Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
Main: Hyper Psychic Assailant
Level: 2395

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 581
Location: Middle of Nowhere (South Pacific islands)
Post Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
As an individual who studies martial arts and recently finished reading a Sports manual, I feel the need to address a common issue that never seemed to be forgotten. Simply put, some disciplines supposedly meant for self defense are inapplicable in an open world encounter. Here is a couple martial arts whose usefulness is questionable.

5) Karate - Generally its too focused on striking and blocking and not much else.

4) Krav Maga - Does not teach you enough for the time or cost. Most of the techniques taught here like groin shots can be thought up by untrained individuals via common sense.

3) Ninjutsu - Techniques are highly unrealistic and easily countered by anyone who knows what he's doing.

2) Taekwondo - Punching and grappling are almost always more practical than kicking in a real fight, and the fighting stances taught by this discipline are awkward.

1) Aikido - I can't recall a time when their overly flashy moves worked against a non-compliant opponent. Its core philosophy to avoid head on confrontations already arouses questions about its effectiveness.

There are also lesser known styles that aren't mentioned here. They are left out because well, if its not popular what does that say about its effectiveness? Laugh everytime someone mentions Tai Chi as self defense prowess.


Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile
Main: The Shaft of Punishment
Level: 0

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:48 pm
Posts: 34
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
nothing beats 20 gauge at close range


Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Team: Eminence Front
Rank: Councilor
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6293

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 pm
Posts: 1945
Location: Finland
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Most martial arts train mind more than the body.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:25 am
Profile
over 9000!
User avatar
Team: Traders
Rank: Director
Main: enkelin
Level: 5503

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 10909
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Antilzah wrote:
Most martial arts train mind more than the body.


This. Everyone knows the groin is a sensitive location but you need training in order to act instinctively when a threat arises.

_________________
(DefQon1) use a Rhino reconstruotereatarerer
-
(Pasta) I need to figure out how to get rid of this UrQa Suqqa Ukuk
(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Team: Eminence Front
Rank: Councilor
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5027

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 pm
Posts: 326
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
I prefer Rex Kwon Do.

Image

_________________
anilv wrote:
#feelthethrm


Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Profile
Content Dev
User avatar
Team: Star Revolution X
Rank: Operator
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 3872

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 3096
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
I thought Martial Arts was about training your mind to react instantly to threats instead of hesitating like most of us peasants do... while at the same time using exactly as much force as is neccessary in the given situation. At least that's how my friend whose been a practitioner since he was in kindergarten explained it.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:10 pm
Profile
Main: The Shaft of Punishment
Level: 0

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:48 pm
Posts: 34
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Yes and no.

Martial Arts in general are a combination of hand-to-hand combat techniques and a core disciplined philosophy. Nowadays they lean towards the latter, because us peasants are very unlikely to be in a situation to use the hand-to-hand combat part. But military and paramilitary forces still train in various martial arts because it's best to know and never use, then to not know, and have desperate life or death need.

Obviously HPA fails to grasp reality because the Department of Defense, which has decades more experience than HPA's tiny home island country in the south pacific with H2HC, offers courses all across our military and defense universities in H2HC. One specific course is the DoD's Jujutsu class.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Profile
Team: Star Revolution X
Rank: Officer
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2433

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am
Posts: 1929
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
HPA is just dumb, can we all agree on that and ignore him?


Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:45 pm
Profile
Main: Hyper Psychic Assailant
Level: 2395

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 581
Location: Middle of Nowhere (South Pacific islands)
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
ShawnMcCall wrote:
HPA is just dumb, can we all agree on that and ignore him?


Its clear from this post that you know nothing about self defense or fighting. All these disciplines I've listed are either infamous for putting up McDojos or teach elaborate moves that are strictly impractical in a morals off fight.

But keep trash talking behind your computer screen like the scraggly geek you are.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:43 pm
Profile
Team: Star Revolution X
Rank: Officer
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2433

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am
Posts: 1929
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Valkyrie300 wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:
HPA is just dumb, can we all agree on that and ignore him?


Its clear from this post that you know nothing about self defense or fighting. All these disciplines I've listed are either infamous for putting up McDojos or teach elaborate moves that are strictly impractical in a morals off fight.

But keep trash talking behind your computer screen like the scraggly geek you are.



Yep, I definitely didn't do 3 years of mandatory martial arts training in the Marine Corps... Fuck off.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 pm
Profile
Main: Hyper Psychic Assailant
Level: 2395

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 581
Location: Middle of Nowhere (South Pacific islands)
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
ShawnMcCall wrote:
Yep, I definitely didn't do 3 years of mandatory martial arts training in the Marine Corps... Fuck off.


Your stupidity is showing again. If you even served in the marines at all, you will know that they receive very little hand to hand training. Most of their training is shifting away from civilian life, physical activity, field skills, and handling weapons. They do get trained in basic unarmed and knife combat, but a soldier won't be able to step into a ring to spar with the skills he acquired.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 pm
Profile
Team: Adamantiumized Souls
Rank: Officer
Main: Force of Darkness
Level: 3232

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
pontius456 wrote:
nothing beats 20 gauge at close range


Mah nigga :lol: :lol: :lol:


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile
Team: Star Revolution X
Rank: Officer
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2433

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am
Posts: 1929
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Valkyrie300 wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:
Yep, I definitely didn't do 3 years of mandatory martial arts training in the Marine Corps... Fuck off.


Your stupidity is showing again. If you even served in the marines at all, you will know that they receive very little hand to hand training. Most of their training is shifting away from civilian life, physical activity, field skills, and handling weapons. They do get trained in basic unarmed and knife combat, but a soldier won't be able to step into a ring to spar with the skills he acquired.


It's clear you've never served. The Marine Corps actually does train in hand to hand combat, more so that rifles and pistols in fact because rifles and pistols are easy. There is actually required monthly sustainment training on hand to hand. And progressing belt levels requires studies of warrior cultures and martial arts disciplines as well as demonstrating mastery of all prior techniques as well as new ones for that level. Then once you get to Brown and Black belts you are required to receive training in other martial arts forms that again, the military provides... So keep pretending you know shit.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile
Main: Hyper Psychic Assailant
Level: 2395

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 581
Location: Middle of Nowhere (South Pacific islands)
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
ShawnMcCall wrote:

It's clear you've never served. The Marine Corps actually does train in hand to hand combat, more so that rifles and pistols in fact because rifles and pistols are easy. There is actually required monthly sustainment training on hand to hand. And progressing belt levels requires studies of warrior cultures and martial arts disciplines as well as demonstrating mastery of all prior techniques as well as new ones for that level. Then once you get to Brown and Black belts you are required to receive training in other martial arts forms that again, the military provides... So keep pretending you know shit.


Thinks 3 years is extensive training. Ignores the sentence that says marines receive basic hand to hand training.

I know you. You are another one of these nobodies who likes to talk shit online but has zip to back it up. You're like 95% of the Comic Vine population, who claim to all be boxers or martial arts experts.

And why are you even posting here? Unless you disagree with the first post there's no point in you replying to this topic.

Edit: Handling weapons means more than firing them. It also involves cleaning and maintaining your primary weapon so you don't suffer the same fate as the U.S. army did in Vietnam.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:13 pm
Profile
Team: Star Revolution X
Rank: Officer
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2433

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am
Posts: 1929
Post Re: Top 5 Useless Martial Arts
Valkyrie300 wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

It's clear you've never served. The Marine Corps actually does train in hand to hand combat, more so that rifles and pistols in fact because rifles and pistols are easy. There is actually required monthly sustainment training on hand to hand. And progressing belt levels requires studies of warrior cultures and martial arts disciplines as well as demonstrating mastery of all prior techniques as well as new ones for that level. Then once you get to Brown and Black belts you are required to receive training in other martial arts forms that again, the military provides... So keep pretending you know shit.


Thinks 3 years is extensive training. Ignores the sentence that says marines receive basic hand to hand training.

I know you. You are another one of these nobodies who likes to talk shit online but has zip to back it up. You're like 95% of the Comic Vine population, who claim to all be boxers or martial arts experts.

And why are you even posting here? Unless you disagree with the first post there's no point in you replying to this topic.

Edit: Handling weapons means more than firing them. It also involves cleaning and maintaining your primary weapon so you don't suffer the same fate as the U.S. army did in Vietnam.



Yep, and I can teach you literally everything about handling and basic maintenance of the M9 service pistol, m16a4 and m4 rifles in about 30 minutes. Marksmanship takes a few hours to train correctly. We have around 20 hours a year of required weapons handling training. 20 hours a month is the sustainment requirement for martial arts (as in not enough to advance at all). People actively progressing in martial arts find themselves doing 30-60 hours a week of training.

As for your bullshit claim that most of our training is for civilian reintegration; I went to a 5 day course that was 4-6 hours a day 20 days before I gother out and that's literally all the "training" you get in that area.

The fact is HPS, I don't have to disagree with your point to disagree with you. You specialize in making baseless bullshit claims (which is why none of your first post is based on numbers or expert opinions, but instead your traditionally bullshit opinions). Every time you post you drag your name further into the mud. You are a legend in your own mind, while the rest of the world sees an ego centric child. Maybe rather than just having a large ego you should find a reason to deserve such a large ego.

Oh and where did I call myself a martial arts master? I did the training, but here's the thing; if I ever get in a fight I don't give a shit about physical domination, I will give you two rounds to the chest because that's all the sweat and time an opponent is worth.


Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.