Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: Merica
thecrazygamemaster wrote:
starwyrm wrote:
that trial/error period is going to extend throughout all of human history, Mofouler. we have to realize that every end is a new beginning. there's always going to be another level of life. first, it was seeing space. then, it was getting things to space. then, getting people to space. now, it's getting people to live in space. next, it'll be getting people to live on other worlds. then, in other solar systems. then, eventually, in other galaxies, and the cycle will never end. Through all of that, it will be trial and error, finding out what does and doesn't work.

wow, that was DEEP.

It got a little recursive.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:33 pm
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

Trial and error is just how everything in nature works :) starting from evolution to mankind's development.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

I know, I know, I just wanted to get the idea out there.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:18 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

MasterTrader wrote:
Mofouler87 wrote:
Humans seem to be able to adapt but we have so many things distracting and brainwashing us to not focus on the important things and it seems.

What are those important things?

seeing the universe for what it really is, an opponent. and seeing society for what should be, an alliance, against the universe.

unfortunately society doesnt quite live up to its potential.

like a network of computers, "society" is a network of people, communicating with each other, and just like the internet, ideas are like programs and "malware" exists that can spread from person to person. the most visible and well known examples of this malware generally incorporate the idea that others must die and its ok to kill them. this "malware" creates what is in effect, a kind of "human botnet".

the best example of this kind of "human botnet" is ISIS. in this context islam's role can be understood as a normal non-malicious "program" that the malware is exploiting to gain access. religion can be exploited, patriotism can be exploited, greed can be exploited, and the vast majority of humanity's current problems can be traced back to these exploits being abused.

but there is one pretty good "antivirus" idea, the idea that we're all related somewhere down the line, to harm another human being is to harm a sibling, we're all in this together and rather than fighting over scraps we should be building each other up so that we can survive whatever the universe throws at us.

that is a "thing" that is important.

another way to describe it, is by saying that ideas can be like demons, the anger a person feels when they are told they are wrong does not belong to the person, it belongs to the idea. when someone disputes something you believe, you are not in danger, but the idea is, and they trick us into defending them, "rigging" the contest and making us biased.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:23 am

so what you're saying is, to paraphrase, ideas are useless unless guided by emotion and moderated by logic, and that emotion is useless unless moderated by morals.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 am

starwyrm wrote:
so what you're saying is, to paraphrase, ideas are useless unless guided by emotion and moderated by logic, and that emotion is useless unless moderated by morals.

not quite what i was saying, but what you said was correct too.

ideas are useless if they are not empowered by emotion, but emotion is a double edged sword, because it can disable logic, and warp morals

to get back to my point, people need to realise that belief isnt a choice, its an affliction.

when an islamic fundamentalist blows themselves up in a crowded market its not because they're an asshole, its because they're mentally ill, under the control of a false belief that has been indoctrinated into them.

despite how it may appear, "climate skeptics" arent stupid assholes, they're victims.

computer viruses are a good analogy for how we should view irrationality; when some asshole infects your computer with a virus and steals your credit card details, you dont blame the computer, you blame the prick who infected it.

we need to stop blaming the victims of deceit, and start blaming the decievers.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:38 am

well said, sir!

hey, I wonder what would happen if anyone of importance in any government hierarchy (president, prime minister, minister of _________) saw this thread AND actually understood all of these awesome points?

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 am
Main: xXAlienXx
Level: 1322

starwyrm wrote:
well said, sir!

hey, I wonder what would happen if anyone of importance in any government hierarchy (president, prime minister, minister of _________) saw this thread AND actually understood all of these awesome points?

It takes more then someone of high status to fix problems like these.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:39 pm

i'm just wondering...

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:22 am
Team: Traders
Main: Yehaaaaaaaaaaa
Level: 5455

starwyrm wrote:
well said, sir!

They'd shake their heads and say, "The poor misguided fools. Don't they realise what people are like? Why don't they understand the reality we live in?"

Notwithstanding all the conspiracy theories , if it was that simple it would happen. It's not.
It's healthy for people to question "why is it so?". it's healthy to have a diversity of opinion. However extremism is the true enemy in any form, (whether religious, political, environmental or any other), as it prevents the transference of ideas, debate and the freedom for the individual to make up their own mind on issues with all the facts in front of them.
I have the utmost respect for those that form their own opinions based on facts. I have little time for those that form their opinions solely based on others opinions or on fables and mythology, (whether written or not).

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:02 pm

starwyrm wrote:
well said, sir!

they'd slam their fist on the table and say "that motherfucker is interfering with our plan to provoke russia into war with crippling economic sanctions, DOWNVOTE HIM!"

the people who think warhammer40k is grimdark, should take a look at the real world.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:16 am