Dev Team
Main: SAL 9000
Level: 900

Post Client 2: Base control
I have started updating the server to make it ready for improved control of bases for client 2. The following suggestion seems like a good point to start:

RISC wrote:
I recommend the following options for base security (for client 2):

A base has 3 security settings: Docking, Construction and Mangement. Each can be set to "Me" or a team rank, or "Any" in the case of Docking. Management can only be set to Operator or higher.

Docking privilege allows you to dock at the base and trade in the trading bay, as is the case now.

Construction privilege allows you to transfer items/money to the base, transfer unequipped items (not money) from the base, with the exception of rations and nukes, and to start - but not cancel - construction tasks. You can only transfer items to your ship; you can NOT toss them directly.

Management privilege gives you full control of the base.

Each of these has its own activity log; an action is entered into the log of the lowest privilege that would allow that action.

Please discuss.

-Slicer

I have now implemented 3 separate logs of base activities, corresponding to the 3 privilege levels suggested above. Each log is as long as the current log. This change will probably be included in the next server patch.

Before I start the more serious work of implementing actual separate control levels, I would like to hear more opinions on how people would like the base control interface to be. Things to discuss include the following:

1. Is there a need for more than 3 control levels? Less?

2. Which control level should each activity belong to? Activities include
- Docking at base
- Viewing base trading bay
- Viewing base logs, inventory & control info
- Viewing base colony info
- Trading at base
- Moving items to/from base
- Tossing items from base
- Moving credits to/from base
- Equipping/unequipping gear
- Installing BPs
- Starting construction tasks
- Pausing/resuming construction tasks
- Cancelling construction tasks
- Setting base description
- Changing commods traded by base, their prices, and buy/sell limits
- Making base aggressive / non-aggressive
- Changing base name
- Changing base privileges
- Transferring base (this will always be owner only, of course)

3. Which log should each event be logged in? For the most part, activities should be logged in the log corresponding to the control level they belong to, but there might be exceptions (and "viewing" activities won't get logged at all). In addition to the above activities, a number of other events need to be entered into some log:
- Completion of construction tasks
- Worker strikes due to lack of rations
- Unequipping items due to lack of workers
- Base kills/takeovers
- Trades with colony

4. Should the different logs be displayed one after another or all together (chronologically)? Currently, they are displayed one after another when you first enter the base; any subsequent events are displayed chronologically.

5. Anything I might have forgotten. :P

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:41 am
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

Post Re: Client 2: Base control
SAL 9000 wrote:

- Docking at base no need, if one is docked then it only matters if they do anything, but if anything, make it docking
- Viewing base trading bay no need, but management
- Viewing base logs, inventory & control info no need but management
- Viewing base colony info no need, but management
- Trading at base put in any
- Moving items to/from base management
- Tossing items from base management
- Moving credits to/from base management
- Equipping/unequipping gear management
- Installing BPs construction
- Starting construction tasks construction
- Pausing/resuming construction tasks construction
- Cancelling construction tasks construction
- Setting base description any
- Changing commods traded by base, their prices, and buy/sell limits management
- Making base aggressive / non-aggressive management??????
- Changing base name any
- Changing base privileges management
- Transferring base (this will always be owner only, of course) no need, because im sure this was planned and both parties know what is happening, but "any"

3. Which log should each event be logged in? For the most part, activities should be logged in the log corresponding to the control level they belong to, but there might be exceptions (and "viewing" activities won't get logged at all). In addition to the above activities, a number of other events need to be entered into some log:
- Base kills/takeovers
- Trades with colony

4. Should the different logs be displayed one after another or all together (chronologically)? Currently, they are displayed one after another when you first enter the base; any subsequent events are displayed chronologically.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Main: Scybot 010
Level: 5469

- Docking at base no need, if one is docked then it only matters if they do anything, but if anything, make it docking

I think it would be nice if you see who is CURRENTLY docked at the base, no matter if they're offline.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:59 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 6543

1. Is there a need for more than 3 control levels? Less? i think three might do fine.

- Docking at base trade log
- Viewing base trading bay any
- Viewing base logs, inventory & control info management
- Viewing base colony info management
- Trading at base any
- Moving items to/from base management
- Tossing items from base management
- Moving credits to/from base management
- Equipping/unequipping gear management
- Installing BPs construction
- Starting construction tasks construction
- Pausing/resuming construction tasks construction
- Cancelling construction tasks construction
- Setting base description any
- Changing commods traded by base, their prices, and buy/sell limits management
- Making base aggressive / non-aggressive management
- Changing base name management
- Changing base privileges owner
- Transferring base (this will always be owner only, of course)

3. Which log should each event be logged in?
all construction logs should be in one log, all management in another, and all trades/docking in the third. this will make things much cleaner. what we also need is the ability to add multiple items to the construction order, spamming a button gets tiring and its hard to tell how many are built sometimes. making that display "Item Name" (number)( % for one) (% for all) this aught to clean up many things for bases and make them much more functional and user friendly. and on top of that it will make things a whole lot easyer to track. keep docking and trade together since slaves can go funky... management in one (tossing,equiping,moving,cash ect) and everything construction related to one log. i love this and im glad its getting an overhaul. thankyou thankyou THANKYOU! /histerics

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:50 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

Post Re: Client 2: Base control
SAL 9000 wrote:
I have started updating the server to make it ready for improved control of bases for client 2. The following suggestion seems like a good point to start:

RISC wrote:
I recommend the following options for base security (for client 2):

A base has 3 security settings: Docking, Construction and Mangement. Each can be set to "Me" or a team rank, or "Any" in the case of Docking. Management can only be set to Operator or higher.

Docking privilege allows you to dock at the base and trade in the trading bay, as is the case now.

Construction privilege allows you to transfer items/money to the base, transfer unequipped items (not money) from the base, with the exception of rations and nukes, and to start - but not cancel - construction tasks. You can only transfer items to your ship; you can NOT toss them directly.

Management privilege gives you full control of the base.

Each of these has its own activity log; an action is entered into the log of the lowest privilege that would allow that action.

Please discuss.

-Slicer

I have now implemented 3 separate logs of base activities, corresponding to the 3 privilege levels suggested above. Each log is as long as the current log. This change will probably be included in the next server patch.

Before I start the more serious work of implementing actual separate control levels, I would like to hear more opinions on how people would like the base control interface to be. Things to discuss include the following:

1. Is there a need for more than 3 control levels? Less?

- Docking at baseanyone can dock, it is annoying when i am being attacked by aggro ai and can't dock at the only playerbase/base in the gal because the owner set it to "team" or "me"
- Viewing base trading bay"Docking"
- Viewing base logs, inventory & control info"management/construction"
- Viewing base colony infonone, i think this should be left with the base owner to manage.
- Trading at base"Docking"
- Moving items to/from base"management/construction. possibly another option a "transfer "to base" only
- Tossing items from base"only player should do this"
- Moving credits to/from base"management" and a "transfer to base option" included in the items moving, eg a:

"Transfer Money/Items To base only" tab to choose.

- Equipping/unequipping gearItems should be set individually for this, eg. a box when you rightclick giving the owner the option of "unequippable by others"
- Installing BPsConstruction
- Starting construction tasksConstruction
- Pausing/resuming construction tasksConstruction
- Cancelling construction tasksBase owner only, people have been threatened with this by directors counc officers etc. in the past
- Setting base descriptionBase owner only
- Changing commods traded by base, their prices, and buy/sell limitsManagement, or a new tab called "Trade list"
- Making base aggressive / non-aggressive"Management"
- Changing base name"Base owner only"
- Changing base privileges"Base Owner only"
- Transferring base (this will always be owner only, of course)"owner only :p

- Base kills/takeovers
- Trades with colony

have a subtab where you can choose to view "only contstruciton log" etc.

a "player privelage" option.

allow other people to use these option without joining your team, or having base team base.

command line.

/privelages "thebattler36"

a popup window will appear similar to the slave window.

options are:

"Construction"
"Change Trading"
"Equip items"
"Transfer cash/items"
"equip bp's"

anything i might have forgotten also goes in the list.

a command line

/remove privelages "thebattler36"

will remove ALL the privelages of a player for ALL of your bases.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Muffasa
Level: 7608

or you could implement syslog style logging... with configuring....

5 logging facilities...

and every station owner can configure, where he wants certain logs to go...

like... one station could be configured:

slave activity -> log_1
player sales -> log_2
constructions -> log_3
item transfer -> log_4

on another station:

player sales -> log_1
construction -> log_2
item transfer -> log_2 ( yes... both to log_2)
slave activity -> log_3

another good option would be not logging player/ai dock/undock messages, where that player or ai didnt do anything

atm its like

docked: blahblahblah
undocked: blahblahblah

some may want to know, if a player has visited their shop
but random ai docking and undocking is just a piece of information that takes up only space... some may not want it in their logs

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:36 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 6543

- Docking at base anyone can dock, it is annoying when i am being attacked by aggro ai and can't dock at the only playerbase/base in the gal because the owner set it to "team" or "me"

that is for a reason..and if you can dock..you can undock and will be going close to the speed of the base...its a handy trick for scanning. id prefer current docking to stay the same. also i dont like people hiding in bases... if theres a problem suck it up an beat that bastard down..or hide in an ai base. there must be costs to loosing stuff and it must be possible to loose stuff. im not saying everyone should loose stuff all the time. just that i think base docking should stay the way it is. otherwise there is no skill involved to scanning closed bases. (pain in the ass matching speed shit...)

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:51 pm
Main: _7_
Level: 5179

With regards to keeping track of constructions, what about having the ability to "tag" constructions? That way you can directly see what's what, or add info such as "will finish in XX". Not sure how hard that would be, but it'd be useful....That or make it so when viewing the base description, there's a scrollbar or something to see anything that's too long for the current allocated space.

EDIT: A question I have, will base logs be getting changed? Extended or given the ability to export them to a notepad file? atm I don't think it's nearly good enough to go with all the new features.

Last edited by Happy_Tree_Friend on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:32 pm
Main: Thummmper
Level: 3066

Regarding setting base aggro, I don't think it should be LOGGED as management: it's not an important even that should be kept track of, and it can be done many times without anyone even being docked at the base, thus old log events would be erased unseen.

-Slicer

It IS an IMPORTANT event! An MUST be logged and kept for at least 24 hours. Not only that, it should also be logged in RED so it stands out.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 pm
Main: Thummmper
Level: 3066

I've make several suggestion re base player and colony interfacing. Especially a multi tiered player/colony interface for pricing. I will not repost as its somewhere in the history suggestion files.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:37 pm
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

but yeah, I like it

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Team: pantalones
Main: Illuminaughty
Level: 2232

Thummper, I think Historical Records keeps the logs on the base for a longer amount of time, just like it keeps Black Boxes from disappearing for a longer time. IIRC

*Staring at admins for C2 preview*

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm
Main: NukeACow
Level: 7563

a "player privelage" option.

allow other people to use these option without joining your team, or having base team base.

command line.

/privelages "thebattler36"

a popup window will appear similar to the slave window.

options are:

"Construction"
"Change Trading"
"Equip items"
"Transfer cash/items"
"equip bp's"

anything i might have forgotten also goes in the list.

a command line

/remove privelages "thebattler36"

will remove ALL the privelages of a player for ALL of your bases.

Agreed

more advanced constructions would be nice, if you could tag them to say who is building what on your own, and when you click on them maybe a little window to say how much has been spent on it, in how long it is going to need new commodities, estimated time until finish.

comments on bases should be in its own tab, instead of the 3 lines or so at the top of the main window, that way more can be said and possibly rules of the base could be put there so people know what to do and not to do and what is whos and such.

Last edited by Nukeacow on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 8518

Thummper, I think Historical Records keeps the logs on the base for a longer amount of time, just like it keeps Black Boxes from disappearing for a longer time. IIRC

i thought this too, which is why ERMAN had historical records 100 before the reset, but it doesnt have this effect on the base logs...

-ERMAN

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW