Team: Traders
Main: PrincessLuna
Level: 3591

Post The Helical Model (Solar System 2.0)
Well damn. I never thought of the solar system in this way, I always believed that the planets rotated around the sun. However, according to this, the sun is like a comet traveling through the universe, and dragging the planets around it like a vortex.

http://www.djsadhu.com/the-helical-mode ... animation/

Now, there are various groups of people that do not believe in the diagram saying "It's wildly inaccurate, and gives people the wrong idea." I'm not exactly sure if the vortex and planets dragging around the sun is correct, but it's definitely interesting overall.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 am
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

Post Re: The Helical Model (Solar System 2.0)
Oh well... so you didn't know that stars in a galaxy move around the galaxy's center or didn't realize we live in a Milky Way galaxy in a first place? :roll:

That's pretty ignorant of you.

It's just a matter of frame of reference. The sun's movement will be even more complicated if we take into account galaxies movement and so on.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Cool animation but total crank article.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:40 am
Team: Traders
Main: PrincessLuna
Level: 3591

PrincessLuna wrote:
Well damn. I never thought of the solar system in this way, I always believed that the planets rotated around the sun.

Godsteel wrote:
Oh well... so you didn't know that stars in a galaxy move around the galaxy's center or didn't realize we live in a Milky Way galaxy in a first place? :roll:

I can understand what you thought I said, but what I meant was the spiral vortex idea they have going on. The rotating part I said refers to the video about vortex, and why it's not just about rotation. I'm not sure if the video is accurate on this, but I just found it interesting at least, seems to be a bit in depth.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:09 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Video is incorrect, the solar system moves on its side, not vertical lol. Its neat none the less. + the sun doesn't drag the planets along... But its not to say its absolutely incorrect, just from my view it is.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:01 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Markoz wrote:
Video is incorrect, the solar system moves on its side, not vertical lol. Its neat none the less. + the sun doesn't drag the planets along... But its not to say its absolutely incorrect, just from my view it is.

Which way it moves depends entirely on the frame of reference. Do you mean with respect to the galactic center? I have seen a lot of illustrations that depict the solar system moving "on its side" as you say (with galactic center as frame of reference), but I actually don't know if that's correct.

Anyway, the sun definitely doesn't "drag" the planets, which is why I say the article is total crank material. But it's a cool animation, to be sure.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 am