Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Post Windows 10
Apparently the upgrade to it is free from Windows 8 or 7 (I think).

Some of the reviews out there make it seem really good, way better than Win 8, but also seem to hint privacy is even worse. Apparently it collects way more user data than previous iterations?

Anyone tried it yet (especially SS on it)? Pros, cons, general thoughts?

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:26 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Windows 10
dreadlordnaf wrote:

Some of the reviews out there make it seem really good, way better than Win 8, but also seem to hint privacy is even worse. Apparently it collects way more user data than previous iterations?

Using it, and I like it a lot you can turn off the data collection shit for the most part.

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:04 pm
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

ShawnMcCall wrote:
you can turn off the data collection shit for the most part.

Like that'll stop them.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:47 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

dreadlordnaf wrote:

Ryan installed Windows 10 and reported no problems in our meeting about it.

ShawnMcCall wrote:
dreadlordnaf wrote:

Using it, and I like it a lot you can turn off the data collection shit for the most part.

Some of it, a lot of it you can't change, which is ridiculous. Such as Windows Updates (Windows Updates was actually used as a way to infect computers in... Korea or some country like that, lol).

Support

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Teamie of mine keeps crashing his SS every minute or so eversince he installed windows 10

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:20 am
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

I have no problems so far with SS on Windows 10.

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:36 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

heylo wrote:
Teamie of mine keeps crashing his SS every minute or so eversince he installed windows 10

Isn't that normal with SS? Or did I miss something?
I have heard from around that things are a bit faster (smooth loading/playing etc). But I don't know it myself. I plan to wait a week or so till I upgrade mine, already have it downloaded.

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:22 am

Hmm ok thanks all for the info. I think ill leave my Windows 7 computer as is then since its pretty close already to the ideal OS for me, which is basically a faster and more stable version of windows 95. But ill switch my windows 8 laptop over though since I passionately and violently hate windows 8.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 pm
Main: kwilson
Level: 5328

The biggest issue I have encountered with the upgrade to Windows 10 is making sure the video driver is the most recent/compatible with Windows 10.

Dollars to Doughnuts the crashing issue is video card related, not Windows 10.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Issues I find personally wrong with Windows 10:

- Advertisement in the start menu
- Unable to stop data being sold by MS
- Prevents non-authorized software/hardware to run (pirated, outdated, could see this as a good thing i dunno)
- Authorities like the police have the right to gain access to your data on your drives, without your permission over the internet (images, music, video, browsing history, wireless network passwords, much more...)
- Purposely made awkward to force you to attach a email address to your computer.
- Unable to mod anything from the cloud services (MS Store).
- Microphone is constantly set to record state, could be used to record your voice/environment without you knowing.
- Windows will only run with hardware that is authorized.

To be honest its a big data mining machine that will happy sell your data and not give a shit what happens to you.

I know some of these issues can be resolved with settings as such but the unable to stop Microsoft selling your data and backdoor breaks the deal for me. Sooner or later someone will find it and break it open.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:40 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Markoz wrote:

are you serious

ditto

- Prevents non-authorized software/hardware to run (pirated, outdated, could see this as a good thing i dunno)
- Authorities like the police have the right to gain access to your data on your drives, without your permission over the internet (images, music, video, browsing history, wireless network passwords, much more...)
built-in backdoor or something?

- Purposely made awkward to force you to attach a email address to your computer.
- Microphone is constantly set to record state, could be used to record your voice/environment without you knowing.
WTF

To be honest its a big data mining machine that will happy sell your data and not give a shit what happens to you.

I know some of these issues can be resolved with settings as such but the unable to stop Microsoft selling your data and backdoor breaks the deal for me. Sooner or later someone will find it and break it open.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

anilv wrote:
Markoz wrote:

are you serious

ditto

built-in backdoor or something?

WTF

Windows 10: Making you the product.

Support

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:37 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

soviet russia hurr hurr

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 pm
Main: Slx
Level: 2336

Markoz wrote:

A lot of those are just rumors really. The stuff about pirated software one is misreported, since those updated lines to the policy are in Windows Services (so, Xbox and stuff) and not the Windows 10 EULA - so do not apply to most things. The unauthorized hardware one is just not true. The microphone one is also not true (Or is defaulted to off, since my mic lights up in it's record state).
Same with a lot of reports of Microsoft's telemetry data. I saw one report on Ars Technica which claimed it showing the Fiddler trace, but they were just plain wrong - it was just a QoS packet from messenger.

I've heard a lot mention the adverts in the Start Bar, but I don't seem to have them, and I didn't in Windows 8 either, so maybe I disabled them long ago and forgot.

The OS isn't that bad really... It's a big improvement on Windows 8, and I think of it as the upgrade that should've followed 7. There's a few driver issues with some things atm (which is probably why only some people are running into issues with SS), but that's always happens this early. At least it's not as bad as the swap to Vista.
It might be worth waiting a couple of months if you've reserved your free upgrade just to see what happens and wait for driver issues to be sorted.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:04 am

As for advertising, I think he is referring to all the crap that gets thrown at you in the start menu tiles, like as seen on this screenshot: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... t-menu.png

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm