Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Slx
Level: 2336

Post Re: Windows 10
dreadlordnaf wrote:
As for advertising, I think he is referring to all the crap that gets thrown at you in the start menu tiles, like as seen on this screenshot: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... t-menu.png

Ah maybe, those are customisable in the same way as Windows 8's tiles were though. Here's what mine looks like.

The default tiles are pretty useless for most people. The one in your screenshot looks so cluttered and horrible... easy to understand why people would dislike it.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 pm
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

I dont have any adverts either

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

dreadlordnaf wrote:
As for advertising, I think he is referring to all the crap that gets thrown at you in the start menu tiles, like as seen on this screenshot: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... t-menu.png

All of which you can remove via the settings...

Edit; actually my bad. Those aren't even the default, if you want ads you have to turn them on. Because I have never seen any of those and I upgraded to Win10 2 days after launch.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:56 pm
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

ShawnMcCall wrote:
dreadlordnaf wrote:

All of which you can remove via the settings...

Edit; actually my bad. Those aren't even the default, if you want ads you have to turn them on. Because I have never seen any of those and I upgraded to Win10 2 days after launch.

They are default in most cases. Three windows 10 installations I witnessed on my computer and relatives all had these. Yes you can get rid of them though not sure what universal settings you are referring to. It looks like you have to click on each tile individually then remove. So yes you can remove them, just like you can remove the bloat ware that comes on a new computer that you buy from a major retailer. That doesn't mean it's still not annoying or just generally lame that you even have to do this in the first place.

Oh well, at least I'm not using windows 8. I'd even undergo slight to moderate physical torture to not be using that anymore.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:08 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I had no ads when I first installed windows 10. I changed no display settings.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

After months of MS bugging me to upgrade i finally decided to upgrade from W7 to W10.
First thoughts:
- After first time installing, it couldn't get into Windows longer then 5 minutes
- After reinstalling, it had deleted ~80 programs (including: Google Chrome, Firefox, ~15 games (SS was one of the few it kept on it), Adobe flashplayer, Steam, AMD CCC, Java (reinstalled?))
- All configurations just got deleted
- It's faster

Hmm, so far after trying to get it done for 2 hours and looking around for 20 minutes I wish I didn't do it.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:42 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Dam.. Guess I'll stick with 8.1

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:51 am

Update!
After trying to open up SS, I found that the beta client was deleted and DirectX is also gone...

Time for Linux?

Update 2:
I want to open my E-mails (hotmail). Problem! Forgot password... Have it saved in an Excel file.
MS office also got deleted, I can install office 365, but need to log in to my MS account to download it.

Time for MS support to solve it. Problem! Need to log in to your MS account to get to support...

This will take some time.

Update 3:
Installing MS office, PC crashed. Re-install won't work, install is already running. getting help from MS page. Says I need to use task manager to end it (why was it running in the first place after the restart? And why wasn't it showing it?). In the end i had to end the program 5 times before it actually ended it...

Waiting for the next crash now..

Microsoft, you are the best!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:32 am
Main: iamswingarm
Level: 5447

There's already an upgrade to the first release of Windows 10. I have not played SS on it so I don't know how it fairs. As for the security issues several companies have released software to deal with it including the makers of Spybot.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

I updated to W10 as soon as I was able because Windows 8 was too much app related. So far I've been able to play SS without many issues, besides randomly not wanting to switch windows and crash, leading to a random update which takes 10-15 minutes. Other than that, and it's incredible advice to fix Microsoft office, I can play/record/teamspeak/chrome without crashes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Danger wrote:
I updated to W10 as soon as I was able because Windows 8 was too much app related. So far I've been able to play SS without many issues, besides randomly not wanting to switch windows and crash, leading to a random update which takes 10-15 minutes. Other than that, and it's incredible advice to fix Microsoft office, I can play/record/teamspeak/chrome without crashes.

What, no crashes? How is that even possible!
First thing it did 20 times in a row when it installed W10 was crashing.
Now it's running a lot better tbh.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

I was literally just in the middle of writing a post to this thread saying that I've been running windows 10 fine with no probs since my original post, and then my computer randomly restarted with no warning....

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:59 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

dreadlordnaf wrote:
I was literally just in the middle of writing a post to this thread saying that I've been running windows 10 fine with no probs since my original post, and then my computer randomly restarted with no warning....

It knows you're talking about it.

Support

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Blue Dwarf wrote:
dreadlordnaf wrote:

It knows you're talking about it.

Same, back to W7 now.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:01 am