Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Post Re: This is how I have to play....
Species 8472 wrote:
After 7 years of getting progressively more anti-potato, SS has forced me to prepare for a non-potato machine.

Coming soon(tm).

There is ways to make a potato a super potato:

Lower resolution 1024x768 or even to 640x480.

Use a light GNU/Linux OS etc.. (But again SS doesn't support Linux natively (SS isn't a Linux game, support OpenGL! dam u!!!))

Issue also is SS doesn't support 1024x768 or lower resolution cause some of the GUI dialog's are just simply too big, would need to modify them or just move the buttons that are out of the screen to somewhere else.

Full screen mode will also reduce lag.

You could also go through the Star Sonata 2's texture folder and reduce and compress the textures to smaller dimensions (Fireworks batch process or other software).

Remove/disable all bloat software that runs in the background like socializing software, virus scanners, etc..

Disable background services which are located in Window's case: Component Services window (Only disable what you know about).

Change windows theme to performance mode via the System Properties window under the advance tag.

Aim is to reduce RAM/Processor usage so you can use those resources towards w/e software your attempting to run optimally.

Currently I'm a big advocate of Solid State Drives as a hardware upgrade, cause essentially its like having "low tier RAM" as your primary storage device.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:24 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Markoz wrote:
Remove/disable all bloat software that runs in the background like socializing software, virus scanners, etc..

The 10-year Star Sonata con: hiking performance requirements so you eventually disable your virus scanner to play.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:23 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

anilv wrote:
Markoz wrote:

The 10-year Star Sonata con: hiking performance requirements so you eventually disable your virus scanner to play.

That explains everything

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: iArcea
Level: 13267

Markoz: A lot of that has been done, bar disabling AV software...

That's why it's taken 7 years, the game has got progressively more and more hungry, it's not even pretty to play with HAVING to do all this shit just to function.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:47 am
Team: Traders
Main: Mow
Level: 9760

Honestly, almost 80% of lag issues are not related to the PC. Star Sonata 2 has always had performance issues (which have improved slightly since launch). It seems whenever there is a patch of any kind, the game starts to become laggy. There are times when SS runs at an amazing 60FPS on Very High for me, and other times when I am forced to play on Low settings to get above 30.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:06 am

anilv wrote:
Markoz wrote:

During my time being in a call centre you wont believe how many clients have Norton + another 2+ virus scanners on top all working at the same time.

If you manage to get through to me I just remote desktop and sort it, done lol (I don't work there anymore thank god).

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

I didn't go through this entire thread, but did you even try to run the Beta Client and see how that improves your gameplay? If anything, just send Jey123456 a private message and let him help you out.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 am
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

Star Sonata is a game released only for Windows, yet admins want it to be playable on Linux and OS X. Yet they implemented it in DirectX technology which is not compatible with either.
Where's logic in that?

I've never seen any other game dropping graphics to the '80s level just to maintain fps and I honestly believe I will never see one besides SS.
I also don't believe this is matter of having people, there are a lot of small indie groups producing good quality games on multiple platforms. The difference is, they've got passion and plan for a game which I can't see in Star Sonata.
Namely, I can't see JeffL to have any plan for how Star Sonata should look like in future and how it should be implemented and that's the reason for all this mess imo.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

and they probably have a lot of kickstarter funds to throw on bearded opengl programmers 8)

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

Well.
Maybe if u have little funds, you should plan and do stuff wisely.
Atm, I'm seeing Jey playing mole mash with bugs poping out on different machines and OSes.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:50 am
Main: flo02
Level: 2631

ss has the efficiency of a hummer engine, your desktop might be able to run recent games with 50-60fps yet starsonata will be wutt wutt in da butt fps drops from 60 to 5 in big ass laser beam battles and projectile warfare etc.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:49 am

Godsteel wrote:
Star Sonata is a game released only for Windows, yet admins want it to be playable on Linux and OS X. Yet they implemented it in DirectX technology which is not compatible with either.
Where's logic in that?

Well in 2014 DirectX has been announced to have a Open Source version coming out so if SS waits like 5+~ years it should be by then for GNU/Linux (or possibly DirectX will be dead by then if something new comes along)..

+ I found this while looking for bugs in the website:

Reducing Lag: http://support.starsonata.com/knowledgebase.php?article=5

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:25 am