Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Post Re: HAL's January Update
Voodoo wrote:
And stealth classes are going to get the shit beat out of them now. Not only are our light ships going to be knocked around like coconuts in a hurricane, we aren't going to be able effectively use our class. I can name at least 2 weapons that will tell anyone where the seer is coming from.

The vast majority of weapons won't have knock back effects on them, so if you are getting knocked around like a coconut in a hurricane chances are its because your getting pwned by a boss. And if someone uses a faranji flower to figure out where a Seer is coming from, I think thats a valid tactic considering their options before pretty much amounted to waiting to take it up the rear.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:40 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Qu4NtuM
Level: 7799

HAL wrote:
One idea I am toying with is to give some ships a chance to "dodge" bullets that aren't targeted on you based on the type of ship you are flying.

For example, maybe fighters would have a 95% chance to dodge shots that aren't targeted at them because they are so small and agile (even if the AI controlling them is dumb).

You will need drones to be more or less immune too. Also you will need to make base weapons have a lower chance of hitting. Anyone who has ever fought 10 MF picks or jumped in a gal with mastery anni bases will know what I mean.

I have reasons for why I do things.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Voodoo wrote:
HAL wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
Wow, mobile pests are gonna come back as the drone of choice when fighting UBERs. :lol:

They might be useful to randomly take some hits, but there really isn't going to be any guarantee that they will protect you like they used to. Also each drone is only going to absorb one shot at most, unlike the old system where an uber could waste 10+ shots on a single drone.

Nah, you just kite with regular pest drones.

And stealth classes are going to get the shit beat out of them now. Not only are our light ships going to be knocked around like coconuts in a hurricane, we aren't going to be able effectively use our class. I can name at least 2 weapons that will tell anyone where the seer is coming from.

I can name three. Faranji Flower, Blosom, and Paragon.

then you have your spinning Zerker with 5 excomms, or with abstructors

oh look, everything that has 5+ bullets work like excomm. that means the full cata family of mid tech weps too.

O.O FC can annihilate seers too. /me pulls out his Radiation Cone and smites all seers and snipers in colo.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Black Marker
Level: 2930

well space is 3d indeed so we can assume that bullets go above or under ship that is invisible to shooter, how about that?

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:08 pm
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Sybir wrote:
well space is 3d indeed so we can assume that bullets go above or under ship that is invisible to shooter, how about that?

The fact that space is 3D doesnt mean that all bullets should go above or under, some of them would hit the target.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:45 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 3693

Quote:
The fact that space is 3D doesnt mean that all bullets should go above or under, some of them would hit the target.

True. However, according to you guys : This is a game that does not mirror how reality works.

Also : Just as you say, bullets that miss my ship might miss that of my friend. But that would depend on the distances between myself, my friend, and the shooter, as well as a sizable % miss chance on my friend too, based off those distances.

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:20 pm
over 9000!

vampire2948 wrote:
Quote:

True. However, according to you guys : This is a game that does not mirror how reality works.

Also : Just as you say, bullets that miss my ship might miss that of my friend. But that would depend on the distances between myself, my friend, and the shooter, as well as a sizable % miss chance on my friend too, based off those distances.

my head hurts. cant we keep it the way it was? i dont want to last 5 seconds in bana due to 100k bank.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:22 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Daggoth
Level: 3912

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
vampire2948 wrote:
Quote:

my head hurts. cant we keep it the way it was? i dont want to last 5 seconds in bana due to 100k bank.

Bring a Monk,

Don't bring a big ship,

Do bana on an alt,

Don't do bana.

Simple...

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:07 pm
over 9000!

but i go everywhere in my capships.

and besides, how do i get w20 in my capship if i dont go on bana runs? and no, i refuse to buy the things.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:49 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

To stop pip from bitching, I will move my posts from the most recent thread involving this to this rather old one.

Quote:
Here are a few random exploits I thought of, anyway:

Making a stealthy ship, following a zerker around that you are at war with and sitting on top of him while he uses torps/thoraxes, they will disappear as soon as they fire and the zerker will be useless.

Easily pwning seers/snipers, just start spamming excomms or another wep that covers a lot of area.

Pwning FCs even more easily, you can fire a few times and wipe out over a dozen fighters if they use cap ships, or simply kill multiple slaves at once if they do not.

Planting a resist-augged unforge and having an entire squad sit on the other side, you would be invincable to all non-heat bosses.

Radar 20, no radar required, just shoot randomly in The Dark. Eventually you will kill the AI.

Rendering high damage, high-RoF weps useless, just sit on top of a dread or something big, the sniper/seer will not be able to hit you.

Facing AI with missiles, you can shoot down an entire volley of them at once.

Getting around the one type of pest control rule by having one person take hits from a certian type, another person from another type.

And, of course, by combining a few, you get total invincability. Since your shots can only hit enemy targets, all you have to do is have your squad sit on top of a resist-augged unforge, or dread if you want. The people in the squad can fire without any problems, since the guy in the unforge/dread is a friend, but the AI can't do jack shit about it. Unforge/dread tanks whatever small amount of damage gets past it's resists, with a decent regen shield or a monkey healing him. Entire squad can concentrate on raw DPS, quickly annihilating whatever they are fighting.

Want more? I am sure there are far more than those, just ask and I will think of some others. Now can you PLEASE reconsider this idiotic change? Besides all the above exploits, you completely screw DMs and FCs over, since having aggro doesn't mean anything after this.

Quote:
Making an armada of shield-augged helga+ slaves, giving them a high-bank shield and defensive combat bot, would be far worse than pest drones. They tank for a while, absorbing many of the shots headed towards you with sheer numbers. When they die, you heal them, or simply dock and un-dock them to restore full shields. You wouldn't need to buy a very good type of GG, so after making them costs would be minimal.

Hell, you could use pest drones again, they would absorb enough damage to be well worth the space needed.

Same as the first one, only make slaves regen-augged, with a biowall or something. They get shot once or twice, die, heal in a few seconds, you revive them and let them do it again.

Not sure about this one, but if bullets can hit STASISED ships, that opens a whole new realm of brokenness, you can use the abovementioned slaves and not even revive them, just let them die and soak up the damage. Same with the dreadnought I mentioned in the last post.

Panthers become much easier, they have such low shields that you can use a zerker spamming in princess level to pwn any spawns that appear, as well as hurting cess.

Corrupted Guardian becomes impossible, since his fast-spawning swarm of Clops will take most of the hits.

Most non-UZ bosses become much easier, since if you have a cap ship with you there is almost no chance of you dying while OBAing out, as long as you stay close to him.

Healing AI will be easy, just use a non-eth wep like a rhino restruct, mark the AI as an enemy and start shooting w/e you want while sitting on the AI.

Seriously, there is no point at all in adding this feature, and it will completely change the game, moreso than the actual rebalance. You will need to do another, larger rebalance just to try and make this remotely stable.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3931

Too many changes Hal

Get the rebalance in, get it working and then see if these knockbacks and "hit any enemy" thing is needed.

I forsee things not working as predicted and then cried of "exploit" comming from all directions. The is certainly scope for that.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:30 am
Profile YIM
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Quote:
Making a stealthy ship, following a zerker around that you are at war with and sitting on top of him while he uses torps/thoraxes, they will disappear as soon as they fire and the zerker will be useless.

Thorax/torpedo shouldn't impact secondary targets unless they are actually armed.

Quote:
Easily pwning seers/snipers, just start spamming excomms or another wep that covers a lot of area.

Sounds good to me, if you can actually kill them this way more power to you.

Quote:
Pwning FCs even more easily, you can fire a few times and wipe out over a dozen fighters if they use cap ships, or simply kill multiple slaves at once if they do not.

I am concerned about the fate of fighters and missiles, I'm still not sure what to do about them, perhaps they should be immune to secondary fire (along with escape pods) because they are so small.

Quote:
Planting a resist-augged unforge and having an entire squad sit on the other side, you would be invincable to all non-heat bosses.

AI will take this into account when deciding who to attack and with what weapon. Almost all bosses have ethereal lasers as far as I know, if you can get this strategy to work in some situations then good for you.

Quote:
Radar 20, no radar required, just shoot randomly in The Dark. Eventually you will kill the AI.

I don't see a problem with that.

Quote:
Rendering high damage, high-RoF weps useless, just sit on top of a dread or something big, the sniper/seer will not be able to hit you.

I'm not sure how this renders high damage, high rof weapons useless.

Quote:
Facing AI with missiles, you can shoot down an entire volley of them at once.

Again I am concerned about this, similar to the problem with fighters.

Quote:
Getting around the one type of pest control rule by having one person take hits from a certian type, another person from another type.

I would call that strategy, not exploit.

Quote:
And, of course, by combining a few, you get total invincability. Since your shots can only hit enemy targets, all you have to do is have your squad sit on top of a resist-augged unforge, or dread if you want. The people in the squad can fire without any problems, since the guy in the unforge/dread is a friend, but the AI can't do jack shit about it. Unforge/dread tanks whatever small amount of damage gets past it's resists, with a decent regen shield or a monkey healing him. Entire squad can concentrate on raw DPS, quickly annihilating whatever they are fighting.

I think I addressed this above already.

Quote:
Want more? I am sure there are far more than those, just ask and I will think of some others. Now can you PLEASE reconsider this idiotic change? Besides all the above exploits, you completely screw DMs and FCs over, since having aggro doesn't mean anything after this.

Yes it does mean a lot, in fact more so than it did before because if you get aggro and put someone who shouldn't be in the line of fire into it by moving out of position, you just killed them.

Quote:
Making an armada of shield-augged helga+ slaves, giving them a high-bank shield and defensive combat bot, would be far worse than pest drones. They tank for a while, absorbing many of the shots headed towards you with sheer numbers. When they die, you heal them, or simply dock and un-dock them to restore full shields. You wouldn't need to buy a very good type of GG, so after making them costs would be minimal.

Mass low tech slaves have always been a problem, we have considered some ideas to reduce their effectiveness, however for now we will just leave them be because managing them is a huge pain in the ass.

Quote:
Hell, you could use pest drones again, they would absorb enough damage to be well worth the space needed.

You might as well just use envelopes, but the important point is that a pest drone would only absorb at most 1 shot whereas before an AI would fire off volleys at the drone while the bullets travelled, then turn to aim for the next one, etc.

Quote:
Same as the first one, only make slaves regen-augged, with a biowall or something. They get shot once or twice, die, heal in a few seconds, you revive them and let them do it again.

Again managing them will be a huge pain in the ass.

Quote:
Not sure about this one, but if bullets can hit STASISED ships, that opens a whole new realm of brokenness, you can use the abovementioned slaves and not even revive them, just let them die and soak up the damage. Same with the dreadnought I mentioned in the last post.

Obviously bullets won't hit stasis ships.

Quote:
Panthers become much easier, they have such low shields that you can use a zerker spamming in princess level to pwn any spawns that appear, as well as hurting cess.

Everything is getting rebalanced anyways, wait and see how difficult (or not) it will be.

Quote:
Corrupted Guardian becomes impossible, since his fast-spawning swarm of Clops will take most of the hits.

Most non-UZ bosses become much easier, since if you have a cap ship with you there is almost no chance of you dying while OBAing out, as long as you stay close to him.

Same as above, wait for UZ bosses to be rebalanced before assuming anything about them.

Quote:
Healing AI will be easy, just use a non-eth wep like a rhino restruct, mark the AI as an enemy and start shooting w/e you want while sitting on the AI.

Not going to happen, you might want to actually try these exploits on the test server before assuming they are possible. For a non ethereal healing weapon to hit something other than the intended target, that ship has to be a friend, not an enemy. NPC AI can never be friends with players, i.e. in the same team or squad.

Quote:
Seriously, there is no point at all in adding this feature, and it will completely change the game, moreso than the actual rebalance. You will need to do another, larger rebalance just to try and make this remotely stable.

The whole point of doing this during the rebalance is so that we can rebalance everything at once.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:38 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

By "no point", I mean not benificial to the game in any way. It would be like suddenly announcing that you now have to fly around planets, or else you crash into them and die. No reason to do it, just seemed fun to you, and the hell with the playerbase.

Besides that, all the changes this will bring will probs lead to a new rebalance. Mostly just pissed off because my newly made FC main is now fucked over AGAIN, he has high-damage slaves with somewhat crappy shields (Only about 30k with a defensive combat bot), and a dreadnought that is resist augged. I have to rush to grab aggro asap, to stop the AI from pwning my slaves, either before I can heal them or by outdoing my HPS. Now, it doesn't matter, since slaves are too damned stupid to dodge. One flies between me and an MF pick or a swarm of pretty much whatever the hell AI I am fighting, and it dies. Not fun. :cry:

Besides that, DMs will have the same problems, and any other FCs that don't use capital ships.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

yugioh124 wrote:
By "no point", I mean not benificial to the game in any way. It would be like suddenly announcing that you now have to fly around planets, or else you crash into them and die. No reason to do it, just seemed fun to you, and the hell with the playerbase.

Besides that, all the changes this will bring will probs lead to a new rebalance. Mostly just pissed off because my newly made FC main is now fucked over AGAIN, he has high-damage slaves with somewhat crappy shields (Only about 30k with a defensive combat bot), and a dreadnought that is resist augged. I have to rush to grab aggro asap, to stop the AI from pwning my slaves, either before I can heal them or by outdoing my HPS. Now, it doesn't matter, since slaves are too damned stupid to dodge. One flies between me and an MF pick or a swarm of pretty much whatever the hell AI I am fighting, and it dies. Not fun. :cry:

Besides that, DMs will have the same problems, and any other FCs that don't use capital ships.

As was said before, this was announced long ago and has been on test for several months. If you played at all on test you would see that its not that big of a deal.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:57 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3931

HAL it is obvious that you are going to implement these changes. I only hope u get the balance right :)

New question: I have nearly 500k of "FunkY Furniture" produced by the Iquea Workshop (which is built from a bp). The furniture takes 2 bobs and some cash so 500k is worth about 1b in commod prices alone. It was promised to be implemented as a colony commod but was later defered by Jeff. My question is: Is there any plan to make the items usable?

Currently you cannot even sell them.
I did hear a rumour that they were to be used in the new terraforming projects to be implemented this reset?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 am
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next