Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Main: voyager vs borg
Level: 1035

And people are going to lose alot once it gets nerfed.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Walker Boh
Level: 2485

As far as client 2 goes I hope you are thinking hard about the GUI design and not just porting over the existing systems exactly from client 1 which will keep all the bad and awkward stuff. The biggest "dialog box" horror that comes to mind deals with slaves as giving trading slaves orders could be much easier and more intuitive (simply adding vertical scrolling instead of horizontal on the orders list would be a good start) and I hope there will be a more convenient interface for ordering fighting slaves around as well and not just a copy of the current dialog boxes. The same ideas go for controlling bases that while there are good things about the current GUI for bases there are also a lot of things that can and should be improved.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:08 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

The port is not using any native window dialog boxes like this version was, its all in game, direct x rendered GUI. However, it is my understanding that most of the functionality will be the same in the beginning, as the guy doing the port is doing just that, a port. Once its done though, our dev team here will start improving things that we put off while waiting for client 2 to come around. I know for sure that I will improve slave orders with things like saving and copy pasting orders, or something to make it quicker, if no one else does it.

Last edited by pip8786 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:12 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Client 2 is going to let you select multiple objects (slaves, drones, bases) and let you give them orders with a right-click like in an RTS game. Want your slave to dock, select him and right-click a base. Want your drones to attack Goz? Select them and right-click Goz. Want your bulk trader slave following you through the DG like a pack mule to scoop some debris? Select him and right-click on the debris. It will be a massive improvement over the current UI.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

i was imagining sheild augged frigates following the DS but shrimps would work as well

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:37 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Shock Commander
Level: 8394

my question is simple what about the constant disconnections that many of your players are experiencing. Building in a new uni will be impossible with all the players that are going to be on and the constant disconnections. most of us wont even be abe to build let alone map for a galaxy. or are we to wait for the new threading and not build or play until things calm down. im sorry but really no only my self but several others have been trying to play since nov of 2007.

http://www.teamunderdawgs.webs.com/

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

Awesome, good to finally hear about a team cap too.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:08 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

no voom if u say we have 150 players on pants then we have room for 50 players there will be no need to boot, as we have 50 avalible spots if u lower that we will put our mains on pants and then we will make Teams like

Pants alts

and put them there,

Another thing jeff Team Score atm Means Crap all...saying if u have more thatn 200 people on your team u get a -points, Who cares as team score is pointless put team score worth something and not just having your team at the top of the list, No-one personaly cares if there team score is 0, bc it doesnt matter

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:10 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2443

Want your drones to attack Goz? Select them and right-click Goz.
Will it be possible to select multiple bases and then make them shoot peeps in teams? :P

Last edited by Grunt on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:13 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Denoan
Level: 2035

can we see branching/looping statements added? ^_^
as well as having one long list, rather than multiple pages? >.>

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

There are not currently any plans to enhance the trading slaves functionality. The dialog box where you enter the orders could change into one long list, though.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

no voom if u say we have 150 players on pants then we have room for 50 players there will be no need to boot, as we have 50 avalible spots if u lower that we will put our mains on pants and then we will make Teams like Pants alts and put them there

There is currently 300+ chars on pants. If we limit teams to 150 chars half the chars on pants will have to go.

trevor54 wrote:
Another thing jeff Team Score atm Means Crap all...saying if u have more thatn 200 people on your team u get a -points, Who cares as team score is pointless put team score worth something and not just having your team at the top of the list, No-one personaly cares if there team score is 0, bc it doesnt matter

Emp runs will be back next uni and only the top 3 teams can build the palace so with too many members you cant run for emp.
Being emp will no longer reset the uni, you will stay emp and get a lot of nice stuff for it.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:59 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: NukeACow
Level: 8120

Post Re: Update 3-13
JeffL wrote:
I want to start dong my weekly updates again since I think it's good for everyone to know what's going on and it also helps to keep me stay goal-oriented. This update is mostly about what I personally have been doing not what the team is doing. I want to encourage every dev to also post weekly updates.

Anyway, I have postponed working on the multithreading and lag reduction for now because we really need a new universe. A new universe will greatly reduce lag and rollbacks anyway, since there is so much less in it and less going on. So for now, we have been getting ready for the new universe and also a test emperor run this weekend. (Note the the test emperor run will be using the totally new and revamped emperor rules. I will let HAL elaborate on those at some point, since he is the one that implemented them.)

I figured out that almost all of the queries that are bogging down the database server are activity log writes. Players are constantly generating log items that get written to the activity log database, which we use sometimes to figure out if people are cheating or to track down bugs. Because it is just these activity log writes that are slowing down the DB, I'm going to get a second DB server and make a new DB on that server for just the activity log. Hopefully this will free up the main DB which is currently the bottleneck and cause of lag in the game.

As this universe is now about 4.5 months old and totally full of crap, we've been having a lot of memory problems on the main server. Running out of memory is causing the game to crash and roll back quite often. It's gotten so bad that trying to do a static save is now creating an out of memory crash, so it is very difficult to do a graceful server restart. I tried to restart it just after the threaded save finished tonight, but I did it a little too early, so got the maximum rollback of 50 minutes. Sorry about that guys. Anyway, the new universe will fix this for the next few months at least, and also we have a bunch of memory optimizations and better saving code coming in the next patch that SAL has made. I plan to do a huge patch sometime next week before the uni reset so we can test all our new code before the great land rush when we have 500 players or so on at once.

I've been monitoring the progress of client 2 and cmpiling it and testing it every so often to make sure it works with our latest code that is shared between client and server. It's quite ugly at the moment, but the functionality is really coming along. A lot of the many dialog boxes and GUI of the current client has been ported over. I can't wait until the port is done and us devs can put some serious time into spiffing it up and adding new features.

Tonight I added a bunch of trading control bots as DG loot that give bonuses to your trading slaves. Also increased the speed of capital ships and added Traveling Field Projectors for capital ships which give constant speed increases to let them get to where they're going but big reductions in energy and shield banks.

We've been talking a lot about some redesign on the way teams work. For a long time, SS has dominated by just a few huge powerful teams, and as the player base grows, these large teams just keep on growing rather than having more teams emerge. We are talking about a lot of game design additions that will encourage middle sized teams and also it is very possible that we will put in a hard cap of 150-200 characters per team or else possibly and account cap of something like 30-40. What this would mean is that any team over the cap would not be able to invite any new players and would have a large minus to their team score.

Despite the bad lag and rollbacks, Star Sonata is continuing to grow. We broke 800 paying users at the beginning of this month. I want to thank everyone for their patience. We have been growing so much faster in the last 6 months than we've ever grown before, we were just not prepared to handle the number of simultaneous users that we are seeing these days. But we are working on it. This is obviously going to be all of the devs highest priority after the uni reset which will buy us a few months time. I am optimistic that we can make enough changes in the next couple months to smooth things out a lot.

Lady of Ice wrote:
T20 Cap ships are going to redefine the word "broken" once they are speedy.

Just a head's up there.

it's going to be like equipping a jetstream on it, not like they just get speed CC...

Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:09 pm
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

He also said he added a speed beef to cap ships, that is what CCs comment was in relation to

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next