Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post Re: Stackers
So perhaps we might see Client 2 in the new year?

Sat May 17, 2008 5:37 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2443

At least we are being informed of what is going on, and we are being teased by some of the new stuff like the artwork etc.

Sounds interesting, anyways.

P.S. As this thread has admin attention, I'd just like to point out that I cannot enter my full character name, and it would be great if you linked the forum profile with the main ingame profile like we had with the other forum version...

Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 am
Main: _Emrys
Level: 1036

JeffL wrote:
The contractor that I hired who is working on client2 is simply porting the current client to Irrlict. So when he's done, it should look almost the same as the current client. His currently estimated finish time is in June, though that has already slipped 3 times. Once he's done, then the main dev team will add in all the new models, new special effects, and new GUI, which will probably take several months.

The new GUI elements fall in 4 main categories:

1) Multiple selection for ship and base inventory and handling of actions on those multiple selections. i.e. select a bunch of things, then right-click and choose "sell", "toss", "transfer", or whatever, and that action will apply to all selected items.

2) Icons along the top for all allies and controllable possessions. There will be information along the top for anything you can control (slaves, drones, or bases) and possibly also allies in the same galaxy with shield bars on each one. Clicking on an icon will select it, double clicking will select all of that type, and triple clicking will select everything you can control.

3) RTS-Style commands for things you can control. After selecting things in the manner described in 2), you can then right-click on things in the galaxy to give context-sensitive commands to what you've selected. right-clicking on an enemy will tell your selected controllables to attack that enemy. Clicking on an AI base will tell your selected slaves to dock and deactivate there. Clicking on a wormhole would tell your selected slaves to jump through there and wait for you. Clicking on a debris will tell a selected slave to scoop that debris. Clicking on an ally would tell your selected things to heal or guard it. etc.

4) Small icons for wormholes, AI bases, and your current target that float on the edge of the screen in the direction of these things if they are off screen. This will help orient you, keep noobs who float away from feeling lost, and be very convenient for jumping to the next galaxy and docking at an AI base, since you will be able to right-click on these icons to either AP to and jump through that wormhole or AP to and dock at that base. You will also be able to select your slaves and right-click on a base or wormhole "edge floaty" to give them the corresponding order for that thing without having to find it on your radar or requiring it to be on screen.

Thank you so much. That sounds terrific. I know I certainly appreciate these updates, and I'm sure the rest of the community does as well. Sound like we might have C2 by the end of the year...

Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

as an eta whore, i love those info lol. Im so happy to know client 2 *might* be out for next year =D. This will be a big help to all the slave master around lol. But well, for now, ill start by being happy once my aura bug is patched =D

Sat May 17, 2008 11:15 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Pear
Level: 5670

Jeff if you will be able to right click on items to interact with them, will there still be the option to press X?

Just asking as i play on a mac and we only have 1 mouse click :)

Sat May 17, 2008 1:21 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

robc834 wrote:
Jeff if you will be able to right click on items to interact with them, will there still be the option to press X?

LOL, Mac... You will be missing out. Can't you use a multi-button mice with Macs if you buy one?

Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Zephyr
Main: Starbawk
Level: 5389

I believe you can click the apple button and then the mouse button with the same effect as a right click. I may be wrong on the keyboard button, but there is a keyboard button that invokes the right click on macs..

Sat May 17, 2008 5:26 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Pear
Level: 5670

You can press Ctrl and Click to right click but its just a hassle really :)

Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 am
Main: _Emrys
Level: 1036

robc834 wrote:
You can press Ctrl and Click to right click but its just a hassle really :)

Well that sounds like a problem with apple. And them being too fucking stupid to put in a right click button.... without requiring the customer to buy a whole new mouse.

Sun May 18, 2008 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Main: Nurokourri
Level: 5049

robc834 wrote:
You can press Ctrl and Click to right click but its just a hassle really

Due to using Macs for a few months I now sometimes have the tendency to do that on Windows computers: too bad it doesn't work.

Its nice to hear about current plans for client 2. While I was expecting most of it, number 4 I certainly was not and sounds like it will make travel much easier and user-friendly.

Sun May 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966

So when the ETA of March was given...it was March of 2009? :lol:

It all sounds cool though. One thing which i would like to suggest for C2 is the ability to Mod the GUI and to create add-ons. I think the only online games that i can think of that actively promote this is WoW, and UT3. Both have massive modding communities which are highly beneficial to the development of their games. Blizzard and EPIC don't have the time to implement all the cool ideas that people have, and they have hundreds of people working for them, so they simply let everyone else do it.

I really think SS should move into being more customizable. By opening up to a modding community, SS is bound to grow. At the moment the market is pretty much limited to 14-16 year olds who happen to stumble across SS on their way to finding EvE and old school retro gamers who get addicted to the game for life. The game needs to appeal to graphics whores, modders, hardcore gamers and retro gamers. Thats the only way to really make SS popular.

Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Takuhi wrote:
So when the ETA of March was given...it was March of 2009? :lol:

It all sounds cool though. One thing which i would like to suggest for C2 is the ability to Mod the GUI and to create add-ons. I think the only online games that i can think of that actively promote this is WoW, and UT3. Both have massive modding communities which are highly beneficial to the development of their games. Blizzard and EPIC don't have the time to implement all the cool ideas that people have, and they have hundreds of people working for them, so they simply let everyone else do it.

I really think SS should move into being more customizable. By opening up to a modding community, SS is bound to grow. At the moment the market is pretty much limited to 14-16 year olds who happen to stumble across SS on their way to finding EvE and old school retro gamers who get addicted to the game for life. The game needs to appeal to graphics whores, modders, hardcore gamers and retro gamers. Thats the only way to really make SS popular.

modding.... *drools*

the first line of business in that direction : ... Patches suck.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Mon May 19, 2008 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

patches own! whenever i get a patch i'm like omfg w00t new stuff to play with!!!

Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7942

JeffL wrote:
robc834 wrote:

LOL, Mac... You will be missing out. Can't you use a multi-button mice with Macs if you buy one?

Multi-button mice work on mac just as they do on windooza... only better
And if you are using the default apple mouse with 1 button you are a muppet. Get a logitech or mighty mouse (also made by logitech btw) or something.

But you are making a multi-platform client right?

I have reasons for why I do things.

Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Muffasa
Level: 7757

dont make a mac client.... or Q will start playing at work and get his ass fired

Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next