Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Post Re: Calypso Update 7.21.14
We could be making an holographic representation of the ship with 3d touch control popping out of everyone screen showing exactly where each ounce of stats come from and some people would still complain ! :P

People have been guessing the specific stats using wiki / forum / maths for a very long time. With the results of the formula all available precisely it merely mean it will be even easier to figure where everything come from.

Its already a lot of work to just get all those stats in so lets take it one step at a time shall we ?

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm
Team: Adamantiumized Souls
Main: TheWozbo
Level: 2166

Sounds a bit backwards; UI should be driven by the API layer which is driven by the business logic (read: game logic). Are you also passing this information over the command channel (server socket)? This might be better off being a side channel/ REST.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

The client only has information it need to have. Specific sources of every stats is not even needed by the server except for the short period where it recalculate every stats for a specific object.

The ui is indeed populated from the logic loop, but that logic loop does not possess nor is there any access to the information needed to provide the advanced data you want.

Off-course given unlimited time and server power, we could add unlimited amount of data. But limits are here to ensure we can keep on expanding and not spend an overly large amount of time for very little benefit (like for instance, spending 5 times longer on the ship info dialog to get information you would only use 5% of the time and that you already have access to indirectly).

For performance reasons, we do not rely on text based sockets due to how large an overhead they include, altho thats a bit unrelated to that specific discussion since no matter what network format is used, if the data is not available to the client, it simply is not. Adding the server side implementation for the availability on data even the server do not keep outside of when it calculate it is a huge amount of work for very very little gain.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

The bits under the ship preview should be in a table to be consistent with the rest of the look & feel, imo

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:26 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I dont think knowing exactly where all the stats come from will matter as long as we have the end result somewhere, which was the point of the suggestion.

Also would be cool if range and crits were also added to the stats. I think there is another stat that ive always wanted to know but i forgot what it was now :? hostility perhaps?

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 pm
Team: Traders
Main: X2
Level: 4628

nice stuff. . . is that pax vega t9 also going on in game? XD

iirc we already have a ship button in game showing hull class and top speed. . . just need to add on that eh? :)

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:09 am
Team: Soup
Main: Prolex
Level: 2241

Exquisite work Calypso! Definitely will be useful for everyone.

PS: Pax Vega :O

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I was also thinking it might be nice to have the final stats of every equipped weapon, such as damage, DPS, range, energy, rof, but maybe there's not enough room for that.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

How will transference efficiency and electrical tempering be displayed? To avoid confusion it might be worth something like a Healing Efficiency and Firing Energy (weapon efficiency?) stat.

Edit: Changed electrical efficiency to firing energy due to potential confusions arrising from elec tempering not applying to other elec drains.

Last edited by The Salty One on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

JeffL wrote:
I was also thinking it might be nice to have the final stats of every equipped weapon, such as damage, DPS, range, energy, rof, but maybe there's not enough room for that.

This would be AWESOME

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 pm
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

JeffL wrote:

At least for DPS please. It would be amazing to finally find out that stat. And if drones had that info too but I know that's another project.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Aeglos
Level: 2773

urzaserra256 wrote:
Then what we are going to end up getting is going to disappoint a fairly large number of players that voted for this was expecting a breakdown of exactly where all the bonuses are coming from and how the bonuses are calculated. Even if the suggestion didnt specifically say that. Knowing how the various bonuses are calculated is somethign that should be in the game somewhere.

I might have misunderstood you, but I don't think we should be spoon-fed exactly what bonuses come from where? This still leaves something to the imagination/player experimentation and the ship window will show total bonuses applying to the ship, so as redalert says, you know the end result of your tinkering.

JeffL wrote:

And for slaves please! :D

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

The Salty One wrote:
How will transference efficiency and electrical tempering be displayed? To avoid confusion it might be worth something like a Healing Efficiency and Firing Energy (weapon efficiency?) stat.

Edit: Changed electrical efficiency to firing energy due to potential confusions arrising from elec tempering not applying to other elec drains.

Elec tempering thats the other skill!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 pm
Main: NukeACow
Level: 8103

SEANLA4350. wrote:
urzaserra256 wrote:
Then what we are going to end up getting is going to disappoint a fairly large number of players that voted for this was expecting a breakdown of exactly where all the bonuses are coming from and how the bonuses are calculated. Even if the suggestion didnt specifically say that. Knowing how the various bonuses are calculated is somethign that should be in the game somewhere.

I might have misunderstood you, but I don't think we should be spoon-fed exactly what bonuses come from where? This still leaves something to the imagination/player experimentation and the ship window will show total bonuses applying to the ship, so as redalert says, you know the end result of your tinkering.

JeffL wrote:

And for slaves please! :D

Maybe if you were to do this for slaves, a window could pop up when you do status report giving a detailed window like the ship statistics. Gives all the same stats and then slave exclusive ones and perhaps a little spot under the picture or something saying how many slots the slave uses and whether it is a Trade Slave or Combat Slave.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Slots might be useful for wild slaves, but I really don't think trade slave VS combat slave is worth adding.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm