Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Main: Tengu
Level: 866

That's client side lag with the roids and mining.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm
Main: PhysicalAbuse V
Level: 2006

/hugs his roids...asteroids not hemorrhoids :lol:

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:17 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

really? 5 seconds after i read this i jumped into a asteroid-heavy system, my framerate dropped(of course), and my autopilot missed the same warp twice! bad luck or what?!

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Nurokourri
Level: 5049

25866 wrote:

really? 5 seconds after i read this i jumped into a asteroid-heavy system, my framerate dropped(of course), and my autopilot missed the same warp twice! bad luck or what?!

That or, as was already stated, its client side. You had low FPS due to graphical lag and, thus, your client-side autopilot failed due to an inability to turn and thrust properly by being based on number of frames.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:32 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Yes, autopilot is done on your computer, so when your fps drops way down from all the asteroids, that's when it messed up. If you want your AP to not break, then reduce your screen resolution or get a better graphics card. Of course, sometimes AP also messes up due to net lag, when it starts to go before you've received all the info for a new galaxy, but that is a 3rd issue.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Team: Traders
Main: Urqa Ki Aka Kusa
Level: 5113

Yes, autopilot is done on your computer, so when your fps drops way down from all the asteroids, that's when it messed up. If you want your AP to not break, then reduce your screen resolution or get a better graphics card. Of course, sometimes AP also messes up due to net lag, when it starts to go before you've received all the info for a new galaxy, but that is a 3rd issue.

OR you could allow us to turn certain special functions off.

And does it lag if you rename the Asteroids files, so they dont show up?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Wasup999998
Level: 1921

I've heard a few questions about its taking Jeff so long to fix the multithreading problems, so I figured I would give ya'll a few links on the basics of multithreading for Linux in c++.

Overview of multithreading, explains some of the complexities (later on in the article shows how to multithread in windows): http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Cplusplus/Multithreading-in-C/

Linux threading Part 1: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/l-posix1.xml
Linux threading Part 2: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/l-posix2.xml
Linux threading Part 3: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/l-posix3.xml

Speaking from the little background I've had with C++ programming, any program with multiple threads begins to get very complex, very quickly. While the quickly written multithreaded program looks pretty simple, once you begin attempting to protect from threads crossing each other, things start to get difficult. (See the part called "Synchronized swimming" in Part 1 that I listed above)

Ha!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3931

Hmm turninh off radar seems to help. Went from Neotolemus to Kastrophia and the AP broken only once, in Sol. The prevoius trip is broke many times.

Still it would be less hassel if the game had the ability to navigate from system A to remote system B without having to navigate from warp to warp.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:07 am
Profile YIM
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

one question there is like 500000 things pending on a patch that would improve this game, i might sound pissed bc i am, I CANT even play this game bc the lag is horrid, can we get a patch, HOW HARD could that be...take down server...install....BAM...u get the jist, we are all sick of this lag the #1 thing on your heads admins should be Lag got to fix that lag, Lag will make people Quit this game before anything else

Trev

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:09 pm
Main: MasterComp112
Level: 656

Probably because every time the admins chuck a patch at the server most people bitch and complain that they messed up, so, be quiet (well...stop typing) and let them get it right or near damn perfect, or let them half-ass it and have most of the people complain.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:15 pm
Main: Hully
Level: 3812

Jeff has a magic wand. He will do a *swish* with it and a new update is ready and working.

And if that didn't work he has a red button that he presses to make all the lag disapear. :roll:

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:40 pm
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

Yes trevor we just throw the magic patch at it. Never mind actually making the patch first.

The lag wont be sorted until Jeff can get this working. The other things in the patch wont be much good if you cant enjoy them due to the lag.

Incidentally I type this after being stuck in a lag spike with my engines broken from a crit hit slowly drifting away from my drones.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2443

As we all know, MultiThreading is very complex, and if Jeff were to stay up day and night to finish it, then if he makes a mistake, then I'm pretty much sure that it will make the server decline into a worse state than it currently is in with this lag.

Yes, it's a pain, but if you keep thinking that soon it (should) be all over soon, then it makes it all that much better :)

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:24 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: Churlish
Level: 3152

Have you done any Root Cause Analysis on what caused the latest bout of lagging, I understand that you have put in a greater level of debugging into the code, and have identified the cause of the lag, but what was the trigger?

I am assuming it was a greater number of people using the client, or logging in, but has this been proved? just interested.

Also there are a few bugs that specifically can only be fixed by loggin out and in:
Slaves making a break for it out of your base when docking after cap.
The missions disappearing.
etc.

it may be a good idea in conjunction with working on the multi-threading to raise the priority of these bugs there-by reducing the number of logins and therefor the lag. just a thought.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:04 am
Main: Comet Chaser
Level: 2441

The server has been up for almost 2 days straight, looking at the logs as far as I can tell the server is never receiving the select character message from your client. It receives the initial connection and logs you in and sends the character list, but beyond that it never hears back from you.

I read somewhere on this forum that you'd tweaked the client log in code - this appears to be causing trouble for Tiscali UK broadband users, especially during 2pm-1am. I'm not the only one this has effected.

I've spoken to tiscali, via India, and they're claiming its nothing to do with them (of course).

Any chance of either looking at this area, or at least providing those of us with the log in problem an "old" client? Would be appreciated, not being able to log in makes me grumpy! ;)

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:12 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next