Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Proposal for a PvP change
It's always a sign that the game mechanics are a little messed up when you have to have external rules about what's allowed and what's not, so whenever we make rules, such as "You can't kill someone multiple times unless they fight back", I try to think of in-game ways to make such rules obsolete.

So how about a "victim" flag that goes onto anyones ship when they get killed by another player, base, drone, or slave. As long as a person has the victim flag on, they can't be attacked by anything other than NPC's, and the flag stays on for 30 minutes or until that player shoots a non-NPC or docks at a base. Further, players with the victim flag will not be able to give aura effects to other players as long as they have that flag.

Does this seem reasonable? Any ways of exploiting it?

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

When you say NPCs would that include slaves? I would consider them as such.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

the only thing i can think of is people killing eachother, then while the victim flag is still up going into an enemies gal and poon a base that would have shot them otherwise.

but other than that it sounds good. just make it a little green square symbol that appears next to their flag, so people know.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:10 pm
Main: SugaCandy
Level: 636

I just dont like the new influx of rules. i like the game to be free so that rules and codes evolve naturally from the playerbase. too much structure cant be good, thats why ppl go online, to do w/e they want.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:13 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Xenophanes
Level: 7991

IF this was to go in, it should be more like 5 min. 30 is a bit much... and 5 min is plenty of time to get to a base, or let reinforcements come..... not to forget you dont have to get in right away.

Also, you should make the 'victum' flag go away as soon as they dock. So it would be like letting someone go get diffs or some GG.

But in all honesty, I dont think drastic rules/changes like this really need to be in the game. IMO you already have a lot in place (in game) to prevent.

For instance; if you get killed by someone hunting you down you have the options fo doing the following:

1) not get in, log for 10 min (caus believe it or not, your not worth their time) and even log onto an alt.

2) you can use bob's towing station in sol to tow ur ship to a safe location

3) you can wait to get in and reinforcements come

4) when u get in, you have that cool blocker tweak.... which can give you ample time to get to an ai base and dock.

On the note of bases and the new rules that were imposed, it's pretty simple.

1) with the recent beefs to bases, and all the wide varity of gear out there... it is entirely possible for someone to build some really unkillable tech 16 bases. Just look at the firepower it took for usuigi.... and that was only caus he pissed off all of SS that his really got killed.

2) A lot of 'defensless' teams have gotten pretty greedy when it comes to claiming galaxies. IMO if you own a gal, your taking on the responsibility of protecting it. If you cant do that, or your spreading yourself too thin, it's your own fault if they die. (since you as admins have given them the tools to defend it)

I know u were trying to address people getting griefed like no other... but we dont have rathmas in reavers flying around any more. Andro is gone, minch along with others are trying to find peace.... I really dont see the need for what your trying to fix with this in the first place.

well that's my 2 cents.

~bach

Last edited by denedin707 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:18 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: 80/80
Level: 1728

i think the pvp in the game is fine as it is atm, voomy has alrdy shown that he is serious about griefing, i doubt anyone will continue to chain pod or grief weaker players. this just doesnt seem necessary Jeff.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

My point is that I would rather have in-game mechanics to handle griefing problems rather than a serious admin who always has to keep an eye out. In-game mechanics are easier for everyone to follow and understand, and there is no gray area.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Thummmper
Level: 3066

Slaves are NOT AI/NPC ships.

Demiser of D wrote:
the only thing i can think of is people killing eachother, then while the victim flag is still up going into an enemies gal and poon a base that would have shot them otherwise.

The victim would just get ONE shot and the flag would be cleared.

denedin707 wrote:
IF this was to go in, it should be more like 5 min. 30 is a bit much... and 5 min is plenty of time to get to a base, or let reinforcements come..... not to forget you dont have to get in right away.

Also, you should make the 'victum' flag go away as soon as they dock. So it would be like letting someone go get diffs or some GG.

I think the 30 minutes is good. And Jeff did say the flag would be cleared on docking at an AI station.

------------------

My two cents: The only two exceptions I would have to this are in The Arena and if the so called victim was the one initiating the conflict. If a player attacks another player and is then killed/podded, I think that if the attacker gets back into hir ship they deserve to be podded again, but only killed/podded only twice, and then the timer starts running.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 pm
Main: SugaCandy
Level: 636

I agree that an admin shouldnt have to mediate the game, but i think built in rules tend to ruin the flexibility of the game. hence there are less options, less scenarios, leading to more repetativeness, boredom, less ingenuity...

i think perhaps an concise theory of how pvp should work should be made rather than a series of ad-hoc additions.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:52 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: 80/80
Level: 1728

i say give it some time, the players are now aware that the admins are serious about griefing. give it a few weeks/months and if it continues then by all means implement this to the game, but atm it dont seem like its needed...

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:59 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Tank
Level: 3703

put it on test jeff can't tell you if its exploitable if i havn't tested it yet.. its a good idea though

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm
Profile YIM

i say give it some time, the players are now aware that the admins are serious about griefing. give it a few weeks/months and if it continues then by all means implement this to the game, but atm it dont seem like its needed...

I totally agree with JeffL on this. The game should control the mechanics and not an Admin, who more than likely isn't in the galaxy and observing the total fight/ing. The code is the place to control PvP.

The sticky part is working out the total mechanics.

For my part I don't think its fair to the Admins to have to step in when they have no real idea what is really going on... and then try to make sense of the situation, and come up with a fair solution... every time. Its just one big ULCER factory.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

Golfman560 wrote:

Then why does it say its an AI when you click on it?

Ontopic: Other then that I think the only way of exploiting it is by being a DM; they could set up all their drones to be ready and then attack.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

Thummmper wrote:
Golfman560 wrote:

Then why does it say its an AI when you click on it?

Because it is being controlled by a computer... War slaves are not NPCs. They are programmed by a player and are extensions of that player.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 8518

to what 80/80 said...no way...there needs to be hard coded rules...

30 minutes seems like way way way too much...I think 5 minutes would be more reasonable. You can easily get to a protected AI gal or at least a base in 5 minutes. especially since you will be invulnerable to tracters and the like from your pirate friend who could be hot on your heals.

This seems like an ok idea, but as soon as they fire or tractor, they should lose the safety of the flag and be open season.

Also...with these new rules hard coded into the game, there would be no excuses for the punks who shoot their mouth off and get killed all the time. these considerations by the admins should end and the in-game rules will once again solely dictate the pvp in the game.

Bases should not be super protected like you guys are trying to do. As said in bach's post, bases got a huge beef as of late and if built properly can withstand quite an onslaught. The reason bases die so easily is because people spread too thinly and then get the hell kicked out of them...its their own fault.

-ERMAN

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next