Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Main: Thummmper
Level: 3066

I was using a nVidia MX440 with 64MB of video RAM. I just upgraded to a nVidia 6200 chipset board with 256 MB RAM... my FPS jumped about 20 points and I no longer lag out when in battles where people are using lots of high graphic content weapons and I am no longer disabling anything in my IMG folder.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Urqa Ki Aka Kusa
Level: 5113

Original Soulless wrote:
Goz may be correct, but if thats the case then the System Requirements are fucked up.

I have a 64 MB Video Card, thats 4x what this game needs.

And i still get insane Graphics Problems, i get a low FPS, and thats all.

With a 16MB video card I can get around 22-28 FPS. I would suggest: lowering your resolution, running fewer programs, scanning for spyware/adware/viruses (I personally prefer Spybot Search and Destroy as well as AVG Free).

If you are running Vista that can also be an issue: I personally prefer Windows NT5.0 (Windows 2000) for only running Star Sonata, as it works properly without the increase in system usage by unnecessary software present in Vista and XP. You could also try disabling the Aero or Luna GUI of Vista/XP and using Classic.

As well, you have to consider what the game lists are minimum requirements: minimum won't get you very far.

im running XP with all the settings turned down.

Nothing is on my desktop as to not takeup any memory, nor does it have to draw every system cycle, i have 768 MB of Ram, 64MB Video Card, 40 GB Hard Drive with like 10 GB spare.

I have NO VIRUSES on the computer, AT ALL!!

No Keyloggers, i use Process Explorer to turn off anything that aint needed.

Its the way the shitty game engine is coded, some things can be done that use less resources and look almost as good or better then what is being us ed now.

And i shouldnt need a 256 MB card, i have a computer that has a 128 Card and runs SS like a pro, but i dont like that computer, and i wont play on it because it is my Cyber Schools Computer. :roll:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

you should check if you have any rootkit, they usually make some weird lag especially when the linked app as been removed (by an anti virus or anti spyware)

http://www.antirootkit.com/software/index.htm
check that site, there are plenty of informations

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:07 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I have created a new thread that can process lower priority incoming network messages. The section of code that processes incoming network messages is in the main server loop, and most of the things that are lagging out the server occur there, so handing the costly messages off to this new thread will cause the main loop to not lag from them.

So far I have just made it so handling chat messages are handed off to this new thread. This is up and running on test atm. The two next big ones to hand off will be the two log in events, "handle logon", and "select character". Basically I just need to add a bunch of locks around data that is accessed by anything I want to hand off. But most of the 2 second lags we get seem to be from people logging in, so if I can get everything going with no deadlocks or data corruption, then those will be fixed. Who cares if there's a two second delay when you log in, anyway? As long as the firing, warping, and docking is fast, that is what really matters.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:45 am
Profile WWW

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:23 am
Team: Spacing Guild
Main: FracOMac
Level: 3369

I have created a new thread that can process lower priority incoming network messages. The section of code that processes incoming network messages is in the main server loop, and most of the things that are lagging out the server occur there, so handing the costly messages off to this new thread will cause the main loop to not lag from them.

So far I have just made it so handling chat messages are handed off to this new thread. This is up and running on test atm. The two next big ones to hand off will be the two log in events, "handle logon", and "select character". Basically I just need to add a bunch of locks around data that is accessed by anything I want to hand off. But most of the 2 second lags we get seem to be from people logging in, so if I can get everything going with no deadlocks or data corruption, then those will be fixed. Who cares if there's a two second delay when you log in, anyway? As long as the firing, warping, and docking is fast, that is what really matters.

I barely understand what you're saying but it sounds good!

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7816

What task/job have you got running on hourly basis? Cause every hour we get some 5 minute lagmonster. I can assume it's DB backup, or something??

This is the main lag everyone is complaining about. I'm gonna record the reaction of people on vent next time one of those comes along... they go berserk.

So whatever is wrong it's cause of that automated task...

I have reasons for why I do things.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Muffasa
Level: 7626

on mysql... i'd turn on the log_slow_queries option for a lil time.. and then analyze that....

if the DB is the bottleneck... told ya... get real hardware... get SCSI, instead of puny SATA :p

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Team: oVo's Sanctuary
Main: .,+*"I.+**oVo**+.I"*+,.
Level: 2793

Post Lag feeding!
It may or may not be relevant or even connected, but i noticed several times when i opened up a some of my storage thatches, that my other computer running SS for an alt, lagged also when i was opening them thatches, it could of course been coincidence, because i'm seeing a lot of lag anyway recently.

The other computer does run off of the same cable modem though, so i suppose maybe that would also be a likely factor. I thought i would post this observation though anyway.

-oVo

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Test is now up and running with multi-threaded delayed handling of:

selectcharacter
logon
textmessage
gettopplayers
getgalmap
gettopteams
charactercreate

These are all the worst lag creators according to all the logs and now since they are passed to a separate thread, they no longer will lag anything else besides the handling of these messages. (Meaning logging in or sending messages might get lags, but firing, docking, etc, should see much much less lag.)

Test is a much slower computer than the main servers, so playing on it even with this new code will probably seem a little slow, but you shouldn't see too many big lag spikes and as long as it doesn't crash, then this new code should run very fast once we patch it into the main server.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Team: Traders
Main: mrwoo
Level: 8291

jeff i notice that liquid is still running in sync with main server,
not knowing much about this but surly the 2 servers talking to each other would create lag or am i wrong just a thought from a novice.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 am

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 pm
Profile WWW

Woo i was right. ETA until we can have multiple threads on live server? Lag is reaching an unbearable point.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:14 pm
Main: Thummmper
Level: 3066

Jeff you might also consider putting the Slave maneuvers (Mining and Trade) in the slow thread. War Slaves should remain in the faster threads.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next