Main: Tengu
Level: 866

But aside from that lets stop trying to compsoe ideas to make capital ships usable until we acually get them ingame or on test... I think they probably will be pretty powerful :)

I agree. The cap ships aren't even out yet and people are bitching that they need to be beefed.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 am
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

now I rly want the new skills and an aug reset

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Rat Zombie Slaves
Main: Caelestis
Level: 1959

Since it seems to be a point of discussion, I will give a rough draft of what Capital Ships are going to be.

Capital Ships base stats will be balanced with the Fleet Focus, Gunner and Commander skills directly in mind. This means that unless you are specialized to use Capital Ships, you will not be a valuable asset to a fleet beyond Class Specialized Field Generators. You will not have a lot of hull space to work with (between 800-1000), you will be slow (since you do not have the skills to make your ship faster), and in general most of your Class bonuses will not apply. This is intended to keep Capital Class Ships from being the superior choice in every situation, and to keep a Fleet varied.

However, should you specialize to use a Capital Ship, you will be able to be a monster like most here want. A Fleet Commander will have a nice hull bonus to work with in order to use the best Fighter Bays, and use Gigantic Gear (as well as stack Compressed Dampeners, and other large gear). A Gunner will have the hull space to stack multiples of weapons, missiles, point defense et cetra. Most of the power in Capital ships will be because of the skill, not the ship.

As far as Hull Class Balance goes, a Capital will be able to decimate other Capitals and do significant damage to Combat Freighters and Heavy Fighters. They will also be an idea choice for base assaults. Light Fighters (and some Fighters for base fighter bays) however will be given weapons designed specifically to destroy Capital Ships by outmaneuvering them (as they will be heavy when fully equipped). Yet again, our goal is to create the need for a balanced fleet for PvE and PvP combat. If you go to assault a galaxy with a fleet of Capital ships only, you will probably be ripped apart by smaller fighters that are more resistant your fully tracking weaponry.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion with the exact goals for Capital Ships. At the very least though, realize that unless you are a Fleet Focus class, you will not be at your prime in a Capital Ship. You most likely will hinder the fleet you are part of more than you will help them.

Caelestis

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:50 pm

This just gets me more hyped about the new stuff. Unlike most people, this is what I imagined Cap ships to be like.

Hurry up and get the skills and gear onto the test server.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:02 pm
Main: Convivial
Level: 1145

Woot that is exactly what I wanted to hear Cael. FC for da win :)

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:09 pm
Team: Capitalists
Main: Decimus
Level: 971

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that capital ships aren't going to be weak field generators that get towed along for the ride. Good for base assaults, but sitting ducks against maneuverable fighters is exactly what they should be.

If capital ships having more hull than freighters is ever a design problem, I would suggest just globally giving extra hull to all freighters. There really isn't anyone who can complain that non-combat ships get extra carrying capacity now that base gear can no longer be equipped on ships (or so I've been told).

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Nope, doesn't work any more. But I heard a rumor about cap ships and base gear. Probably false though.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:30 pm