Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you support a change in the way bases work?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:33 pm
Yes, add base stasis generators and also a more restictive cap to the number of bases ownable. 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
No, leave it as-is. 76%  76%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 49

Team: Traders
Main: Nargos
Level: 1287

Horrible idea. Like bach said, if your base can be killed, then it deserved to die. With the addition of these uber sheild caps on bases, if you can aug your base worth crap then it wont die, so theres no need for a stasis gen. A 4 dion (or pos) augged andaman base with a sheild cap and station mastery has over 19 mill sheilds. Also, I agree, if a base dies and goes into stasis and becomes un attached, you will get screwed over if your colony base does die. That spells "bugs" right there. Plus this would make bases effectively more unkillable then they are now. Just sit there, wait for your base to go into light stasis and bring it back. Totally crap idea. I do, however, like the idea of drones having stasis gens...or perma drones anyways.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 am
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

Horrible idea. Like bach said, if your base can be killed, then it deserved to die. With the addition of these uber sheild caps on bases, if you can aug your base worth crap then it wont die, so theres no need for a stasis gen. A 4 dion (or pos) augged andaman base with a sheild cap and station mastery has over 19 mill sheilds. Also, I agree, if a base dies and goes into stasis and becomes un attached, you will get screwed over if your colony base does die. That spells "bugs" right there. Plus this would make bases effectively more unkillable then they are now. Just sit there, wait for your base to go into light stasis and bring it back. Totally crap idea. I do, however, like the idea of drones having stasis gens...or perma drones anyways.

yes.

and abses should cap at 10m sheilds. the besh shmonk has 120k sheilds......

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

actually, what with the new armada shield-booster augs, a SM could have SIGNIFICANTLY more than 120 or 150k shields, whatever it was.

that said, i also disagree with this idea, and think that the idea of base stasis gen is actually really stupid. i mean, in my mind, killing a base should be accompanied by triumphant music, a sense of accomplishment, and massive xplosions launching shrapnel alll over the place. not a little p00f, and the annoyance that it has a stasis gen equipped.

i think that Bases should be looked at, and changed signifficantly, but not this dirastically.(please pardon my spelling)

what i mean by that is, right now, in order to kill a base you need: a few SM's, a couple Ultra-high DPS augged ships, and some patience. i think that it should be a massive battle, maybe not to take down one station, but at least a galaxies worth, with slaves attacking, massive pulses of energy flying around randomly, and missiles and rockets hitting things randomly. as it is now, youy fly in, attack, and every single base in the galaxy starts shooting at you with etheral lasers, and there is NO way to dodge. ii reeeealy dont like that, it should be more skill based. maybe you have to fly down a long chute, and then fire a proton torpedo into the reactor core, or something :lol:
nah, just joking. but something skill based.

thats me ranting

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:28 pm
Team: Olympus
Main: Calypso
Level: 1800

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
What I am about to say is bound to piss a lot of people off, but I honestly believe it would resolve most of the games shortfalls and problems (including the one that prompted this topic).

There are far better ways to resolve the problem of base strength. The first is to make this a PvE game with optional PvP. OPTIONAL. (That alone would probably finally get you guys off the player base mesa the # of paying accounts is stuck at). Take a look at most of the popular MMO, they all have OPTIONAL PVP, and that is one of the reason they do very well. Optional PvP satisfies casual and hardcore players alike.

Second, the main reason people keep complaining about bases happens to be what? Massive loss of investment.
IAmMe2 wrote:
..PvB is the ONLY way to really damage a person's assets...

That right there is why people don't like to lose bases. If you die a few times, you lose a bit of cash in GG, maybe an item or two, but never anything serious if you're a good player. If you lose a base, you're out lots of time, lots of money, lots of effort and you're probably extremely pissed. If it happens enough, you're pissed enough that you give up, you leave, you quit, and the game is out a paying player.

This again, is the reason I feel the game would do much better with optional PvP.

I've outline countless times, what I think would be a workable optional PvP system, and here is a brief rundown. Bases can only be built by players in a team, bases are automatically teamed. PvB can only be initiated through declaring war on another team. When you declare war on another team, the team is warned and given 24hrs to prepare for your assault. If they declare war back within that period of time, open war state is initiated immediately. Open War means 0 PvP restriction between the two teams. However, if the other team doesn't switch on war, and your team stays in unilateral aggression, that team has a reduced income of 15% to pay for the upkeep of the unilateral aggression.

For normal PvP, Warp 3 = 0 restriction / consequence PvP. What happens in warp 3 stays in Warp 3, and if you pick on someone enough, they might get their friends to come after you. With the PvP aura, towing stations, etc, that would work I think.

Before you stick a band-aid on for a problem that is a result of a very serious issue in the game design, take a look at the source. Until PvP is fixed in a manner that is suitable for everyone (or at least you have separate servers) you'll just have to keep sticking band-aids on, and that's not good for the game.

Calypso

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Antilzah II
Level: 2178

I like that idea of optional PvP too, Calypso.

Atm pvp is only fun for those who win. I think that playing game should be fun for everyone. Getting killed over and over w/o any chances of getting away from it and keeping playing freely isn't certainly fun.

-- Blizzara

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:40 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7753

Caly is right, there are no PvP losses in SS, however bases do blow up. Only other solution would be that GG only works vs AI.. but all the carebears on SS would LOVE that...

I have reasons for why I do things.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 pm

I think that if you are going to do that, you should do one thing. that is, make a warp from Sol that warps you into an aletrnate universe. that universe would have little or no Pvp, but enough planets for everyone. maybe even have that be the starting uni. then, have the other uni be MUCH more dangerous, but with EXTREMLY valuable possible rewards. maybe have VERY tough AI in the far out reaches, and AI with reeealy good radars, so that you cant sneak by by stealth, and that way sometimes the ffar out reaches of that uni never get explored. make THAT gal buildable as far out as you can get, just have the AI be VERY aggro to bases. actually, i think that might be REALLY fun, because right now, no AI can really challenge an andaman base, except for maybe a lvl 1000 Bana agro spawn. with this, your danger is higher, but with the loot you get from killing AI, is MIGHT just make up for it.

of course, to fully implement this, you would need a few months work on AI and gear to go into the game, just to load it full of suprises. but it would be a hell of a ride.

any suggestions on this? maybe call the dangerous uni the frontier, or something.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 pm
Team: The Vazaha Vigilantes
Main: PimpinDaHos
Level: 3255

me thinks if war is activated there's a chance GG partially fails.
PS I like this spell check thing that came with my computer... it underlines everything you speeled <-- wrong in red. w00t!

Goz's screen is going bloody as we speek

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 pm

It didn't come with your computer, I have it too. Its a FireFox feature, goz uses IE...

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:26 pm
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Calling people carebears just because they dont like PvP is wrong and insulting. Im pretty sure that a no PvP game would draw more people then a full PvP game, people dont like losing stuff that they have worked for, simple as that.
Optional PvP sounds like the best solution, those who want PvP can do PvP, those who dont like it can chose to avoid it.

If we had this option I honestly think that the majority of the players will chose to avoid PvP.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:32 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Thyme
Level: 2811

The stupidist Browser in existance.

And i LOVE CALYS IDEA!!!

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 pm
Profile WWW

The pure definition of "carebear" in a mmo is the one who avoids (doesn't like) PvP. It's not insulting, it's what it is and I also said people would not like it. And I also said I like caly's idea.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 pm
Team: MAD+
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:11 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3908

War becomes a serious business 15% revenue loss might be enough to get peoples attention :)

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:16 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next