Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

Post Educate yourselves
Because Im super fucking bored waiting for reset, and because SO many of you out there (and in the whole world, I was extremely ignorant to all of this before I took a simple class in college) are ignorant about this issue, Im going to teach you all the basics of gender. Its really fucking simple, and basically no one knows them.

First and foremost, Gender and Sex are not the same thing in any way.

Your sex is commonly known as what you are biologically. This is what most people think is gender, but it is not. The two most common choices for being asked what your sex is are 'male' and 'female.'

Your gender is what you identify as. YOU decide your gender. No one else has any say in the matter. The most common choices for gender are 'boy' or 'girl' or 'other'.

The term and concept of Woman is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT. This means that 'woman' has no place in biology. Being a woman is not determined by what biology you have, but rather how you identify. In this way, if a person wants to change from woman to man to woman to man to woman to man, you have no say in the matter and they may do so as many times as they feel they need to do so -- although this is not normally the case.

I'd like to leave you off on a social responsibility note. The current Transgender non-conforming suicide attempt rate is ~42% ( http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/tra ... r-suicide/ ).

The normal US suicide rate is ~ .013% ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm ), with an attempt rate of 4.6% ( http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/w ... -Final.pdf )

This means that transgender people are a little less than 10x more likely to try to kill themselves.

This isn't simply because they're transgender; this is because of the general ignorance in the population that causes transgender individuals to be ostracized, made fun of, and bullied.

Ignorance is a choice.

Last edited by jack the ripper on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Educate yourselves
jack the ripper wrote:
Ignorance is a choice.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:53 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

jack the ripper wrote:

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:
Your sex is commonly known as what you are biologically. This is what most people think is gender, but it is not. The two most common choices for being asked what your sex is are 'male' and 'female.'

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:
The term and concept of Woman is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT. This means that 'woman' has no place in biology. Being a woman is not determined by what biology you have, but rather how you identify. In this way, if a person wants to change from woman to man to woman to man to woman to man, you have no say in the matter and they may do so as many times as they feel they need to do so -- although this is not normally the case.

Nope, grab a dictionary.
OED defines 'woman' as 'adult female', the definition of 'female' specifically mentions the ability to bear offspring or produce eggs. The definition also uses the word "sex" instead of "gender".

However, tell me you want me to call you Susan instead of Bob, sure. Just don't expect me to stop calling you Bob straight away because I've been doing it all my life up until then.

TL;DR: The trans community need to come up with alternatives for "woman" and "man"/"female" and "male" to not have biological definitions.

Support

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

/signed

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Blue Dwarf wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:

Nope, grab a dictionary.
OED defines 'woman' as 'adult female', the definition of 'female' specifically mentions the ability to bear offspring or produce eggs. The definition also uses the word "sex" instead of "gender".

However, tell me you want me to call you Susan instead of Bob, sure. Just don't expect me to stop calling you Bob straight away because I've been doing it all my life up until then.

TL;DR: The trans community need to come up with alternatives for "woman" and "man"/"female" and "male" to not have biological definitions.

What about "women" that are unable to bear offspring because they can't produce eggs? If I do what you did, which is take a definition literally, then that excludes a very significant minority of "women" who do not have the ability to.

What about "Males" with functioning ovaries and fallopian tubes? Genetics isn't clear cut, black and white.

The problem with coming up with a new alternative is that it only creates the problem as it was in the first place: The stigma of needing to be something society says you're not. I'm willing to bet my life that the trans community would not care if they were called a Transman or Transwoman if the STIGMA of being that wasn't so negative. Because of the way our society treats people based on labels, the label has importance. So, my point is that the onus is on the general public to stop abusing these people for being trans. And just start making actively honest efforts to be cordial to people.

Unless your religious leaders tell you not to. In that case, go ahead and be holier than thou.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

wrong'uns

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

Blue Dwarf wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:

Sure.

jack the ripper wrote:

Nope, grab a dictionary.

This may be true, but in the field of gender studies, a woman is not an adult female. Perhaps the dictionaries haven't caught up yet.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:37 am
Content Dev

MasterTrader wrote:

What about "women" that are unable to bear offspring because they can't produce eggs? If I do what you did, which is take a definition literally, then that excludes a very significant minority of "women" who do not have the ability to.

What about "Males" with functioning ovaries and fallopian tubes? Genetics isn't clear cut, black and white.

I hadn't thought of this, but here's the full definition on Google (which is the same as OED iirc):
Quote:
adjective
of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes.

Which actually covers this issue, because it's referring to the sex that has the ability, not the individual.

MasterTrader wrote:
The problem with coming up with a new alternative is that it only creates the problem as it was in the first place: The stigma of needing to be something society says you're not. I'm willing to bet my life that the trans community would not care if they were called a Transman or Transwoman if the STIGMA of being that wasn't so negative. Because of the way our society treats people based on labels, the label has importance. So, my point is that the onus is on the general public to stop abusing these people for being trans.

An alternative could be to remove the biology parts of definitions, however this could cause quite the headache for everyone else who use the words with their literal meanings (particularly for example, researchers).

This isn't a point I raise often (in fact, this is the first time I have). I generally go out of my own way to avoid confusion in these situations (as rare as they are for me) and avoid these words or specifically state whether I mean the biological or psychological.

Support

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:41 am
Content Dev

jack the ripper wrote:
This may be true, but in the field of gender studies, a woman is not an adult female. Perhaps the dictionaries haven't caught up yet.

Possibly, as getting new words into the dictionary can be quite a lengthy and annoying process (afaik). But until such time it just stands for potential confusion and clerical errors.

Support

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:43 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2414

Blue Dwarf wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:

Possibly, as getting new words into the dictionary can be quite a lengthy and annoying process (afaik). But until such time it just stands for potential confusion and clerical errors.

As I understand it, this is the case. Man/men and woman/women would be what the LGBT community and others define as a gender. If you look up gender in the OED, you will also find:

Quote:
1. The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

2. The members of one or other sex.

It seems to me that OED appears to be a little behind and conflicted as to meaning of sex and gender. Unfortunately I can't say that it's very much up to standard in this regard and the words' more "colloquial" meanings should be taken into consideration.

Typically when I choose to describe gender vs sex, I put forward this handy diagram: The Genderbread Person.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
The Genderbread is wrong on the Biological Sex portion. There's at maximum 5 different versions of that in humans. This is not something that can really be changed with modern technology. Sure, there's operations, but those are to "correct" a dual-sex individual at birth or for transition from one side of binary to the other. Human beings just don't operate correctly without binary sex (for the most part, obviously there are exceptions to every rule). My point is, "5 (of infinite) possible plot combinations" is wrong for that section.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:33 am
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

dear lord how did I miss this sweet sweet delicious thread?

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:12 am