Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Main: Immortal Paladin
Level: 207

Post Re: HAL's January Update
Voodoo wrote:
Still doesn't answer if stealthed, hostile, untargeted targets will get hit.

*Staring at admins for C2 preview*
Everyone join in!

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:07 am
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Voodoo wrote:

Yes you will get hit if stealthed. Of course there is no way for someone to fire a weapon that will actively track you if they can't see you on radar, so you are still at a huge advantage in combat.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619

HAL wrote:
Voodoo wrote:

Yes you will get hit if stealthed. Of course there is no way for someone to fire a weapon that will actively track you if they can't see you on radar, so you are still at a huge advantage in combat.

Hal 1 more question. If spray and pray is now a valid option can you make it so that you can fire continously even if you have nothing targetted?
If a stealth target shoots me I would like to be able to start spraying excomms hopefully rather than wait for him to shoot me again and try to target him before he restealths then be forced to hold down spacebar even when I know he isnt infront of me just because if I let go of spacebar I will have to wait for him to become visible again.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 am
Team: The Happy Campers
Main: Enji
Level: 1638

HAL wrote:
Currently its just a set value, though I do think its a good idea to have the weight of your target affect it.

It would indeed be nice... SS physics regarding weapon trajectories are already hard to understand sometimes (like shooting PC bullets sideway or from behind ;), and the impact on range).

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:07 pm
Dev Team

Just as an update, I got the code to set an amount of force behind the projectile working, so a light ship will be more affected than a heavy ship.

A ship that is infinitely heavy will not be affected at all
A ship that is the same weight as the force behind the projectile will be affected at a 1:1 ratio.
A ship that has no weight will be doubly affected by the impact.

The strict Newtonian Physics relationship between force and mass breaks down when we go below the 1:1 point for balance purposes. While heavy capital ships probably won't be affected significantly, a light fighter won't be completely tossed around like a toy by a strong impact.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:43 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: Churlish
Level: 3152

1) could add some kind of display or info on the shield of the scooped drones please.

2) seems that stealth is taking a hit here, if spray and pray can discover anything by seeing where bullets hit.

3) It will make high dph weaps fun to fire into a war though, fire and hope ftw.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 pm

pearsoa wrote:
1) could add some kind of display or info on the shield of the scooped drones please.

2) seems that stealth is taking a hit here, if spray and pray can discover anything by seeing where bullets hit.

3) It will make high dph weaps fun to fire into a war though, fire and hope ftw.

Cloaked ships are, essentially, invisible. That is far different from insubstantial. It should be possible for a cloaked ship to be hit by a stray shot. The ship is there. Right? So are the bullets. That the 2 would meet is right and proper.

Market

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

pearsoa wrote:

This will probably have to wait til C2.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:37 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Daggoth
Level: 3912

I havnt read all 9 pages, just the first one.

The only problem I see is with bullets hitting all things in the way.

What happens if I tap space bar in sol by mistake and pwn say... LN in a 1k sheiled speedy pax (for example). Then I would be in the shitter, DM after my blood and sol police agro.

And anyways even if its not in sol on an uber run I might hit my fellow players by mistake...

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Please double check on the sol thingy, it might be a way of pwning players taking refuge there (eg. if it was only hitting enemy players/ai then you could in theory kill them in sol.)

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:05 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

newman233 wrote:
I havnt read all 9 pages, just the first one.

The only problem I see is with bullets hitting all things in the way.

What happens if I tap space bar in sol by mistake and pwn say... LN in a 1k sheiled speedy pax (for example). Then I would be in the shitter, DM after my blood and sol police agro.

And anyways even if its not in sol on an uber run I might hit my fellow players by mistake...

Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Please double check on the sol thingy, it might be a way of pwning players taking refuge there (eg. if it was only hitting enemy players/ai then you could in theory kill them in sol.)

Kanga

All limits (safety lock, pvp) still apply, and only hostile targets are hit.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:06 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: Churlish
Level: 3152

so...if i get a lot of orbiting drones that will protect me from a Lion V2 rocket? sweet!

as for the stealthing, i think you will find people sweeping an area with cheap dispersal weaps to find stealthed ships, not really adding much to game play and another nerf to seer/sniper.

the "you are both in space why wouldn't they hit you" arguement is old and has been answered many times by "this is a game".

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

pearsoa wrote:
so...if i get a lot of orbiting drones that will protect me from a Lion V2 rocket? sweet!

as for the stealthing, i think you will find people sweeping an area with cheap dispersal weaps to find stealthed ships, not really adding much to game play and another nerf to seer/sniper.

the "you are both in space why wouldn't they hit you" arguement is old and has been answered many times by "this is a game".

Wow, mobile pests are gonna come back as the drone of choice when fighting UBERs. :lol:

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 pm
Dev Team

yugioh124 wrote:
Wow, mobile pests are gonna come back as the drone of choice when fighting UBERs. :lol:

They might be useful to randomly take some hits, but there really isn't going to be any guarantee that they will protect you like they used to. Also each drone is only going to absorb one shot at most, unlike the old system where an uber could waste 10+ shots on a single drone.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:28 pm
Main: Immortal Paladin
Level: 207

HAL wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:

They might be useful to randomly take some hits, but there really isn't going to be any guarantee that they will protect you like they used to. Also each drone is only going to absorb one shot at most, unlike the old system where an uber could waste 10+ shots on a single drone.

Nah, you just kite with regular pest drones.

And stealth classes are going to get the shit beat out of them now. Not only are our light ships going to be knocked around like coconuts in a hurricane, we aren't going to be able effectively use our class. I can name at least 2 weapons that will tell anyone where the seer is coming from.

*Staring at admins for C2 preview*
Everyone join in!

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:04 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

HAL wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:

Ah, I forgot about that new deployment limit. Too bad, they would have been amazing for stuff like Lions and Guardian, where they do huge 1-shot damage.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next