Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Post HAL's January Update
There will be lots of new goodies for the next big patch.

Combat Mechanics
Weapon projectiles and laser beams will now hit any HOSTILE target in their path. This will open up a whole new realm of combat possibilities, such as using a tanked capital ship to protect team mates in light fighters.

Stasis timer
You will now be able to see your shield bar regenerating while your ship is in stasis.

Momentum weapon effects
Weapons will now have the ability to impart momentum to the firer or the victim. For example if you shoot a weapon with a knockback effect when it hits the target it push it away. Currently there are no player obtainable weapons implemented with this effect yet, but if none receive this ability in the rebalance, you can at least expect to see some new items become available in the future.

Galaxy Ownership
The new territorial ownership system has been implemented. This means that it will be ready and good to go for the new universe when it comes.

Cash
Credit drops have been significantly increased on bosses and ubers for next universe.

Drones
Most of the proposed drone changes have been implemented. Most importantly, if you scoop a drone and redeploy it, it will remember how many shields it had. Drone shields will regenerate while stored in your ship.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm
Main: Scybot 010
Level: 5469

Post Re: HAL's January Update
HAL wrote:
Combat Mechanics
Weapon projectiles and laser beams will now hit any hostile target in their path. This will open up a whole new realm of combat possibilities, such as using a tanked capital ship to protect team mates in light fighters.

Awesome, does that mean if everyone sits on a capital ship, just the capital ship gets hit?
HAL wrote:
Momentum weapon effects
Weapons will now have the ability to impart momentum to the firer or the victim. For example if you shoot a weapon with a knockback effect when it hits the target it push it away. Currently there are no player obtainable weapons implemented with this effect yet, but if none receive this ability in the rebalance, you can at least expect to see some new items become available in the future.

Awesome as well, but do RoF and Damage affect this, if so, how? Will the hull type play a role, or the weight? (i.e. Capital ships/heavy ships don't get pushed as much as light fighter/light ships)

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:54 pm
Dev Team

longname wrote:
Awesome, does that mean if everyone sits on a capital ship, just the capital ship gets hit?

Yes, unless you use an ethereal weapon.

Quote:
Awesome as well, but do RoF and Damage affect this, if so, how? Will the hull type play a role, or the weight? (i.e. Capital ships/heavy ships don't get pushed as much as light fighter/light ships)

Currently its just a set value, though I do think its a good idea to have the weight of your target affect it.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:05 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: _7_
Level: 5179

HAL wrote:
T
Galaxy Ownership
The new territorial ownership system has been implemented. This means that it will be ready and good to go for the new universe when it comes.

With regards to this, I have a rough idea of what is involved, but is there a thread or somesuch where it is outlined in full? I tried searching but to no avail...Also, a question about the drone thing. Say I have five drones, I deploy four, one takes some damage, so I scoop it, then deploy another. Will this newly deployed drone default to the one with full/highest shields?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:07 pm
Main: Ivelios
Level: 6452

HAL wrote:

Combat Mechanics
Weapon projectiles and laser beams will now hit any hostile target in their path. This will open up a whole new realm of combat possibilities, such as using a tanked capital ship to protect team mates in light fighters.

Okay, everything else sounds alight, except for this change.

So let's say an MF pick fires a projectile at me, I evade it, but it goes over my drones. Does that mean the drone will get hit? Because higher level AI do enough damage to kill most drones very quickly (apart from the aforementioned MF picks, lion V2 rockets have the similar nasty properties). As most DM's do not want the drones to get AI aggro it just adds a lot of extra headache to the class that is already on its way to Nerfsville.

It also doesn't make much sense conceptually. I mean, we fight in space right? So the enemy might be above or below us the projectile aimed at me does not necessarily pass though the space that my drone occupies when it "flies over it", unless we all fight on the same plane which isn't very realistic.

Anyways, may be I'm overestimating the problem, but I've seen a projectile that was aimed at me pass over my BFDs many times and if now every time that happens I'm going to lose a drone, I might as well start flying a dreadnought.

Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot

English Romantic poet John Keats.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:12 pm

HAL wrote:

Combat Mechanics
As Ivelios has pointed out, space is three dimensional. Simply laying waste to everything in your path is unrealistic in the extreme.

Stasis timer
You will now be able to see your shield bar regenerating while your ship is in stasis.
Bout time

Momentum weapon effects
I can see potential abuse to this, i.e. pushing yourself around in areas where you can't use engines.

Galaxy Ownership
I've always hated this idea, and I'm sorry to see it actually go in :( - 1 paying customer I'm afraid.

Cash
Credit drops have been significantly increased on bosses and ubers for next universe.
Once again about time, maybe you could extend this to increasing cash drops over all?

Drones
Most of the proposed drone changes have been implemented. Most importantly, if you scoop a drone and redeploy it, it will remember how many shields it had. Drone shields will regenerate while stored in your ship.

Putting this in before the big re-balance is a kick in the teeth for droners everywhere, please reconsider it.

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 pm
Main: Scybot 010
Level: 5469

Quote:
I can see potential abuse to this, i.e. pushing yourself around in areas where you can't use engines.

Could as well include it in the galaxy design, that would be pretty awesome.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:41 pm
Dev Team

Death-Warrant wrote:
HAL wrote:
Drones

Putting this in before the big re-balance is a kick in the teeth for droners everywhere, please reconsider it.

This isn't getting patched until the rebalance is done anyways.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:49 pm
Dev Team

Ivelios wrote:
So let's say an MF pick fires a projectile at me, I evade it, but it goes over my drones. Does that mean the drone will get hit? Because higher level AI do enough damage to kill most drones very quickly (apart from the aforementioned MF picks, lion V2 rockets have the similar nasty properties). As most DM's do not want the drones to get AI aggro it just adds a lot of extra headache to the class that is already on its way to Nerfsville.

Yes the drone will get hit. On the plus side you have a few options - the most obvious of which is to dodge away from your drones so that the shots you dodge won't risk hitting your drones. The alternative is to sit on your drones and absorb the damage. We will also probably introduce some specialized "tank" drones that you can put out as a meat shield to absorb damage, but they won't really do a whole lot of DPS.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

HAL wrote:

Combat Mechanics

Bad bad bad bad bad... picture a 2 resist zerker dread in bana. It sits on the queen, every bullet hits the dread and it doesnt even need to move to do so. Instant aggro control, easily healed. If the queen feels that a ship in the way is reason enough to use her eth laser on the real dps dealer then her damage has been cut in half.

Also fucks over capital ships in pvp and just about every dg run. We have a hard enough time dodging just the bullets fired at us, now we have to deal with dodging the bullets fired at all our allies as well.
When the base you are attacking is moving a dreadnought finds it difficult just to keep up with the damn thing, no way they can avoid the pulse as well, and a capship in the firing line of an achilles pulse doesnt have enough time to turn around before it is dead.

You say you can use a tanking capital ship as a barricade? Have you ever played a capital ship? They are not good tanks... the sheildmonkeys struggle to keep up the healage because you have shoddy resists and attract every bullet in the galaxy. There is also the small problem that a dreadnoughts sheilds are so large that time taken out to heal the dread is time that the rest of the squad is being torn apart.

Finally... space is 3D. I could accept planets and suns stopping your bullets, making ships stop your bullets is just ridiculous.

And I was so close to considering coming back for the rebalance.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:00 pm
Main: stargeneral
Level: 3284

Have to agree with Ives. whatabout primals and ubers in general. Drones will become more useless than they are already being made. I like how the suggestion works for ships however, and the other are very intersting as well, keep up the good work :)

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Stooch you cant stack resist augs, but i do understand your argument

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 pm
Main: NukeACow
Level: 7563

Death-Warrant wrote:
HAL wrote:

Combat Mechanics
As Ivelios has pointed out, space is three dimensional. Simply laying waste to everything in your path is unrealistic in the extreme.

Doesn't that also mean that ships could be ABOVE or BELOW a ship and you could be aiming at a pitch? That would mean that a cap ship sitting on top wouldn't actually block anything, you would just be looking at an overview.

Stasis timer
Bout time

Momentum weapon effects

Galaxy Ownership
I've always hated this idea, and I'm sorry to see it actually go in :( - 1 paying customer I'm afraid.

Cash
Once again about time, maybe you could extend this to increasing cash drops over all?

Drones

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:49 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

MagicSteve wrote:
HAL wrote:

Combat Mechanics

Bad bad bad bad bad... picture a 2 resist zerker dread in bana. It sits on the queen, every bullet hits the dread and it doesnt even need to move to do so. Instant aggro control, easily healed. If the queen feels that a ship in the way is reason enough to use her eth laser on the real dps dealer then her damage has been cut in half.

Also fucks over capital ships in pvp and just about every dg run. We have a hard enough time dodging just the bullets fired at us, now we have to deal with dodging the bullets fired at all our allies as well.
When the base you are attacking is moving a dreadnought finds it difficult just to keep up with the damn thing, no way they can avoid the pulse as well, and a capship in the firing line of an achilles pulse doesnt have enough time to turn around before it is dead.

You say you can use a tanking capital ship as a barricade? Have you ever played a capital ship? They are not good tanks... the sheildmonkeys struggle to keep up the healage because you have shoddy resists and attract every bullet in the galaxy. There is also the small problem that a dreadnoughts sheilds are so large that time taken out to heal the dread is time that the rest of the squad is being torn apart.

Finally... space is 3D. I could accept planets and suns stopping your bullets, making ships stop your bullets is just ridiculous.

And I was so close to considering coming back for the rebalance.

I have to agree. I dodge, strafe, and evade shots targeted at me. i'm not what you admins think capships are supposed to be. i'm quite fragile, almost like a giga EF frigate. I'll need to overshield to counter every thing hits me part. that means 2.5m shields in a FC dread. plus the regen to at least do 100k/5mins.

this makes it go from Zerker/shm to FC and slaves or gunner/2 shm.

it basically makes zerkers a small target like a SD

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:52 pm
Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2465

I dont like change!
Buy i know i cant change it :) . ALl sounds so so except that if oyu get into a path youll get killed . Only SD can avoid enemy fire .Didnt oyu said oyu want to reduce the difference in classes?

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next