Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Post Star Citizen
Anyone actually in the alpha/beta for this and tried it out?

Seems to be a crap ton of hype around this game as the ultimate space trading/combat sandbox game. Some of the videos are indeed impressive (not just graphics but game play concepts they talk about), but of course I've ridden the hype-train before only to get off at the disappointment-central train stop when the game actually comes out.

Thoughts on the game?

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:25 am
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

Post Re: Star Citizen
I was an early backer of the project and was given some ship + lifetime insurance on it with all access to Alpha / Beta testing.

It's pretty sweet I've got to say.

I am a huge fan of Chris Roberts and the games he has created and when I saw his desire to create what he originally wanted Freelancer to be, I jumped straight onto it.
However, the game is fucking ambitious and keeps getting crazier, there is now an FPS module to the game which I have yet to try but was apprehensive about upon hearing.

For now, the only reason to buy into it would be if you wanted to test out the Beta and get an early start on the game when it comes out, I don't think it's worth doing to be honest because you'll need a damned powerful rig to get the full experience and without that you'll be disappointed the game is also quite bare bones and you wouldn't want to burn yourself out before it is even released.

My advice would be to save your money until release and purchase it then, the game really doesn't need any additional funding (They've stated this themselves) and it's better to see what really happens and develops than to buy into something because you've heard good things about the development stages, plus you'll be able to see the finished required system specs.

I am a devoted fan of his and will continue to support him if this crashes and burns, but I would never recommend anyone else to do the same unless you shared that passion.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:19 am

Interesting. I wasn't thinking of getting in the beta, just curious how it was coming along. Sounds promising.

Is it going to be more like EVE where you are mainly in your ships, or with the FPS module, will you be able to actually get out and walk around and explore all the planets, etc?

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Probably be able to choose to stay in your ship the whole time or optionally get out of the seat and move around. The bigger ships (bombers and up) have very nicely designed crew compartments. You need to be able to board these ships from the station as anything more than a heavy fighter is multi-crewed.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:49 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Evillous
Level: 4846

I have also donated towards this game. Unfortunately I'm only running on minimum performance requirements at the moment so I can move about and get into the cockpit of my ship, attempt to take off and then it crashes for me (yay cheap computers) certainly do have high hopes for this game and i do hope it gets released.

CJ

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Actually I was doing some more research and found this FAQ on the game:

"Is Star Citizen a MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequ ... _Questions

I actually thought it was an MMO. Can anyone explain what it is in terms of multiplayer?

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:32 am
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

dreadlordnaf wrote:
Actually I was doing some more research and found this FAQ on the game:

"Is Star Citizen a MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequ ... _Questions

I actually thought it was an MMO. Can anyone explain what it is in terms of multiplayer?

As I understand, it will be instanced mmo. Imagine SS with 10-100x as big playerbase as it has now, each galaxy is instanced and can hold only 10 players.
You can only see players in your instance and if you wanted to play with someone else you would have to form a squad with that person to make sure you move to the same instance of galaxy on warp.

Plus, theres single player campaign and private servers on top of that.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Interesting. So like Guild Wars type MMO?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 am
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

Yeah, kinda' like a cross between Elite and Guild wars in terms of player interaction.

The whole idea is that you play the singleplayer campaign Squadron 42 and then go into the multiplayer component.
If you've seen anything about No Man's sky, it's pretty much the same, but with a greater focus on multi-crewed ships and factions / corporations.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:20 pm