Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:04 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

woot!

+1 Good Idea for PA :mrgreen:

Actually, Nuro said that idea first :P

Nuromishi wrote:
Isn't it possible to just make it so you cannot slave a ship if a non-in-built aura generator is equipped?

-- Blizzara

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 6543

Making non-built in field generators not work on slaves sounds like a viable alternative. Let me think about it a bit. I might go with that.

now that thats settled...any chance we could move the discussion onto how to make the higher tech capships usefull enough in a multitude of ways (not just as aura buffers XD thats boring! sitting in a ship afk wile other people do a boss is not playing imho.) such as perhaps allowing them as battle-type ships? add a third aug and perhaps interesting resists.. and hull! these things are so massive you cannot help but hit them. and at their lower speeds these things get raped...you cannot escape. what is the reason for making them usefull purely as aura buffers and not allow them to be usefull in some sort of other function that is actualy Fun,inviting,interesting,profitable,offer a unique style of game-play?

as i see it they could be used several ways. since you can only equip 1 aura generator...is there a chance that they could have an aura generator that effects only capships that gives them a huge hull bonus letting them use the larger items in SS? such as the Dark Fist? the dark fist is just one example of items that are huge but might be made usable for capships and offer a unique style of gameplay to users on SS. cap ships atm are slow,vulnerable, have only two augs (wich doesnt make too much sence for the higher tech ones.) why not introduce a totaly new style of gameplay where people use these capships for fighting..perhaps a set of cap ships that can use auras. and a set of capships that cannot, and instead have 3 aug slots and who's bonuses and stats are edited to fit a fighting ship instead of expecting players to sit there or follow along to an uber run and do nothing but sit there.. i think this is a misuse of time because having one more dps can make the criticle diffrence between a successful run and a run where everyone dies..same goes for healers. capships sacrifice a lot allready: they are slow so at a disadvantage to just about any other T20 since they cannot run,dodge and have lower resists.

atm their hull space is laughable..and realy does not match the size of the cap ships in existance these days...i have nearly as much hullspace on a rosie multiple times smaller then the capship.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

JeffL wrote:
Making non-built in field generators not work on slaves sounds like a viable alternative. Let me think about it a bit. I might go with that.

now that thats settled...any chance we could move the discussion onto how to make the higher tech capships usefull enough in a multitude of ways (not just as aura buffers XD thats boring! sitting in a ship afk wile other people do a boss is not playing imho.) such as perhaps allowing them as battle-type ships? add a third aug and perhaps interesting resists.. and hull! these things are so massive you cannot help but hit them. and at their lower speeds these things get raped...you cannot escape. what is the reason for making them usefull purely as aura buffers and not allow them to be usefull in some sort of other function that is actualy Fun,inviting,interesting,profitable,offer a unique style of game-play?

as i see it they could be used several ways. since you can only equip 1 aura generator...is there a chance that they could have an aura generator that effects only capships that gives them a huge hull bonus letting them use the larger items in SS? such as the Dark Fist? the dark fist is just one example of items that are huge but might be made usable for capships and offer a unique style of gameplay to users on SS. cap ships atm are slow,vulnerable, have only two augs (wich doesnt make too much sence for the higher tech ones.) why not introduce a totaly new style of gameplay where people use these capships for fighting..perhaps a set of cap ships that can use auras. and a set of capships that cannot, and instead have 3 aug slots and who's bonuses and stats are edited to fit a fighting ship instead of expecting players to sit there or follow along to an uber run and do nothing but sit there.. i think this is a misuse of time because having one more dps can make the criticle diffrence between a successful run and a run where everyone dies..same goes for healers. capships sacrifice a lot allready: they are slow so at a disadvantage to just about any other T20 since they cannot run,dodge and have lower resists.

atm their hull space is laughable..and realy does not match the size of the cap ships in existance these days...i have nearly as much hullspace on a rosie multiple times smaller then the capship.

what he said.

2 aug slots is fine for an aura buffering drone that flollows the group but please let cap ships fight.
Built in damage boost, a bit of speed? 3 aug slots (arent we greedy asking for the same amount every other ship class gets) A half decent engine? That capital engine for the higher techs just doesnt cut it.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:21 pm
Main: Nurokourri
Level: 5049

Anything more than 2 aug slots on a Capital ship is just overpowered.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 pm
Team: UnderDawgs
Main: malakai69
Level: 1032

Anything more than 2 aug slots on a Capital ship is just overpowered.

Agreed, I think the thing everyone is still failing o realise is that there is ALOT of cap ship content in the works, Cap ship only weaps etc.
Allthough i agree that te engine might be a bit underpowered for the higher tech ships tho, maybe on the higher tech ships you can add Multiple Engines using some sort of log formula to keep the power from going spastic. I like the Idea of having say the earth force battle cruiser having 4 cap ship engines , getting 46% increased elec regen and say using log 4 as a base calc for the engine power 2 times the thrust and turning. it would also look cool to have 4 engine exuast plumes out the back of it. The extra energy regen would help to make them a little more powerfull on the battlefield, which is one of thier main down falls atm.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Yes, I will just disable capital ship only field generators on slaved capital ships. That is a much better idea.

Capital ships are going to get the best mining weapons in the game. Over time, I will be increasing the shields on large targets and bases and also adding vulnerability to mining, making mining the weapon of choice against large targets. Further more, capital ships will be able to deploy capital ship only drones, more fighters and missiles than normal ships, special tractor beams, and other things. A capital ship will never be better than a heavy fighter at killing heavy fighters, it will always be mainly in a support role and a lead role in attacking bases and other capital ships.

I think right now I will also increase the weight and speed on the capital ships and make some "Traveling" field gens for them similar to the berserker ones. Something along the lines of 75 speed, -75% shields and energy.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Cornado
Level: 3235

mmmm yeah my slaved battle cruiser in lyceum has a monkeh safeguard on it and itr pritty broken on how much it increases shields... we used it to kill lyceum guard afew times

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:25 am

Could we see something besides an energy bank and shield reduction? Thats just asking for potential abuse on faster capships that could be used to range and kite AI and generating problems on the higher tech, slower capships that make lose a few hundred thousand shield and energy bank they must wait to regenerate.

Just reduce their resists and damage-output capabilities so the speed buff cannot be abused and ships are not penalized for moving quicker through galaxies with potentially no enemies in them.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:20 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 6543

Could we see something besides an energy bank and shield reduction? Thats just asking for potential abuse on faster capships that could be used to range and kite AI and generating problems on the higher tech, slower capships that make lose a few hundred thousand shield and energy bank they must wait to regenerate.

Just reduce their resists and damage-output capabilities so the speed buff cannot be abused and ships are not penalized for moving quicker through galaxies with potentially no enemies in them.

i agree.reducing resists and damage would be preferable to energy bank and sheild. and you can add 3 slots if the built-in bonuses were changed from what they are currently. they are too high if you use the ones they have currently. my point was that you make two buildable versions. one like the ones we have now except able to use auras. and one that is setup diffrently that can battle. 3 augs and way lower built-in bonuses and lower resists with more hull space. atm the hull space they get is just not proportionate to their size. its like capships are realy a lower tech ship an the rest have multi-demensional capabilitys that let em store as much as the huge capship things..

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:26 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Capital ships are not going to get 3 aug slots. They are just simply not intended to be as good for generic ship to ship combat as heavy fighters. Their extra bonuses come from all the capital ship only equipment that is going in.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Their engine is balanced as tech 20. I just made it tech 10 so people could use the lower end cap ships. I think it's fine.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Goz
Level: 1564

Their engine is balanced as tech 20. I just made it tech 10 so people could use the lower end cap ships. I think it's fine.

yeah about that........XD

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:07 am
Profile WWW

The engine is fine also, but it feels like the player I am just being given an engine that may not necessarily relate exactly to my play style: if I decide to use tracking lasers on a capship I may not need as much turning, or if I plan to use something such as the Dark Fist (once it is fixed) I may want less thrust and more turning.

While in-built items or extra gear is fine (Fluid, Death Striker, Reaver), forcing the player to use one particular engine on an entire line of ships is out of place. I would much rather see Capital-only engines or engine BP drop from Green Battleships, DGs, and some high-DF drop tables (i.e. ubers).

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:01 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next