Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Colony Tick Display with Prom Limit?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 39 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 49

Post Re: Colony Tick Timer Display?
We'll I'm glad to see my work will be atleast considered and hope you (admins) do. I should probably say that it was well into the AM when I done this so there may be some minor errors.

@ battler,
I'll be expecting some royalties from joo, say 15%.
Muwahaha,
Muwahahaha

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm
Team: Terran Empire
Main: Fool
Level: 3024

Death-Warrant wrote:
First off, I wasn’t aware that Churchill's math was what the admins are using these days, but since Pip has said that's it, I‘ll go with that. Personally I think Churchill's calculations are far too simplistic and don’t accurately represents the actual trade environment, they give a very negative view of things. Moreover his calculations are based on profits made by a large and successful team ( which is obviously going to make them impressive ), where they should be confined to individual people and colonies.

The calculations were self evident. The # of ticks per day, the maximum profit for prom sales, and the "cap" were all known or given variables.

That calculation is not perfect, but then the maximum profit with the cap at 1000 is still better than any other commod you can sell to a colony.

Death-Warrant wrote:
It seems that the admins are worried about people grabbing a bunch of prom and adding it just before the colony ticks over, thus making a supposedly massive game breaking profit. Hence I’ve confined my calculations to this assumption, whether I disagree with it or not I might add. In my opinion the only way’s to have a quantities of promethium at hand is to:

A) Have a fully operational prom mine supplying so much prom that 2 hours of decay can still amount to having large amounts of prom available to sell to the colony and be capable of absorbing the costs of its production, as well as the general upkeep of the base itself. Some have already stated that they supply some 750 to 1,500 prom to one or more colonies, and I agree that's a reasonable amount for comparison. Now I can’t go ahead and do the math for this because of several reasons. The first is that I simply don’t know what formula the game uses to calculate prom decay, which I believe is the biggest cost to consider. I can make a simple sliding scale to approximate decay, but quite frankly this is highly inaccurate and I’m not going bother doing all that math for nothing.

B) The second way to have 1,000 plus promethium available is to buy it at the nearest AI base. In my opinion, this is the most likely way people get hold of bulk prom at short notice, for the purposes of selling to a colony. So the following calculations are based on this method.

You've left out methods C, D, and potentially E. All of which give maximized, or near maximized profit for minimal investment or loss. No, I'm not going to feed you the answers. By minimal loss, I mean 0 to 5-6 prom lost before the tick.

As I've written this, I've thought of at least 2 other ways, although they're modifications or enhancements to C, D, or E.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong or you think this unreasonable.

You're wrong, and have been fairly unreasonable in most of this discussion to date. But I digress.

Decay is simply a function of time from purchase to sale. If you're carting prom 20 jumps in a freighter, then 20% is low. If you're carting prom from an AI station that's in your galaxy and you're using a 4 hera locu, then you might not get any decay.

Death-Warrant wrote:
-------------
Buying.
1) P 1,200 @ C 7,500 = C 9,000,000
2) P 1,200 @ C 10,000 = C 12,000,000
3) P 1,200 @ C 15,000 = C 18,000,000
4) P 1,200 @ C 20,000 = C 24,000,000

1. Left out:
0) P 1,200 @ C 4000 = C 4,800,000.

Go look at Free Market. 4k is not the lowest it goes, but it made the math easier. Also consider, FM has planets that can have colonies on them, and the price is almost always very stable at that 4k mark.

In which case, you'd have:
case FM) P 1,000 @ C 4000 = 4,000,000

Death-Warrant wrote:
Per tick profits:
Assuming you sell at C 30,000 per unit every tick, this is not always the case of course.

P 1,000 @ C 30,000 = C 30,000,000

Sale Price (minus) Cost Price (equals) Profit
1) C 30,000,000 - C 9,000,000 = C 21,000,000
2) C 30,000,000 - C 12,000,000 = C 18,000,000
3) C 30,000,000 - C 18,00,000 = C 12,000,000
4) C 30,000,000 - 24,00,000 = C 6,000,000

0) C 30,000,000 - C 4,800,000 = C 25,200,000
FM) C 30,000,000 - C 4,000,000 = C 26,000,000

You should try any of those numbers vs _any_ other commodity sale, and see how huge they are.

Death-Warrant wrote:
-------------
Now daily profits:
This assumes you are at your computer 24 hours a day and are available for some 15 min’s every 2 hours to feed the colony. Personally I find this highly unlikely myself, even if you had a team-mate or two ( 8 hour shifts each ) help you out, the profits would likely be split between them.

P 1,000 @ C 30,000 = C 30,000,000 * 12 ticks = C 360,000,000
Profit (multiplied) by Tick (equals) Daily
1) C 21,000,000 * 12 = C 252,000,000
2) C 18,000,000 * 12 = C 216,000,000
3) C 12,000,000 * 12 = C 144,000,000
4) C 6,000,000 * 12 = C 72,000,000

Your assumption is flawed in several ways. Your own case A, gives a fully automated way (although inefficient as is) that doesn't involve any more time investment than any other produced commodity.

In cases C and D, the amount of time needed is less than 1 minute per 2 hours, per colony. In case E, no more time is needed than any other produced commodity.

Still, to continue your math:
0) C 25,200,000 * 12 = C 302,400,000
FM) C 26,000,000 * 12 = C 312,000,000

Death-Warrant wrote:
Now we move on to the monthly figures. We assume all the aforementioned is being done each and every day for 30 days. Quite a boring pursuit if you ask me, but meh.

Ever had to cap for your cash? Or haul prom between AI stations?

blah, blah, blah, lengthy pointless calculations deleted. We get the point that you think it's not alot of money and you have no concept of cooperation between teammembers to maximize profits for the two, 4, 12 of you.

Death-Warrant wrote:

-------------
As I think we can all see, the numbers don’t look so fierce when its broken down. The reality is that at the very best one could make up to 25 billion in 3 months. And that's with a hell of a lot of work as well as being awake and active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a full universe length and being alive at the end of it.

What you fail to see is that at a cap of 1000, the number you've assumed throughout, a person can make more money with minimal effort or skill by selling a single commod, than he could make by selling all other commods to that colony combined. And that's at your "average" prom cost numbers.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Simply put, if I spent the same about of time DGing as I would have to on this, I could make a great deal more cash, even selling it to AI, than what I’ve put up here.

Bullshit. Even using your assumptions, and time tables, you aren't going to make billions in 3 hours of DGing... definitely not consitently/over time.

Copper's a bit of a different matter, but at least only 1-2 people can camp it and make that kind of cash.

Death-Warrant wrote:
And just to add, the only thing a colony timer would add here is a little more precise timing. You would still have to do all the work yourself, that is unless we are proposing that the timer do all this for you :P

Your own words contradict this...

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Jester_Motley wrote:
Death-Warrant wrote:
First off, I wasn’t aware that Churchill's math was what the admins are using these days, but since Pip has said that's it, I‘ll go with that. Personally I think Churchill's calculations are far too simplistic and don’t accurately represents the actual trade environment, they give a very negative view of things. Moreover his calculations are based on profits made by a large and successful team ( which is obviously going to make them impressive ), where they should be confined to individual people and colonies.

The calculations were self evident. The # of ticks per day, the maximum profit for prom sales, and the "cap" were all known or given variables.

I think we are all aware that there are 12 ticks in a day, you may have noticed I included 12 tick calculations or maybe you didn‘t. “given variables“ ?, I‘ve asked for the “given“ variable to be “given“ by an Admin, not by another player with a proven track record of overestimating just about everything. Is that too much to ask? Perhaps it is. Moreover I‘ll submit that your distain for me is self evident, but I‘ll look past that and continue to attempt to address the points you‘ve raised here.

That calculation is not perfect, but then the maximum profit with the cap at 1000 is still better than any other commod you can sell to a colony.

I don’t recall stating that anything is perfect. The issue at hand is Promethium, not the other commodities available for sale to a colony. I’m sure we're all aware that prom has the greatest potential for profits compared to the other commodities, otherwise we wouldn’t use them and there’d be no need for this discussion would there. This cap is being applied to prom not rats or silicon.

Death-Warrant wrote:
It seems that the admins are worried about people grabbing a bunch of prom and adding it just before the colony ticks over, thus making a supposedly massive game breaking profit. Hence I’ve confined my calculations to this assumption, whether I disagree with it or not I might add. In my opinion the only way’s to have a quantities of promethium at hand is to:

A) Have a fully operational prom mine supplying so much prom that 2 hours of decay can still amount to having large amounts of prom available to sell to the colony and be capable of absorbing the costs of its production, as well as the general upkeep of the base itself. Some have already stated that they supply some 750 to 1,500 prom to one or more colonies, and I agree that's a reasonable amount for comparison. Now I can’t go ahead and do the math for this because of several reasons. The first is that I simply don’t know what formula the game uses to calculate prom decay, which I believe is the biggest cost to consider. I can make a simple sliding scale to approximate decay, but quite frankly this is highly inaccurate and I’m not going bother doing all that math for nothing.

B) The second way to have 1,000 plus promethium available is to buy it at the nearest AI base. In my opinion, this is the most likely way people get hold of bulk prom at short notice, for the purposes of selling to a colony. So the following calculations are based on this method.

You've left out methods C, D, and potentially E. All of which give maximized, or near maximized profit for minimal investment or loss. No, I'm not going to feed you the answers. By minimal loss, I mean 0 to 5-6 prom lost before the tick.

As I've written this, I've thought of at least 2 other ways, although they're modifications or enhancements to C, D, or E.

I know there are plenty of ways to feed your colony. I’m trying to deal with, as I see it, the main concerns expressed by the admins. That players will / do manually ship commodities in bulk in order to make huge profits. The list is not meant to be absolute, far from it. Also if you where to look at the top of each section, you‘ll noticed I‘ve included a calculation that incurs no decay and no cost of acquisition for the prom.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong or you think this unreasonable.

You're wrong, and have been fairly unreasonable in most of this discussion to date. But I digress.
Indeed, you very much digress. Taking a sentence out of context and trying to use it to support your argument, how clever of you.

Decay is simply a function of time from purchase to sale. If you're carting prom 20 jumps in a freighter, then 20% is low. If you're carting prom from an AI station that's in your galaxy and you're using a 4 hera locu, then you might not get any decay.

I know what decay is, I don’t need you to spell it out for me. I added 20% decay to represent an average loss whilst transporting the prom, adding it to the base and waiting a few moments until the colony actually ticked over. I don’t assume that the AI base is right next to the colony base, or that its even in the same galaxy. Many galaxies have no AI bases and thus would need to be transported 1 or more jumps. I’ve attempted to present an average, not an extreme here and elsewhere. If you feel 20% loss is too much, then present your own numbers or just say its too much, its not set in stone.

Death-Warrant wrote:
-------------
Buying.
1) P 1,200 @ C 7,500 = C 9,000,000
2) P 1,200 @ C 10,000 = C 12,000,000
3) P 1,200 @ C 15,000 = C 18,000,000
4) P 1,200 @ C 20,000 = C 24,000,000

1. Left out:
0) P 1,200 @ C 4000 = C 4,800,000.

Go look at Free Market. 4k is not the lowest it goes, but it made the math easier. Also consider, FM has planets that can have colonies on them, and the price is almost always very stable at that 4k mark.

In which case, you'd have:
case FM) P 1,000 @ C 4000 = 4,000,000

Once again, I’ve attempted to represent an average here and not an extreme. I’m perfectly aware that prom can be bought cheaper than 7,500 per unit. I’m also aware the FM has a finite amount of planetary base slots and thus can’t be exploited by the player base as a whole. Though I recognize that players can ship prom from FM to their galaxies, we then have to get into the issue of decay, which you’ve already dismissed as trivial.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Per tick profits:
Assuming you sell at C 30,000 per unit every tick, this is not always the case of course.

P 1,000 @ C 30,000 = C 30,000,000

Sale Price (minus) Cost Price (equals) Profit
1) C 30,000,000 - C 9,000,000 = C 21,000,000
2) C 30,000,000 - C 12,000,000 = C 18,000,000
3) C 30,000,000 - C 18,00,000 = C 12,000,000
4) C 30,000,000 - 24,00,000 = C 6,000,000

0) C 30,000,000 - C 4,800,000 = C 25,200,000
FM) C 30,000,000 - C 4,000,000 = C 26,000,000

You should try any of those numbers vs _any_ other commodity sale, and see how huge they are.

I don’t dispute that prom has greater profits than other commodities. Comparing it to other commodities is irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

Death-Warrant wrote:
-------------
Now daily profits:
This assumes you are at your computer 24 hours a day and are available for some 15 min’s every 2 hours to feed the colony. Personally I find this highly unlikely myself, even if you had a team-mate or two ( 8 hour shifts each ) help you out, the profits would likely be split between them.

P 1,000 @ C 30,000 = C 30,000,000 * 12 ticks = C 360,000,000
Profit (multiplied) by Tick (equals) Daily
1) C 21,000,000 * 12 = C 252,000,000
2) C 18,000,000 * 12 = C 216,000,000
3) C 12,000,000 * 12 = C 144,000,000
4) C 6,000,000 * 12 = C 72,000,000

Your assumption is flawed in several ways. Your own case A, gives a fully automated way (although inefficient as is) that doesn't involve any more time investment than any other produced commodity.

In cases C and D, the amount of time needed is less than 1 minute per 2 hours, per colony. In case E, no more time is needed than any other produced commodity.

Still, to continue your math:
0) C 25,200,000 * 12 = C 302,400,000
FM) C 26,000,000 * 12 = C 312,000,000

Let me reiterate, I’m not speaking of automation, I’m speaking of manual activities. The concern expressed by the admins. I‘m also not speaking of “produced“ commodities, I speak of purchased commodities.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Now we move on to the monthly figures. We assume all the aforementioned is being done each and every day for 30 days. Quite a boring pursuit if you ask me, but meh.

Ever had to cap for your cash? Or haul prom between AI stations?

blah, blah, blah, lengthy pointless calculations deleted. We get the point that you think it's not alot of money and you have no concept of cooperation between teammembers to maximize profits for the two, 4, 12 of you.

Yes, I’ve capped for cash, I think everyone has at one point or another. And yes I’ve traded prom and other stuff between bases. Cooperation only goes so far, as indicated, even when people cooperate on supplying prom, the profits would be split between them no? Or is your idea of cooperation one guy takes all.

Death-Warrant wrote:

-------------
As I think we can all see, the numbers don’t look so fierce when its broken down. The reality is that at the very best one could make up to 25 billion in 3 months. And that's with a hell of a lot of work as well as being awake and active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a full universe length and being alive at the end of it.

What you fail to see is that at a cap of 1000, the number you've assumed throughout, a person can make more money with minimal effort or skill by selling a single commod, than he could make by selling all other commods to that colony combined. And that's at your "average" prom cost numbers.

I haven't “assumed” a cap of 1,000 throughout. 1,000 is what has been stated from the outset. Would you expect me to start with some other arbitrary number and base everything from that? And once again, we are speaking of prom, comparing it to other commodities, manufactured or otherwise, is unnecessary, we are all acutely aware of prom‘s superior profit making ability. My average is meant to be exactly than “my average“, I know prom is available for less than 7,500 in some parts of the uni, but not all parts. I‘ll also point out that it was Pip who said 10,000 per from Sol, hence I included it in there.

Death-Warrant wrote:
Simply put, if I spent the same about of time DGing as I would have to on this, I could make a great deal more cash, even selling it to AI, than what I’ve put up here.

Bullshit. Even using your assumptions, and time tables, you aren't going to make billions in 3 hours of DGing... definitely not consitently/over time.

Copper's a bit of a different matter, but at least only 1-2 people can camp it and make that kind of cash.

While I admit, it is something of an overestimation here on my part. It is still possible to make significant amounts of hard cash from DGing and uber runs, as well as other activates such as camping Copper as you’ve mentioned, perhaps they don‘t compare to a well run, well tended, well set up colony? I‘ll leave that to ones own judgment.

Death-Warrant wrote:
And just to add, the only thing a colony timer would add here is a little more precise timing. You would still have to do all the work yourself, that is unless we are proposing that the timer do all this for you :P

Your own words contradict this...

They do? pray tell, how?
I’ve maintained throughout my various arguments here that the addition of a visible timer or countdown to the next tick will add a degree of precision to the bulk selling of prom to colonies, it won’t do the work for you. Yes I can probably expect to see an improvement in my profits, I still believe that a displayed timer will be little different than having say, a stopwatch or egg timer counting for you. All that you need do is sit and watch the colony for 2 hours to know its tick cycle, write it down and set your stopwatch or egg timer accordingly.

Over all, I'm growing weary of arguing this issue. I've stated my thoughts / concerns and attempted to back them up with numbers, it would seem something no-one else is willing to do to any extent.

All in all, you can all take my numbers or leave 'em. I'm not going to force you to adopt them as your new religion. Do as you please.

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:18 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

Locking the topic, we have what we need.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:31 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5