Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

some people still dont get that cap ships will be support onl

its like having a shmonk solo DG's, rarely hapens, not whats its intended for

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Convivial
Level: 1145

Capital ships will be somewhat slow but not too bad....around 70 maybe. They wont have that much hull, if they did they would replace freighters.

So are we looking at HF hull, between HF hull and Combat Freighter Hull, or just south of Combat Freighter Hull?

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:13 pm
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

The Voomy One wrote:
Capital ships will be somewhat slow but not too bad....around 70 maybe. They wont have that much hull, if they did they would replace freighters.

So are we looking at HF hull, between HF hull and Combat Freighter Hull, or just south of Combat Freighter Hull?

shmonk app ward hull
MF pax speed
engineer+gunner mix support style im guessing

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3931

Capital ships in normal usage are Large, Well armoured, Powerful ships.

What we are getting are the fleet train, not large, not powerful, support ships.

I know its just a name but it is misleading.

We do have real capital ships in the game, the Guardian, the Copper Blob and the IQ Bana Queen.

So how about a name change before it gets too embarassing.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:48 pm
Profile YIM
Team: Progress
Main: Starship Orleans
Level: 1719

That's pretty much what I thought. No one would bring a capital ship with on uber runs or any where if they were slower than a thatch being towed, no matter how strong they were.

Towed thatches go faster than 70? wow, I don't get around enough.

What makes me curious is the concept of the SD capital ship. That would be cool for SDs to be able to bestow their hard earned skills upon other players so that they can be even more uber, though i wonder:

1. Will there be other class specific ships for snipers, gunners, etc, that will bestow their hard erned skills on other classes (such as SDs, for example) or is this a one way street here? I would love to have a sniper aura affecting SDs giveing them range, tracking, and other various bonuses.

2. Will the SDs be able to so generously spread their skills & abilities while also performing a combat function, or will the aura gens use enough electricity that the SDs have to choose between the aura & firing? I am concerned, because it is already hard enough for SDs to maintain any sort of sustained fire, and I suspect that the aura gen field would increase that liability.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:10 pm
Main: Tengu
Level: 866

25866 wrote:
That's pretty much what I thought. No one would bring a capital ship with on uber runs or any where if they were slower than a thatch being towed, no matter how strong they were.

Towed thatches go faster than 70? wow, I don't get around enough.

No, you need to read more. Refer to what I had asked earlier.

25866 wrote:
Could we by any chance get some base stats for the most basic cap ship, so people will stop making random comments about how they will only go 1-5 speed and have 10k hull.

With only 5 speed, a towed cap ship would only go 10. Which I think is slower than a BT being towed.

And a SD in a cap ship would be there mostly for support. So I don't think they would be doing too much in the firing department other than just sitting there and shooting from one spot. Much different from how they fight right now. Their aura would probably give a higher rate of fire and maybe speed to the MFers and Snipers.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:43 pm
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

So CAPITAL SHIPs is a misnomer.

What we are getting are the fleet train, not large, not powerful, support ships.

We do have real capital ships in the game, the Guardian, the Copper Blob and the IQ Bana Queen.

It has to be balanced you know, we cant just add the Death Star to the game and let everyone get a ship that can blow up anything. If we give them a shitload of hull no one will ever use a freighter again cause the capital ships will be superior traders, just think of it this way. They have a lot of hull but most of it is used up by it's very big equipment. The graphics will be large. Saying they will not be powerful is just wrong. They wont be good for playing solo but I assure you they will be very powerful in team combats.
The capital ships currently in the game are all uber AIs, you cant compare players to them. They arent strong because of the ship, they are strong because of what's in the ship.

I see no need for any name change and I really dont see why it would be embarassing. You are free not to use them but Im totally sure you will just like everyone else cause they really will be very good.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:32 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Nurokourri
Level: 5049

Its just people still wanting Capital Ships to be immensely broken in damage, shields, AND hull. Yeah, thats not going to happen people, so just give up the argument already...

The Capital Ship is the "head of the fleet" and, by this definition, should be relatively powerful, but not to some insane extent. As the head of the fleet, it gives bonuses to the lower ships in the fleet, both statistically in-game and psychologically in real life. Just think of Star Sonata's Capital Ships being more similar to the Star Wars Capital Ships designed for fleet combat.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:35 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Domeshot
Level: 4475

A battle thatch with an MD and the correct augs can take him down in 3-4 minutes.

The thatch warps in followed by healers and other suppor--- ahh eff this how about this

In Dark Space when you have reached end-game (which takes a lot longer than star sonata does) you're allowed to pilot three types of ships which are fucking expensive, and fucking awesome.

For one race, there's a Hive. It has twice the repair bots of a repair ship... But it turns very very slow and moves very very slow. It has an immense amount of damage, and fair shields (only fair) so you need other repair people to help it.

The other two are similar; but that's not my point.

A Capital Ship should be able to totally turn the tide of the battle. It SHOULD take the place of 3-4 people because it takes a buttload to make.

The way you all are talking you seem like a cap ship should be no more powerful than say your average DS/Panther... lol... and a cap ship sohuld be ALL firepower and ALL shields with LITTLE movement.

Added in with this needs to be temporary wormholes, made only by cap ships.

Maybe not even regular weapons can be equipped (Such as TT... MD/Venu Jack) and you'd have to build them like base gear.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:16 am
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Sorry keyboard but that's simple not possible, it would break the game.

A capital ship will be able to turn the tide of a battle though. In team oriented content you will be more powerful with a capital ship in your group then you are without one.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 am
Team: Sykes
Main: PlasmitetheSecond
Level: 858

yes, but since field gens shut down when u die, and their shield will SUCK, they will effectively be one shot by ubers, or even in combat theyll be targeted and pooned. all they will do is waste ShM time.

way to totally ruin a concept waited on for years admins

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:50 am
Team: Capitalists
Main: Decimus
Level: 971

Here is an idea: maybe capital ships can be like unforges, unable to equip weapons but have massive shielding, aura generators and fighter bays to compensate? If they are going to be weakass DPS anyways, you might as well take it away altogether and turn them into a solid as a rock support ship.

Edit:

Another alternative would be to give them built in weapons that are very strong, but are extremely hard to use. So it would be like in star wars where if a fighter gets hit by a turbo laser from a star destroyer, it gets blown to smithereens, but actually hitting the fighter is a completely different story.

This would make capital ships ideal against stationary targets such as bases, but almost completely useless against any fighter with a half decent pilot.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:53 am
Main: Tengu
Level: 866

Who said their shield will suck? A berserker (or what ever they are becoming) could be in a cap ship. Then they will get resistance bonuses and shield bonus. No one said that the Fleet Focus people will be the only ones in cap ships.

And since we don't know about the missiles or the Fleet Focus gear or cap ship gear, we can't really say they will suck. The missiles could be uber ammo using weapons, the Fleet Master fighters could be little Panthers, and their gear could be really big and really heavy and really good. Like an OS Misd or OS PoT.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:02 am
Team: MAD+
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967

Russell wrote:
So CAPITAL SHIPs is a misnomer.

It has to be balanced you know, we cant just add the Death Star to the game and let everyone get a ship that can blow up anything. If we give them a shitload of hull no one will ever use a freighter again cause the capital ships will be superior traders, just think of it this way. They have a lot of hull but most of it is used up by it's very big equipment. The graphics will be large. Saying they will not be powerful is just wrong. They wont be good for playing solo but I assure you they will be very powerful in team combats.
The capital ships currently in the game are all uber AIs, you cant compare players to them. They arent strong because of the ship, they are strong because of what's in the ship.

I see no need for any name change and I really dont see why it would be embarassing. You are free not to use them but Im totally sure you will just like everyone else cause they really will be very good.

So its a ship only for pvp.. and uber runs? doesnt really increase the use of a fleet master..

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:52 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Bluejayek
Level: 3919

If cap ships are going to be the general size of lyceum gaurdian.. I believe they need some sort of inbuilt sheild bonus. Whether it comes from capital ship only sheilds that are very good, or a base stat on the capital ship that gives +25% or something to sheilds doesn't matter, but they will need some sheilds...

But aside from that lets stop trying to compsoe ideas to make capital ships usable until we acually get them ingame or on test... I think they probably will be pretty powerful :)

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next