Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Phantom
Level: 4762

Post Re: PC Build
Pretty good matches I think. Have a think about getting a EVGA 750w G2 for an extra $10 or so. One of the best on the market and gives you some wiggle room in the future for Crossfire or Overclocking.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:37 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

zhuang281 wrote:
Pretty good matches I think. Have a think about getting a EVGA 750w G2 for an extra $10 or so. One of the best on the market and gives you some wiggle room in the future for Crossfire or Overclocking.

Lol literally just had this conversation on the webchat with him, and he did make that move. :P

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

zhuang281 wrote:

Done, changed it to the 750w. Actually think it was cheaper for some reason. Also im wondering whether i should use the intel i5 or this amd fx 8320 cpu? I cant find a legit comparison on both anywhere. What do you guys think?

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 am

redalert150 wrote:
zhuang281 wrote:

Done, changed it to the 750w. Actually think it was cheaper for some reason. Also im wondering whether i should use the intel i5 or this amd fx 8320 cpu? I cant find a legit comparison on both anywhere. What do you guys think?

I can't really speak to the Intel vs. AMD argument as I don't use Intel. I do know that the consensus opinion is that AMD = more power for each dollar you spend, and is also more inviting to overclocking. While Intel is more of a brand name "spend more, get more" type of product.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

redalert150 wrote:
zhuang281 wrote:

I have been using the AMD for 2 years now and I have no complaints whatsoever. Tempatures are fine (most common complaint with intel vs amd is that amd gets hotter). I use an Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as CPU cooler. Hope that helps :)

I'll actually link my build here since it's within your budget: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LMP7f7

Do note that the motherboard I use does not allow crossfire and if you do plan on crossfiring you will indeed need a more powerful powersupply

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

heylo wrote:

I have been using the AMD for 2 years now and I have no complaints whatsoever. Tempatures are fine (most common complaint with intel vs amd is that amd gets hotter). I use an Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as CPU cooler. Hope that helps :)

I'll actually link my build here since it's within your budget: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LMP7f7

Do note that the motherboard I use does not allow crossfire and if you do plan on crossfiring you will indeed need a more powerful powersupply

That build is actually lower then my budget, which is great. Do you have problem running any games? Or mcing 8+ on SS?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 pm
Contributor

I've MCed 8 before but I rarely do. I can run most stuff on high-ultra graphics at 60+ fps but I havent played the ultra high end new games like crysis and whatever battlefield and cod we're currently at. I imagine I should be able to run them on medium at the very least.

Not sure howmuch of an idicator LoL is but I've played at around 140 FPS on that game with everything maxed out

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:08 pm

redalert150 wrote:
heylo wrote:

That build is actually lower then my budget, which is great. Do you have problem running any games? Or mcing 8+ on SS?

All new games should be running on medium-high with no issues. Just a warning though, the Corsair CX is a tier 3 PSU. I.e. barely acceptable for modern expensive computers built for gaming.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:37 am
Contributor

zhuang281 wrote:
redalert150 wrote:
heylo wrote:

All new games should be running on medium-high with no issues. Just a warning though, the Corsair CX is a tier 3 PSU. I.e. barely acceptable for modern expensive computers built for gaming.

What does that mean exactly? My computer only uses about 365W of power so I figured 500 would be pretty safe. Does tier 3 mean its crappy in some way? :?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:56 am

heylo wrote:
What does that mean exactly? My computer only uses about 365W of power so I figured 500 would be pretty safe. Does tier 3 mean its crappy in some way? :?

Lower tier ones have poorer voltage regulation, meaning if its meant to be supplying say 12V, it will fluctuate to either side. This damages components it is supplying over the long term. Lower tier ones have poorer responses to temperature. For e.g. will only deliver its specified wattage at a certain ambient temp (some of the shit ones is like 2-30 degrees celcius. It will lower if it becomes hotter).

Few other things like lower quality components in general, using less power "delivery" rails than it should be at a certain time. In addition, the rails are carrying less voltage than they should be.

Anyway. TLDR: Low quality PSU gives you low quality power.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:03 am

zhuang281 wrote:
heylo wrote:

Lower tier ones have poorer voltage regulation, meaning if its meant to be supplying say 12V, it will fluctuate to either side. This damages components it is supplying over the long term. Lower tier ones have poorer responses to temperature. For e.g. will only deliver its specified wattage at a certain ambient temp (some of the shit ones is like 2-30 degrees celcius. It will lower if it becomes hotter).

Few other things like lower quality components in general, using less power "delivery" rails than it should be at a certain time. In addition, the rails are carrying less voltage than they should be.

Anyway. TLDR: Low quality PSU gives you low quality power.

I had no idea PSUs mattered beyond power supplied. DP has changed my life!

Joke intended

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Gold+ PSU or you are not pcmasterrace

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

redalert150 wrote:
I've finally decided to build my own desktop. Except I have no idea where to start. Everyone keeps telling me how easy it is but I don't get it lol.

I'm mostly going to use it for gaming, video recording and streaming. I'm looking at a $800 or so budget. Anyone have some builds they like to share or websites?

When you say build, do you mean actually order all the parts individually, then assembles and screw them together yourself?

Or do you mean order from a site that allows you to customize every option?

Having built PCs before from the ground up with all the pieces laying unassembled on the floor, there is actually little benefit to doing this anymore. It's not any cheaper and likely its more expensive due to individual shipping costs for all the components. It can be very frustrating if you have never done it before. You can spend a day putting everything together and still not even get your system to turn on, then troubleshoot it for hours on end only to realize that the motherboard power connector is bad. And you can actually break things pretty easy. I've accidentally stepped on RAM sticks before splitting them into two, cut myself on poorly designed metal cases, and that rule you were taught in grade school, to ground yourself or whatever so you dont shock the computer,, there is some truth to that. I touched a hard drive once when I had a ton of static electricity built up and it gave me quite a shock and then died.

Highly recommend you just use one of the sites others have mentioned to customize your own, and have someone else deal with putting it altogether. There are infinite combinations of PC setups so don't overthink it. Choose the fastest computer setup you can that is within the 600 to 650 dollar range, then add on the best graphic card you can to that system that costs around 150 to 200 dollars, which will put you at your 800 dollar range.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:30 pm
Main: kwilson
Level: 5328

dreadlordnaf wrote:
I touched a hard drive once when I had a ton of static electricity built up and it gave me quite a shock and then died.

Lies. You didn't die.

#haunts from the grave

Last edited by kwilson on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:00 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

No, Lemon did not die. Because Lemon never touched the hard drive in the first place :P

Botching the quote, I see, wilson.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next