Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Weekly Update 7-8
Voom is scolding me for not doing my weekly updates, so I will try to be good and do as he instructs.

The main reason I haven't been dong weekly updates is that as I spend more and more time on the business/management side of SS I get less time to spend programming and doing content, so I get a little embarrassed that I have so little to report. But I can talk about what I have been working on and some SS stuff in general.

First off, client2 is coming along really well. The GUI is totally done and the models and visage system are gong in right now. Jon is now working on client2 things as well as our contractor and I'm hoping we can be feature complete in 1 or 2 months.

The last major patch had a lot of code changes under the hood. This was all rewriting of some hacky data structures that were making multithreading very difficult. I was working on updating and testing the multithreaded code some last week, but then I stupidly upgraded my Ubuntu box to Hardy Heron which totally broken my dev environment. I've been trying to get things working again for the last couple days, and probably today I'm going to wipe everything and reinstall the last version.

The second DB server that we added a little while ago seems to have helped a lot with the lag. We still get occasional lag spikes while doing DB queries, and that is the main thing that my multithreading code is trying to address.

Overall, the near-term plan is to address lag, disconnects, and bugs to get the game smooth and working for everyone, improve the new player experience, add client2, then have some explosive growth.

We have also been discussing some game mechanics rebalances that we would like to do before launching client2 and the hoped-for explosive growth we get once that launches. Under discussion are rebalancing the energies yet again, reworking the formulas for augs, and reworking the visibility/stealth formulas. I know that players generally hate it when things like this get changed, since they have planned and worked for things assuming the current stats and mechanics. We will give plenty of advance warning (hopefully a month at least) once we've decided on what changes we want to make and give the players a chance to give feedback.

The other day, we hit 854 paying subs which is a new record. The subscription growth has been pretty flat for the last few months since the Comcast thing hit and I stopped advertising in the US since I figure why spend money on advertising when half the people are getting disconnects and are not likely to have a favorable impression of the game. We had 16 new p2p sign ups in the last 6 days, which is pretty decent, and I hope a testament to the very much improved preload.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Terran Empire
Main: Fool
Level: 3024

Post Re: Weekly Update 7-8
What problems with Hardy? Been working like gold for me on all 5 of my systems. Well, my laptop took a few adjustments before I got it all working.

Nice update, and it's good to hear from you, and all of the devs about the work being done on stability and content.

While you may not think you have much to update, and you may not, simply saying even that, would help go miles towards better relations with the players. If nothing else, they let us know that we aren't being ignored or forgotten.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

After I installed Hardy, the server will no longer compile under KDevelop. It keeps giving me errors about a circular dependency in the project although I can't find any such thing and didn't change any code -- just did the update.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

Post Client2 Screens
Here are some client2 screens:

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Team: MAD+
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967

Those pictures reminds me of the ones Code Herder once took..
Besides that, what about the text ontop of the nice and cool pictures?

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:09 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

The buttons look incredibly ****ty, and the pictures arent high res...

Please change that, and the Chat Tabs suck hardcore.

Otherwise, great job Jeff, its good to see SS grow and prosper.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:44 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

If your screen is too small, you need to click on the image a second time to get it full size.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

I beg of you Jeff, send me a pm with those images as an attachment.

My internet has a filter that I cant remove and it is a nightmare for loading images. It filters photobucket and similair websites and any image that is uploaded from those sites as well.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:29 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

JeffL wrote:
If your screen is too small, you need to click on the image a second time to get it full size.

I clicked on the image, they still look shit.

The Buttons and Background pictures look horrible, not high quality.

But good job on getting C2 done.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:18 pm
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Its a work in progress, obviously it lacks polish that will go in later.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 6435

absolutely wonderful to hear back from our devs. and thanks so much for giving us warning for energies and such.. it does hurt quite a bit when an expensive setup that took a wile to build goes out the window. :p

hopefully C2 will give us that explosive growth you were talking about. i can hardly wait! im sure C2 will be totally awsome when its out.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: BWO Com.
Level: 3728

I know this really isnt the place for it, but if you live in the US and can get Bellsouth DSL get it, thats what i use and i dont Disconnect at all hardly

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile YIM
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

or get Jays fix, Anyways, Jeff when you talk about revamp, is it a huge nerf of a small one...

O and What do admins think about somthing like this.. the nerf to energies when it comes will be realy harsh. Bc To be realy fair Messing with the enegies is a big deal , although they should be tweaked....it will cause alot of problems so an aug reset wouldnt be 2 bad.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 pm
PR Admin

trevor54 wrote:
or get Jays fix, Anyways, Jeff when you talk about revamp, is it a huge nerf of a small one...

O and What do admins think about somthing like this.. the nerf to energies when it comes will be realy harsh. Bc To be realy fair Messing with the enegies is a big deal , although they should be tweaked....it will cause alot of problems so an aug reset wouldnt be 2 bad.

Don't go and assume things again, it's a revamp, not neccisarily a nerf.

An aug reset is an idea that is left open everytime we make a big change, but no promises are made. Aug resets for every ship on an acc are quite detrimental to the balance we have, it suddenly inflates the supply of augmenters that used to be either permanent, or there'd be a base-cost involved in unequiping them. Many slave-form ships also suddenly enter the market making them easier to obtain than they should, and taking away much of the reward of obtaining these ships or augs as everyone's selling them suddenly.

I'm thinking we could make a an aug tweak mission and give every character a neurobound item somehow that is required by the mission to complete. This way players could only reset a single ship, they could choose which one they'd want to have reset.

I'm not entirely up to date on what the aug reset policy is and what the precedent is for this issue. But to awnser your question of wether there'll be an aug reset, no promises.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

I assume because most Nerfs in SS arent light..from my experiance

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next