Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Jeff you might also consider putting the Slave maneuvers (Mining and Trade) in the slow thread. War Slaves should remain in the faster threads.

They really don't cause any significant lag - non-combat slaves are actually relatively cheap to maintain compared to other AI, since they already have their decisions chosen for them. Coding time would probably be better spent optimizing AI and base/drone target selection code, rather than trying to spawn it off into a lower priority thread. Threads can be a huge pain in the ass, and can cause a lot of problems if they aren't managed right.

Obviously before we go making any changes to anything of that nature, Jeff will probably use diagnostics to determine exactly what percentage of each server frame certain frequently called functions use, and from there we can figure out what priority to place on optimizing them.

In any case, as soon as the code on test goes live, I would say that it is likely that the server will run a smooth and consistent 8 FPS minimum (and closer to 10-15 on average). The problem really hasn't been with average times, the huge problem has been the spikes that occur infrequently.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:22 pm
Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966

I'm guessing this stuff would just be a quick fix till client 2 comes out as the server code will be completely different?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

No, the server code will remain (mostly) the same during the transition to client 2.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:10 pm
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Jacob Evans
Level: 511

I have created a new thread that can process lower priority incoming network messages. The section of code that processes incoming network messages is in the main server loop, and most of the things that are lagging out the server occur there, so handing the costly messages off to this new thread will cause the main loop to not lag from them.

So far I have just made it so handling chat messages are handed off to this new thread. This is up and running on test atm. The two next big ones to hand off will be the two log in events, "handle logon", and "select character". Basically I just need to add a bunch of locks around data that is accessed by anything I want to hand off. But most of the 2 second lags we get seem to be from people logging in, so if I can get everything going with no deadlocks or data corruption, then those will be fixed. Who cares if there's a two second delay when you log in, anyway? As long as the firing, warping, and docking is fast, that is what really matters.

I hate the delay while i'm logging in because trying to trade between characters when you aren't an Operator sucks, one of your only options is to put them on top of eachother and switch while the item is dropped or give it to someone you trust to hold it while you switch. It usually isn't a 2 second delay either, it can go on for up the 15 seconds.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:41 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Bluejayek
Level: 3919

you could just drop a base on the one character and set the items for sale for 1 credit..

lag when logging is much better then lag while fighting

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:50 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I have been testing the new threaded code on test a few times and found a problem each time and fixed it each time. This multithreaded coding can be very difficult and thank you for everyone who hops onto test when I ask, because really, it's not possible to test it without a bunch of volunteers. It's so important to test it beforehand because no one want the live server to start crashing all the time. =) I'm making progress and still working on it. Once it completely works, I think it will be a huge improvement to the server's performance.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:40 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Nurokourri
Level: 5049

SO NO LAG?

At least Bizman and Shodaime won't be the ones causing the lag. ^_~

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:28 am
Team: Goldenboy-Pax Alliance
Main: Please Dont Shoot
Level: 1227

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 am
Main: PhysicalAbuse V
Level: 2006

2 Weeks and no update? How is the progress Jeff?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:45 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Progress is slow. Multithreading is difficult. I am still working on it, though.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Main: PhysicalAbuse V
Level: 2006

That sucks, but we know you can do it :D Keep up the good work.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:14 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Phoenix Rising(CA)
Level: 2028

i would like to sujest Geoman11 on some of the problems as he seems to know quite abit about coding and what not

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:45 am
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 4171

Has anyone looked at asteroids and mining as a source of lag?

Everytime I go through a system with asteroids the bottom drops out of my frame rate and my auto pilot dies.

The only asteroid belts that are necessary for game- play are Bonnet and possibly Ring.

I know that the reason asteriod belts were increased was because of overcrowding in Ring. Now we have similar problems all over the place and huge lag to boot ! :)

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:18 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next