad fighter. I've taken martial arts and I can tell you that skill is the best factor, followed by speed, then strength, and then weight and height. Speed is essential because it allows you to deliver more blows per minute than your opponent and intercept or evade his attacks more proficiently. Strength is less helpful, but still an important asset. Who doesn't want to pack more punch? Weight, although the standard classification system in boxing or wrestling, is the least useful. Unlike strength and speed, weight has drawbacks. It can also be used against you.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:43 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Can you hear that? It's the sound of no one giving any fucks...

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 am
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Klestiko
Level: 1994

If you both know how to fight, fighting someone who is shorter than you is generally a tougher thing to do. There I put in my 2 cents.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:25 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: P S S Metal
Level: 5363

The title and what you typed don't go together, it should be Why Sports Are Less Helpful Than Martial Arts in Fighting. Anyone else agree with me?

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am
Main: Mofouler
Level: 1296

Because e-breasts are very uncommon

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:53 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Blazing Fire
Level: 3754

plis learn that martial arts and boxing are fighting sports... football, basketball are not... :roll:

Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand.

Rachel Addams

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:16 am
Team: Delta
Main: BabySexyDragon
Level: 639

As far as sports go im pretty sure full contact paintball makes me a better fighter XD hahaha... *sigh* that crap hurts...

Anywho, on a more productive note. Martial Arts at its basis (what you are taught) isnt "too" effective. Yes it can help a lot, but it teaches you attacks to look for and how to counter those attacks... It leaves you vulnerable.
You are basically left to modify and learn on your own, an not everyone knows to do that. Basic martial arts training is "Hes going to attack you like this, an you do this to counter" in real life you dont know whats coming.

If you want to learn a defensive art, look up "Combative Arts". It basically teaches you to hit hard and fast. It also encourages and teaches modifications to a lot of moves.
---

However, i will admit that in "most cases" simply knowing the basis that the instructor teaches you in martial arts will always give you a major upper hand.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:11 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Wish this guy got forum banned already.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:55 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: XxFrostfangxX
Level: 3923

heylo wrote:
Wish this guy got forum banned already.

Nu

hes making forums intertaining! i just love all your mad posts

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:00 am
Team: Traders
Main: Joew121
Level: 4223

Valkyrie300 wrote:
Recently, I've been getting a lot of comments that martial arts is not effective in real fight scenarios. There's also this misconception that athletes are tougher and better fighters than ordinary joes or nerds. This is only true for boxers, wrestlers, and to some extent football and hockey players. Here is a list of reasons why non-combat sports such as lacrosse or basketball are useless at preparing you at self-defense.

1) The opponents they face - A good martial artist is capable of taking on people much larger and physically imposing than they are. Athletes typically limit themselves to people their size or smaller, their strength or weaker, etc. Athletes fight by physical superiority alone.

2) Aggression- You may think that sports would make people more aggressive and ferocious, giving them the mindset they need to take on their opponent. Turns out that's not the case. In just about every non-combat sport, hitting someone equates to an immediate foul, and in basketball and lacrosse, tacking someone also results in a foul. Full contact sports such as football allow one to tackle, but only when the ball has been passed. Soccer is a full contact sport, but these players are typically small, weak, and flop to the ground all the time, so their fighting capabilities are even less. These rules discourage aggression, not encourage it.

3) Technique- Swinging a lacrosse stick, dribbling a basketball, or kicking a soccer ball aren't anything like delivering blows and are therefore useless in a fight.

Conclusion: If people are going to say that martial arts is not helpful in a real fight, then a non-combat sport is even less helpful. Sure, rules and restrictions make martial arts matches less representative of realistic fights, but sports has rules too. The purpose of playing football is to get better at football, not better at fighting. Same holds true for the rest.

Man you have just demonstrated your lack of knowledge in sport as a whole. As Blazing already stated, it depends on the sport you are playing when it comes to fighting. Let's start with what you said about Football.

Full contact sports such as football allow one to tackle, but only when the ball has been passed. Soccer is a full contact sport, but these players are typically small, weak, and flop to the ground all the time, so their fighting capabilities are even less. These rules discourage aggression, not encourage it. Do you even watch Football? There are many bulky players out there. It's true you see them dive all the time, that is because they want to get a penalty or a free kick. This is known as "playing dirty", not being a pack of wimps. Drama queens maybe. Unless your name is Luis Suarez then you are limited to tackling. However, if you watch the women's football you will see a very different game where it is actually entertaining. If you want a rough full contact sport then watch American Football or Rugby.

Martial Arts however, is a sport where you have to physically take down your opponent and keep them down by force, which is something you do not do in ball games like Football. The same goes with Boxing. Referring back to your comment about size, I should mention a lot of lads who do Martial Arts are more slim than the average football player. I have not heard of a lad who plays Football or Basketball to get better at fist fighting because that is just common sense mate.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Cornado
Level: 3235

Valkyrie300 wrote:

You don't know what you are talking about... I have been a kick boxer for 7 years and I've never trained with aggression. Technique, breathing and agility is the key. It's not about getting angry and charging.

I've been in plenty of street fights but if I seen a guy screaming, yelling and charging at me if simply laugh at him.

We are trained to fight in self defence and win. Personally I've never backed down from a fight. If I get knocked down I get back up and keep going. It is only then you really realise that you are not indestructible but showing you put every last bit of strength to get back up is the real fight you need to win.

The way you say that fighting sports don't help in street fights is false. Yes you can play dirty but fighters have been trained how to hurt the attacker and how to defend. When you have been a fighter for more than a year it's drilled into you. So please do not try explain a topic you have no clue about HPA.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 pm