Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Team: Infinate Dreams
Main: Desert Rat
Level: 652

I was debating the costs, which you quoted inaccuratly.

A fortified kit still cost around 200-250 (at tech 18) to drop and Laconia is at least twice that.

Yes you can carry it on till the next uni but presumably you wont build just one base so therefore you will generally need to build at least 10 of these bases thats a cost of 2bil - 4.5bil.

And thats not including the augs still....

Then take a lok at Polys post in the ship setup and you can see him say he can do 5 x 35k shots without running out of elec and you've still got 100k worth of damage even with damps.

Also take into consideration a player never needs to loose an item and the fact a base will easily total over 2bil worth not to mention time spent and you begin to see a picture of why bases are too weak for the trouble and costs compared to a playership.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:38 pm
Main: Cyphe12
Level: 1566

I know how to build bases thanks :)

I never said you didn't...

Madferret wrote:

A fortified kit still cost around 200-250 (at tech 18) to drop and Laconia is at least twice that.

Not true... The issue here isn't the tech 18 kit, its the fact that its fortified... The assumption is that you will be placing the kit anyways, so you start from that point when calculating the costs. I was actually giving prices based on improving on what you would use anyways, so my quotes were not inaccurate.

Madferret wrote:
Yes you can carry it on till the next uni but presumably you wont build just one base so therefore you will generally need to build at least 10 of these bases thats a cost of 2bil - 4.5bil.

One person doesn't have to build 10 bases... The fact is, if you can't defend a galaxy on your own, you should pair up with someone else who can help you defend it. Not EVERYONE has to have their own galaxies... If you are strong enough to defend one by yourself, go ahead, but people shouldn't complain if their 5 crapily augged ande bases got killed when they pissed off someone on the stronger teams.

Madferret wrote:
Then take a lok at Polys post in the ship setup and you can see him say he can do 5 x 35k shots without running out of elec and you've still got 100k worth of damage even with damps.

5x 35k dmg is 175m... 55% resists on energy damner+... Makes for about 79k damage in about the 15 seconds it takes to deal it... Roughly 5.25k dmg/second, very similar to a base killer pax with slates... Except slates you can shoot nonstop, this you only have power for 15 seconds then you need a red giant... Slates are tracking, jackhammers are not... Who's misrepresenting their information now?

Madferret wrote:
Also take into consideration a player never needs to loose an item and the fact a base will easily total over 2bil worth not to mention time spent and you begin to see a picture of why bases are too weak for the trouble and costs compared to a playership.

I agree, but this is a problem with the pvp system more than a problem with the strength of bases. I don't think the bases need changed to compensate for this, I think the pvp system needs to be revamped so that the players are risking more than their 25m gear glue when basekilling.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:10 am
Team:
Main: Metabolism
Level: 256

perhaps base weaponry should have a slight 1.1/1.2 damage modifier or something

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

Madferret wrote:

I never said you didn't...

But neverless offered 'suggestions'

IAmMe2 wrote:
Madferret wrote:

Not true... The issue here isn't the tech 18 kit, its the fact that its fortified... The assumption is that you will be placing the kit anyways, so you start from that point when calculating the costs. I was actually giving prices based on improving on what you would use anyways, so my quotes were not inaccurate.

Then your economics are at question then. You have still spent that amount no matter what you intended to do with it, its 'lost' cash.

IAmMe2 wrote:
Madferret wrote:

One person doesn't have to build 10 bases... The fact is, if you can't defend a galaxy on your own, you should pair up with someone else who can help you defend it. Not EVERYONE has to have their own galaxies... If you are strong enough to defend one by yourself, go ahead, but people shouldn't complain if their 5 crapily augged ande bases got killed when they pissed off someone on the stronger teams.

I never said one player I meant as a team. As a team I have an average 10 bases per galaxy, that is what I meant. Some galaxies are just undefendable anyway, you sometimes dont have the option to put bases 'together' either by having them all in range or other means.

IAmMe2 wrote:
Madferret wrote:

5x 35k dmg is 175m... 55% resists on energy damner+... Makes for about 79k damage in about the 15 seconds it takes to deal it... Roughly 5.25k dmg/second, very similar to a base killer pax with slates... Except slates you can shoot nonstop, this you only have power for 15 seconds then you need a red giant... Slates are tracking, jackhammers are not... Who's misrepresenting their information now?

It matters not wether they track or not if you go upto a base and fire at it most of your shots will hit and all you'd need is 2 people to do that...

Besides the point was more how many bases do you know off that can do 35k shots?

IAmMe2 wrote:
Madferret wrote:

I agree, but this is a problem with the pvp system more than a problem with the strength of bases. I don't think the bases need changed to compensate for this, I think the pvp system needs to be revamped so that the players are risking more than their 25m gear glue when basekilling.

But a 1 player should still be able to kill a base? or even 2? I dont think so... A player is a moveable entity that can be used for fighting players/AI and in teams be used against bases, thats how it should work.

Atm most MF's can wreck anything they like in a short amount of time, bases either cant damage them, cant regen enough, or get too much inital damage (venusian jacks) to be able to stop them. I dotn see that as a pvp problem that seems to be a base strength problem

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:59 pm
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Polydectes
Level: 1842

Come on Ferret... 1 MF can take out 1 base NP, and that is how it should be, but how often is there only 1 base in a gal with no drones, if you are smart and arrange your bases and drones more efficiently, it becomes a lot harder to kill bases. And Achilles base is very hard to kill if it is pos auged, but it is killable, but if it is pos auged and shooting ambro lasers while quafirs drones are shooting the monkeys in their pvp, all the sudden you have a gremmed out MF with gremmed out hears, it is important to just arrange your base levels and drones in a way that protects them better, "enough monkeys can out heal any dps, the key is to remove the monkeys from the picture." Head to Murphid if it is still, up, that is a gal that is well balanced, there is no way that one MF could kill any base in there because all the bases are made to cover each other, and the drones are there to not only cover the bases, but eliminate monkeys too!

I happen to be a DM and a MF, and build a lot too, and being not only a base builder and base killer, I see how important it is to really balance your galaxies.

Now this is defining the role of attack drones, and personally I feel they are overpowered, especially at the lower end. A level 200 DM can kill a lvl 200 base with little difficulty; they also can kill most ai to level to 600 very fast. A level 1000+ base can’t be killed by a DM as easy, because the higher level drones are not only not made for base killing, but they are made to do mass DP to a single moving target over time. Really I feel that drones like the pickpocket drone, which can slaughter gals of MF slumbers in seconds, are overpowered for leveling, and I feel that dwo drones, that if well placed and quickly auged and level a gal of bgs in a few minutes, are very underpowered. I (a level 550 DM 20) took a load of PPs and a load of lipo drones to north w3, and cleared all gals with ease, however the pps preformed just as well as their lipo counterparts, which is wrong. DM is broken as an attack skill at lower levels, and underpowered at higher levels, it always has been. DM gets nerfed, a lot... and it is still overpowered, my crappy DM 20 in a non-T20 ship can clear most dgs my MF with weapons 20 can, I don't mind really, but it is pretty broken.

Being a DM I wish I could deploy defense perma drones to protect my gals and still go and level and dg, but it just isn't viable, and would really just be more broken, we need to choose if defense drones or leveling is more important.

Um, nerf drones more, DMs will live, lol, I won't curse you Atlum and I'm one of them.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:48 am

aking exception to the last two (small) paragraphs, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about Omni...

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Come on Ferret... 1 MF can take out 1 base NP, and that is how it should be

The hell it is. A single damage dealer shouldnt be able to get even close to taking out a base. It's a freaking base! It should take atleast 3-4 strong damage dealers to take out a powerful base. And to tank a powerful base you should need atleast 2-3 healers.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am
Main: Soulless
Level: 492

If you look how other games handle bases, they are FRICKING TANKS!

A base should have the shield regeneration strength and bank of 4-5 Monkeys Banks combined.

And it should be able to outdamage 2-3 Multifirers, a Base should be a solitary asset that is as hard as breaking a board with your hands.

You can do it with skill, but its hard as hell to figure it out.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:47 pm
Team: Vanu Sovereignty
Main: Purgatory
Level: 1075

A base is a base.

If you look how other games handle bases, they are FRICKING TANKS!

A base should have the shield regeneration strength and bank of 4-5 Monkeys Banks combined.

And it should be able to outdamage 2-3 Multifirers, .

a Base should be a solitary asset that is as hard as breaking a board with your hands.[/color]
You can do it with skill, but its hard as hell to figure it out.

It does with mastery, even without recovery/bank augments.

This is does, but only if it's augged for dmg... as a MF pax which is meant to kill bases would be

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:24 pm
Main: Soulless
Level: 492

Still doesnt change the fact taht a tech 16 base shouldnt be able to be killed by 1 MF.

It should require 2-3 with slates.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:15 am

Still doesnt change the fact taht a tech 16 base shouldnt be able to be killed by 1 MF.

No... if that would happen, then how would a 4 zerker 2 achilles recovery augged annihilator mastery 20 base be killed? 20 slate thorax rosemarinus+'s? and what if it's 3 achilles bases on 1 planet with shield trans's... simply indestructable?

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 am

Most you can do is 3 Pos before it hits the sheild regen caps.

No amount of mastery, augs or station tweak will help against it once it hits the cap (although sheild transferes from other bases will).

Besides atm you can go into a galaxy kill one base, run away, kill another base etc etc, Range is a big problem on most bases I think, only the mags have the sort of range I'd like to see.

The problem has come about from having only 4 augs normally, I think 5 minimum should be the norm also galaxies are a lot bigger than they used to be and simply theres a lot more space to be filled.

Drones are pretty mush useless unless against AI in a lot of galaxies some of them have about 11k between the sun a the furthest planet (and I'm sure theres ones further out than that too) theres no way you can provide that amount of range even if another planet does a flyby every so often.

Colony bases suffer due to having to double/treble up with another CA and lose slots or suffer a loss in suitability for a bit of extra protection.

You cannot even with 4 augs get more DPS than a MFer, a MFer instantly gets a x5 modifier on him, even with 4 zues you wouldnt get that, the best you could probably do would be with 4 firing augs and even then I doubt youd get as much, and then you'd lose out with range and sheild gen/bank allowing the base to be '1 or 2 shotted'.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:45 am

DroneMaster wrote:

No... if that would happen, then how would a 4 zerker 2 achilles recovery augged annihilator mastery 20 base be killed? 20 slate thorax rosemarinus+'s? and what if it's 3 achilles bases on 1 planet with shield trans's... simply indestructable?

And it wouldn't be able to kill anything either... If a base is purely defensive, I don't see the problem with making it nearly unkillable... Not to mention that a base like that would cost several bill to build... Annihilator bases should be practically unkillable as it is... With zerker/achilles receovery, I don't see how you would expect anything less than 5+ uber MFs to be able to kill it.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:34 pm

2kewl4u wrote:
DroneMaster wrote:

And it wouldn't be able to kill anything either... If a base is purely defensive, I don't see the problem with making it nearly unkillable... Not to mention that a base like that would cost several bill to build... Annihilator bases should be practically unkillable as it is... With zerker/achilles receovery, I don't see how you would expect anything less than 5+ uber MFs to be able to kill it.

What I"m saying is it shouldn't increase more (the stats on bases) I had a laconia kit 3 anda recovery 1 anda electricity, anda shield and charger, EE and SM alt... it took traders I think 5 bases (2 achilles 3 anda to kill) not sure if the 2 achilles were shooting it, but deffo those 3 anda... Shouldn't be made harder really...

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:17 am

That would be because bases cant do enough DPS it wouldnt take 5 players to do that.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next