Team: Aidelon
Main: -Death-
Level: 3302

Post Wayward Terran Frontier (WTF)
Figured I would come in here and introduce This game as I think its a great game and imagine a mod that would bring SS style gameplay to it :P

Kickstarter HERE

Wayward Terran Frontier was the original project, and it was meant to be a multiplayer cooperative galaxy exploration RPG where players could command a big space ship as a team and explore the galaxy looking for loot and adventure. The first kickstarter didn’t work out, but the team gained an artist through kickstarter so we decided to rebrand and redesign the project as Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls, a single player space exploration and adventure RPG.

You play as a human captain stranded in an uninhabited star system that happens to be full of conflict and mystery. There was a cancelled terraforming project in this system which has left behind an abandoned yet habitable planet and a lot of infastructure. There are multiple factions which have set up shop in the area for different reasons, for some reason an elite paramilitary organization has been commissioned to protect the abandoned planet, and other groups have moved in to support their efforts and profit off of local resources. Your task, given to you by the AI that woke you up, is to land a ship on the abandoned planet, and it won’t be easy.

The gameplay centers around an upgradeable space station where the player can use a special matter furnace to convert raw materials into new ships and weapons and equipment. The station also offers a risk-free home base for the player to engage in crafting, farming, and ship design activities between adventures.

Outside the station the player will find a large semi-procedural solar system with asteroid belts, space stations, ice fields, pirate raiders, civilians going about their daily lives, and deadly mercenary forces patrolling for people like you. The game is very open in design with a focus on free exploration. There is a huge amount of space to cover and there are interesting things hidden everywhere for the player to find.
Game Engine Specs
The game engine is completely custom, built on .NET and the XNA framework.
Infinite world + hand made content: The world is divided into massive sectors with different biomes that procedurally generate environments. Then our team manually enters those areas and hides loot, enemies, secrets, and story elements as if it were an easter egg hunt.
All objects enterable, alterable, creatable: Game objects use a data structure where meta-data is embedded into the artwork which allows object interiors to be created on the fly. That means we can have hundreds of thousands if not millions of objects in the universe, and while each object you see has the overhead of a sprite, entering the object instantly generates a full interactive, destructive, and meaningful interior complete with moving parts, loot, fancy atmosphere and energy calculations, and sometimes enemies. That also means any ship you find can be captured, reverse engineered, modified, and created by the player.
Insane combat damage model: Ships don’t have hitpoints, they have modules linked to tiles. When you shoot a capacitor it can start fires that will spread across the ship consuming oxygen. When you shoot a reactor it can explode sending pieces of the ship flying off into space. When you shoot the bridge you might hit the captain and end the fight immediately. Ships are considered dead when their crew is dead.
Data driven design: Objects really are sprites, and can be put directly into the game with nothing more than an image editor. We want people to use the engine for creating their own content.
Release Status
The game is being tested by friends and family. We are preparing a version for press that we hope will be done real soon, if you are interested in a review copy you should register on the store and send us a message with the contact us form: contact us

More Info:
Wayward Website
My Twitter
YouTube Channel
wayward-terran-frontier Indiedb

Media:
Check out the media section for more HERE

Last edited by cgcgames4 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:06 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Wayward Terran Frontier (WTF)
Cool, any inspiration from FTL? Also, looks like it's 2D point and click combat? Hard to tell from the trailer.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:41 pm
over 9000!

BTW your kickstarter link is broken.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Link fixed thanks!

Aiming with weapons is mouse flying is wasd or right clicking.

There is a demo you can download from the site to try :P

This has been around in devmode for some time maybe before FTL

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:07 pm
over 9000!

I tried to run the launcher in wine and it didn't work (not saying that's your problem or anything). Might try to boot up my Windows machine at some point to give it a go. I'd be curious to discuss kickstarter strategies with you sometime since I'm going to be trying to publish a card game in a few months.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:13 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4887

Right accross the bay from me AND on the same team? :D

This game looks amazing btw, gonna check it out tommorow.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

cgcgames4 wrote:
The station also offers a risk-free home base for the player to engage in crafting, farming, and ship design activities between adventures.

You mean you wont get your shit capped by OP end game players?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:26 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
cgcgames4 wrote:
The station also offers a risk-free home base for the player to engage in crafting, farming, and ship design activities between adventures.

You mean you wont get your shit capped by OP end game players?

Nope unless its modded in :P

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Been tracking this for 2 years. It's decent basis but it lacks goals/aims. Looking promising atm though :)

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Tech demo is now available on the games main site give it a try :P

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 am

[center]UPDATEcentered.[/center]

I have received multiple questions about how combat works, usually asking for clarification on how damage and attacks are calculated. I think the primary misunderstanding is the system is more complex than most people intuitively expect. The game we pitched in the trailer and in various bullet point lists says walking inside ships and subsystem based damage. However the only way to properly convey gameplay is through video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDhWtLCQaDw
So to clarify things I have recorded a short video in which I hunt down a pirate, disable the ship, board it, and get into a brief fire-fight with the pirate captain.

Also In case you missed it. here is the link to our podcast with Space Game Junkie:

Podcast link

We talked about all sorts of random stuff for hours and even though the game was a bit buggy in its pre-funding state we had enough fun to get carried away until our time ran out.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 am
over 9000!

Backed. Congrats on the great progress you're making; looks like you'll get funded for sure this time.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:38 pm

anilv wrote:
Backed. Congrats on the great progress you're making; looks like you'll get funded for sure this time.

Thanks! ye lets hope :P the game will be uber mod friendly so expect some very epic mods!

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:40 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: XxFrostfangxX
Level: 3923

your the owner of this game?

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:34 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4887

Even though I'm a poor college student saving up for an apartment with my harem, still backing it. :P

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:36 pm